Kurobeimember
786 posts

Posted:
Just something that Ive been wondering about for no particular reason.......

I met an American girl called Nat at Summer Solstice who said she was amazed at the amount of male Poi spinners there.

Do you think that there ARE more male spinners than female ones and why?

I mean, theres no reason why there sould be, is there?

whats up with all the limitations?

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Ahem....

I have seen far more girlies with poi but I havent seen every twirler world wide... I guess we will never know the real truth...

It would be interesting if someone could estimate the no of spinners world wide... (both sexes)

Much love, drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I think there once was a poll about it , please check previous polls on that one

shine on
cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Shinova:thefiredemonmember
149 posts

Posted:
well.....i hav'nt seen any poi spinners. at all...., but i think there are a bit more male spinners.....i mean if you where a female looking for something fun which.....lookes more fun?
Two wads of flaming kevlar flying around you really fast, and if it hits you, you will be severly burned.
Or.....go scuba diving?
To a guy it looks cool and to a woman it looks dangerous.....and guys need sumfin' to impress the other gender.....

[ 21 August 2002, 00:06: Message edited by: Shinova:thefiredemon ]

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
Pardon me for the intrusion yo, But Shinova, I think you need to meet some more spinners before you jump in with comments like that one.

Perhaps all the girls you know are fire-fearing pussy's, but I know far more girl spinners than guys. I go to spin gatherings twice a week that bring in spinners from all over London, and most people I know have thought that Poi is a much more feminine toy (as oppose to staff say).

Thats not to say we think staff is for guys and poi is for girls, I don't think gender should come into stuff like this.

Before I shut-up I'm just gonna stress: NO FEMALE SPINNER I KNOW IS AFRIAD OF FIRE. We all know it's dangerous, male or female, it's fire, ofcoarse it's dangerous. That just makes us carefull.

xxx

Az abouve, So below...

4,224 posts

Posted:
::checks boobies::

I'm a woman

::checks scares all over body::

I am not affraid of fire but maybe I have to reconsider doing constant wraps with chains on bare skin ?

As the queen says eloquently I don't beleive in this chauvinist vision. No offense though Shinova, but I really think it suits both genders.
I don't think fire burns more on a woman skin than a male's skin allthough we have softer skin and we smell better

::checks own body temperature and goes back to bed::

shine on
Cassandra

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
i see more male then female for sure.

Non-Https Image Link

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

4,224 posts

Posted:
I actually saw more female than male at EJC ... same in France... maybe you should consider moving ?

Kurobeimember
786 posts

Posted:
this is turning out to be quite a heated topic!!

I have to say, I did see more male spinners at Solstice but DFQ, I also have to agree with you, I think if you had to choose, Poi would be a more femenine thing but sex shouldn't be an issue.

No woman I know is scared of fire in any big way, if anything Im more scared than they are but keep that under yer wide-brimmed hat huh?! hehe

Cass, I can smell that sweet aroma from here!!!

[ 21 August 2002, 02:51: Message edited by: Kurobei ]

whats up with all the limitations?

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
I have been told that traditionally Poi were used, for dances and training etc, by women and staff by men.

However I have met a wide variety of spinners and would say that there is a good split between male/female spinners over here. I think where people have said that there are a lot of men using poi to perform they come from somewhere that poi is traditionally a female activity and therefore you are less likely to see blokes spinning.

I have had a few people say stuff about this to me while I have been spinning but I just say 'I dont care, I just enjoy spinning '

Mark P

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
I feel that Mr P

Poi were created for the Mauri Women of New Zealand to improve co-ordination for battle.

But we've adopted them as dance/performance toys so I don't think that should hold any significance to the modern spinner...

Az abouve, So below...

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I've seen more male than female, but the female I've seen are really quite good.

149 posts

Posted:
sorry for having an opinion......
But why are are you yelling at me.....al i did was think how many people i ask if they would like to do learn poi with me none of them said yes after i told them that eventualy you will be able to spin fire......i am all alone he.....i can't wait to turn 18 so i can get the heck outta here to somewhere else. Sorry if i made you ladies mad but i was just answering a question

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I happened to notice most of the people that replied to this are in Europe. Well over here in the US, Poi is not considered a feminine thing at all. In fact there are *WAY* more guys than girls twirling poi. Come to one of our meets in Florida and see. Out of 15 performers, only one was female. heh And that's including all fire skills(poi, staff, breathing, etc)...

I guess it's just different depending on where you live, and the culture & history in your particular area of the art. Here poi & fire twirling is still a relatively new art. Lots of people come here who have never even heard of it let alone seen a fire spinner...

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

4,224 posts

Posted:
Shinova, no worries, sweetie !!! we were just joking around, don't take it bad

CRD, that's quite an interesting point actually , but on the other hand in the fire troops I know in the USA, they are either equally men / women or more women actually (I am think NYC, Boston, Seattle ....) I guess it is all relative.

shine on
Cassandra

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
there are more men in ANTHELION? i thought there were anyway. mebbe i'm wrong.

