Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Manchester Spinners Meet up Info + Stuff

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
juggle weavesmiley Manchester Spinner’s Meet up and stuff weavesmiley juggle

Hi all If you are looking for people to spin poi with in the North west this is the place to be.

For any one new to this sight DON’T READ THE WHOLE THREAD it has been going a long time and contains lots of old information and chat about previous meet ups and organisation stuff just go to the last few posts to find out the most up-to-date information on current events.

First a bit of info the Manchester spinners lot is no professional spinning troop or organised events it is just a group of people who get together to enjoy themselves. The first meet up was organised way beck in September 04 https://delizium.fotopic.net/c291964.html

The crowd has changed a bit from back then but we have kept a few old timers we welcome all along to come and join us for a spin whether you be experienced or a complete beginner we are willing to teach and learn from you.

Their is no set time for the meet ups they are usually organised around when people can make it and how long they can stay.

I will try to update this first post as often as I can with the most up-to-date info on meet ups and club nights that allow spinning but if I'm being a bit lax just find the last few posts foe up-to-date info (like I said before weren’t you paying attention)

To date the standard meets have gone as meet up in Piccadilly gardens at 4pm (nice central point where every one can get to) Then move on down to the Gas Works/CastleField or Plat fields Park depending on the wether till everyone gets to cold/tired/burned then on to the pub

( anybody who doesn’t know where this is it can be arranged for someone to come meet you at the train station or wherever you are coming from .) smile

{ ubblove We are a nice bunch like that ubblove}

Accommodation for a night can usually be arranged but you need to sort this well in advance no just turning up expecting somewhere to sleep eek

(more to be added and all to be spell checked soon)

pm me any info you would like to add

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Well ill be going on the saturday (15th) probably, ide rather go on a sat given the choice between a fri or sat.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
spank TOBI! Stop that right now. spank

See what people say before you throw in the towel Mister. You never know there may be more people who can come to give you the birthday bumps on Friday than you think.

Why are you working on your birthday?? couldn't you get the time off so your birthday is not so pants in your eyes???

Gayle.....!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Toby hun, you know if we could get there we would! After all you are my favourate bladder squasher in the whole wide world! Did you give in and stop doing the squashing just because as a medical man you knew you could burst my bladder? Did you heck! Dedicated, thats what you are ubblol

I hope we get to see you in Manchester. I want to repay the bladder squashing with bear hugs biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
hug tobi, im sure theres loads who can make the fri too, i can come. and if not then why dont you pick another date that we can have a meet for your birthday. would be nice for you to make the sat but tis not going to work.

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I might be able to do friday after all now come to think of it.

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Oh Tobi we can't let you down!! hug I can pretty much make most days now and so can Cantus and the Great Unwashed err i mean students... biggrin

Or... just thinking out loud here - why not come to Northwich? you and Will ( and Jen and whoever) can come to mine - my gardens not huge but it's big enough to spin in and there's plenty of floor space to crash on and trains back to Manc on Saturday, that way we all get to see Gayle & Skully - and we can have a Saturday meet with everyone else...

Just a thought

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
i will see what i can swinga t work for sat night, but it seems doubtful cos im taking the previous sat off for my award ceremony, yeh u hear that, my award ceremony wink i'll see what i can do ok kiddies

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Written by: Wild Child

Or... just thinking out loud here - why not come to Northwich? you and Will ( and Jen and whoever) can come to mine - my gardens not huge but it's big enough to spin in and there's plenty of floor space to crash on and trains back to Manc on Saturday, that way we all get to see Gayle & Skully - and we can have a Saturday meet with everyone else...

Sounds good to me biggrin

Gayle.....!

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
As you can tell Gayle, we're not the most organised of HoPpers ubblol but we get there in the end - usually at the last minute but we get there ubbrollsmile

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
well atleast we've got past the point of someone trying to organise a spin 3 days before the date set tongue

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
true true ubblol

Euonymous Europeus

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
whoo sounds great biggrin

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)

missingnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Hello!

We are looking for a small group of people (2-4) Who are very talented indeed with fire poi, fire breathing etc.

As you should already know by now (I hope!) we are putting on another huge MISSING in Manchester party, but this time its legal, on Wed 19th October and we are linking together rockworld and music box. We are not allowed to use fire inside the club but we want to put on a display outside the doors to entertain the queue and to attract passers by. The pavement is not very wide so probably best done in the back of a pickup truck or something. You would need to be VERY careful to to drop anything on passers by on the pavement for obvious reasons! Any volunteers? If you perform 9.30-midnight you will get free tickets to the event.

Please email events@missinginmanchester.org.uk

Can I stress again please only apply if you are really confident that you can do it in a totally safe way in a busy, cramped public place with lots of people just a few feet away!

