Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
What do you think the best kind of poi that isnt fire to use? I would like to use fire, but my parents are far from thrilled with the idea, so i guess I'll have to pursue alternative methods. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated. smile

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
GLOWSTICKS are great if a bit comercially used. beaming poi are also great and so are bag poi. You don't need to do fire. Sometimes I would much prefer to do normal poi. depends what mood your in.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
GlowSticks are what i use because as of three days ago, i didnt know what the hell POI was. (ive seen it but never knew what it was called) I will say, although i have never spun actual POI or practice POI, that i am pretty confident that it will feel alot different with the GSticks. Because of their shape and weight. The ball has a pendulum affect when you swing it, and can travel smoother on its own momentum when doing 4 and 5 beat weaves. Thus resulting in economized movement with the wrists. Glowsticks tend to spin untrue, even in simple moves. You constantly have to adjust their path. Then again i am using a set of 54" round shoelaces. I noticed the difference while watching the vidoes, and the paths of the POI. The hand movements and grips are a tad different also because you dont have to compensate for the size of the POI at the end of the strings.Just FYI...+ my $.02.I actually think that the POI would more fun to swing, and would feel more aesthetic. If that makes any since...BUT i love throwing the sticks..i do it almost everynight."On the eight day God created POI"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Lazerousmember
17 posts

Posted:
Well superman you're pretty much right. I'm in your shoes, as ive done glowsticks for almost 6 months now and never thought of anything else. I made some practice poi using some twine from a hardware store, some key rings, a small carabiner and a tennis ball. they move a lot better than glowsticks and tend to promote better control. i practice with the tennisball poi and then i try the same moves with the glowsticks and i find it easier to control the glowsticks. maybe because the tennisball poi much heavier and the muscles that i need to strengthen up are finally getting stronger. with each tennisball i put a keyring on the end of what would be the string so that i could put streamers or glowsticks. this (i hope, as ive never twirled fire yet) would approximate the weight much better and also give the visual effect. although since i also dance with just glowsticks, i also have a full set of photons, 5 for each hand, and they look great on the tennisballs too.

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
i my self only use glowsticks, and while some say they are to light to swing i have found this untrue. i have resently made some coment poi and with all the added drag form the tail i found them harder to do when attempting the 4 and 5 beat weaves. also iv learned how to control glowsticks ability to change paths sporatically, and from this i have created a series of variations the cant be done as easily with heavier wieghts. I have tried using all different wieghts while swinging and the very light glowstick weight seems to suit me (even though i doesnt suit everyone, everyone has their preference) This is one of my reasons iv never really wanted to swing fire------------------bring light into the night

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Well, it seems like glowsticks are the way to go! Im going to try to get myself some this weekend, see what theyre like. thanks for all the advice, 0.02, etc

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
LOLWell - as a late comer to this Id say...buy yourself a 4 foot blacklight (UV) tube and a batton (total cost $20 US tops) and make yourself some UV active comets. They really glow, never stop glowing as long as the tube lasts, and it will last for AGES.I've got one permanently set up in my living room, and my gf and I twirl just about every night with glowing comets running around us...you can also use outside, but the only problem is the bugs love UV too... smile)glowsticks are soo wasteful..Josh

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
I would like to try UV, but my room's ceiling is too low and i have nowhere to put it outside. Since glowsticks are too wasteful, i am thinking about making some beaming poi, especially since Malcolm has been so kind as to put uup some articles about it.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
quote:
glowsticks are soo wasteful..Josh
definately..major downside...i still practice with dead ones, and about once a month this party store by my house puts them on sale for about 89 cents each. so i stock up. what do you spin that glows in the blacklight??------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
There are a lot of fabrics which fluroesce (hmm spelling?) under UV light...that is, they return more visible light than they seem to have falling on them. Hence in a dark room they seem to glow. If you make some comets outa fluro kite fabric, the comets glow really brightly as they cruise around you.Id say they are about as bright as 1/2 spent glowsticks (ie very bright!) smile Also cuz they are comets, you have the beautiful flapping tails cruising around too...and if you want more glow, you add more UV tubes. Although I have to warn against having more than 6 4foots in a small room, the UV light can strain your eyes...Although, I have friends that assure me that after 4 hours exposure to high intensity UV eg 2*500W UV Floodlights in one living room your eyes adjust...Uv comets for me come a very close second to Fire...with glowsticks third.Josh.[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 16 March 2001).]

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Stumbled across this awful looking site: https://www.clubthings.com/toys.html
that sells a selection of electric and glow stuff for anyone looking for fire and glow stick alternatives.These look like a good bet, depending upon how indestructible they are: https://www.clubthings.com/product470.htmlDom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
wow, thats like a 9 month delay between posts.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks Alternativa!phunky...goes to show what using the search function and reviving some of those archives can do! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
i use 4 glowstick length metal bars wrapped in orange high reflect trail tape that looks like it glows under a dim light. it doesnt leave trails but its good for practice and when you cant afford gsticks. but if you hit yourself your gonna be bruised for a couple of days grin

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
i forgot to mention that i use 22 inch dog chains with a gstick or a rod at each end. i found thatit helps to do things like the one handed butterfly if you have both gsticks attached to one short chain instead of two long ones smile

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
metal bars? talk about masochistic...

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
UV poi are cool! I have a set of the zuni that are fantastic under a blacklight! They are alternating colors, too. I traded with the chick that headed this fire circus that came to a party last fall.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

MadGirlBettymember
13 posts

Posted:
Well, anything that can be chucked on the end of strings can be used, so be creative!I personally made practice poi with tennis balls... the hurt more than the fire ones though frownI like to play around with ideas. Does anyone think bicycle lights would be effective?