Anyhow, general east coast split seems to lean tworads men/boys, but not by much. (it used to be more i think)

From what i hear there are more girls in Santa Cruz/Bay Area ( i'd rather see more guys )

I don't know about Texas.... any texans from the main groups wanna pop up and say somtin?

Goddess_of_Pyre.... MI people?

oh, and i never see female glowstringers (or here about them) at raves, but apparently they are common at clubs??? (east coast again).

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

4,224 posts

Posted:
well..; there are 3 guys (4 ?) and 3 girls too, no ? ... am not sure anymore about anthelion... but a good balance anyway

I don't car if men of women, I'd like to see moer spinners in Paris ... no ... wait ... i'd like to see more warm and nice spinners in Paris ... yep ... that'd be my wish !!!!

shine on
Cassandra

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Oh, and Kinu?

You get to meet a female poi spinner who isn't that good this december

sorry to break the pattern

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

149 posts

Posted:
it's okay......i went to a movie rental the other day and they had all of the COL movies so i just might be able to get some people to stat twirling up in here........

Goddess_Of_Pyremember
107 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrian:
Goddess_of_Pyre.... MI people?

oh, and i never see female glowstringers (or here about them) at raves, but apparently they are common at clubs??? (east coast again).

After running into "many" poi'ers and glow swingers, along with liquid dancers within the clubs and various events and via the web I am finding out that the ratio for POI is higher with the women here in MI, and we have several fire breathers/blowers.... 6 I have met to date...5 where men and one was a girl..but she perferred POI and staff. I've ran into more "male" ravers, break dancers, but equal amounts of liquid dancers and many girls I've seen do what is called Pivot dancing... the female ravers who do glo in our clubs are half and half, male verses female..the females just tend to be drawn to the hand glo sticks or other forms of glo

Over all, I would have to say our ratio male verses females is pretty equal

And all my days are trances And all my nightly dreamsAre where thy gray eye glances And where thy footstep gleams-In what ethereal dances By what eternal streams. Edgar Allan PoeThe prophet is a fool and the religious man is fucking mad, and for the multitude of your sense and your inequity, and the great hatred......NANCY BOY

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
So far I know of 5 men that do anything with fire, but I only know about 17, maybe 18 people that do this. It's been very hard to find people to teach me. Especially when told by someone that he refused to even talk to me about because he was afraid of getting sued. (Even after I informed him that my parents not only approved, but were also doing it with me. Gotta go
Ashia

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Kyrian and Cass, there used to be 3 men and 3 women in Anthelion. Over the summer, it became 3 mean and 2 women. It is soon to become 3 men and 1 woman (January). And 2 men and 1 woman after that (March-April).

Yup.... moving on. :-(

Nomad

PS: Cass, there are really no nice poi/staff spinners in Paris? That sucks, cuz that's where I'm going...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Personally i find paired fire twirling performances better when the partners are a couple cus there is chemistry.
More than just fire.
More than just twirling.
More than just starting your sentences with just 'More than just...'.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I have a NZ mate (male) who says Poi is a girls toy and staff is more for men! Glad to see that lots of men are out there showing that poi is not just a girls toy. But this opinion existed in New Zealand as it is the Maori ladies who dance and sing with poi rather than the men.

Think we have talked about this before on a thread long time ago? Or am I having a matrix moment.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

HavocHavoc
168 posts

Posted:
ho hum... well the last time i checked i was a bloke! and i love me poi! ok so i am starting to dabble in the old staff business, but at present the learning process hasn't flowed as nicely with staff as with poi. Could be just me, or it could be that i am a bit of a girl, but i think that poi is for anyone that wants it!

as for the whole which sex spins more, i have seen more girlies doing it... could be that i have been paying more attention to the ladies, but then that would be me again!

i dunno!
Havoc

you have to let it all go... Fear, doubt and disbelief... Free your mind!

Times like these people wanna get High...
Real High and Real Fast...
This is gonna do it!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
My theory is that pois and testicles have an attraction for each-other, and that many men quickly realize this and subsequently decide to keep the poi on the DL after that...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

iluminaryfaeriemember
89 posts

Posted:
quick question: and why exactly does it matter?
seriously?
it's not a 'feminine thing'... just cuz the fire is on strings and not a big, 'manly' stick.
and it's not a 'masculine thing'...just cuz some people haven't met girls that aren't wussies...and trust me, they exist and in large numbers. they just might be in different circles than the one you're travelling.

it's an art that involves fire. now, is fire masculine or feminine? it's neither. so you can't catagorize it as either just because of the tools used to play with it.

and does it matter who spins it? all i have to say is F*CK GENDER!! people are people. people spinning fire are people spinning fire.

orangu-funking-tan