We are hoping to raise enough money with this event to get a public entertainment license for a real empty warehouse and we love poi so we will do our best to provide an area for fire poi etc. inside the warehouse! Please buy your tickets early and tell your friends all about it! More info on www.missinginmanchester.org.uk

Thanks!
Chris@MISSING

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
what kind of insurance cover would be provided you cant do ant outdoor public display without insurance and in not sure about the whole back of a truck thing sounds a bit sketchy.

I would be interested though will let you know if I can do it as soon as I find out when I'm working

Total safety is close to impossible but I am pretty confident I can spin within my abilities and still look impressive to the general public as long as I don’t try any thing to technical others on hear can vouch for my spinning ability.

There are a few other Manchester spinners I would feel confident with spinning fire in public and I'm sure they would be interested. Give them time to reply

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
^ I vouch for Tobi's ability and common sense

Also I might be up for it if i can get there, and the insurance question is sorted out...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

missingnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys! We cant provide any insurance for you, you would be performing outside the venue in a public place and public liability insurance (or lack of it) would be your own responsibility in the event of an accident. If you don't think fire is possible perhaps juggling with glowing clubs or something instead?
Cheers, Chris

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
get my ofduty 2 mos will let you know i im free

devilstarSILVER Member
blue haired pyrovixen monkey girl!
155 posts

Posted:
so, missing. You want a 2 1/2 hour fire/glow show in an inapropriate location (even if you provided the pick up truck, good luck with getting permission to leave it blocking up Oxford Rd for that long) with all public liability responasbility resting with the peformers, for a ticket worth £6?

Let me point you towards Frodo's reply to a similar offer.... [Old link]
& I would like to add that some of those fire peformers who's living we would be undercutting are good friends of mine.

I'm all up for spinning friendly space in clubs, it's fun, warm & you'll attract hobbiests like me to spin for free, but you're asking for a profesional show, for peanuts, in a bad location.

*sigh*
Ok, rant over biggrin as for the next meet, plans have changed & I can now make fri night, if you've got floor space for one more wild child? Tobi, that means there's a lift from Colne to Elaine's about 5.30 on fri night & back to Manchester Sat day (Any time before 3pm) if it's any use to you.

devil Blue is best, blue is beautiful
If I knew what I was looking for, I would have found it by now, but that would take all the fun out of it. - me
I never wanted to be different. I just wanted to be me - bmeshop.com

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Hi Missing, Im also interested in this, and I can vouch for the others aswell! Insurance wont be a problem for me either

As Tobi said totally safety is pretty much impossible, because your crowd is always unpredicatble, however if you are looking for people confident in their abilities to spin fire poi close to spectators I'm sure there are quite a few gems lying around here.

Personally I believe I am good enough to perform in front of a crowd and am confident in my abilities, I can also offer reasonably good Contact Juggling skills to offer to the crowd aswell

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

missingnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Written by: devilstar

so, missing. You want a 2 1/2 hour fire/glow show in an inapropriate location (even if you provided the pick up truck, good luck with getting permission to leave it blocking up Oxford Rd for that long) with all public liability responasbility resting with the peformers, for a ticket worth £6?

Let me point you towards Frodo's reply to a similar offer.... [Old link]

& I would like to add that some of those fire peformers who's living we would be undercutting are good friends of mine.

I'm all up for spinning friendly space in clubs, it's fun, warm & you'll attract hobbiests like me to spin for free, but you're asking for a profesional show, for peanuts, in a bad location.

*sigh*

This is an underground party, not a commercial one. We are not out to make a profit for personal gain and all but one of the performers inside the club are doing it for free or contributing towards costs so I don't see why it should be different outside. If we make a profit it will be reinvested in the next underground party. If you come to perform it should be primarily because you enjoy doing it and we'll give you a ready made crowd of people to do it in front of smile

We can probably arrange a truck for you if you think thats the best way to go. I think parking is permitted in front of the club at night.

Cheers!
EDITED_BY: missing (1128356589)

loki.c1687SILVER Member
addict
546 posts

Posted:
i think he came down abit hard on you chief...ubt the point he is trying to make is that if we hit someone it will cost US alot of money to settle this..... I normally work the clubs around manchester and would love to help out but i have be booked that night....sorry!I will do my best to if i can get someone there for you i think he'll come for a ticket and a drink tho....
Anyhoo dont rant at the poor man if hes the type of guy that sorts out free party's alot of spinners owe him....devilstar this kinda thing is all about makeing a good night for as many peeps as poss not makeing money...we should try to help thing's like this!!
mike.c

Rules and responsibities:
These are the ties that bind us.
We do what we do,because of who we are.
If we did otherwise,we would not be ourselves.
I will do what i have to do
And i will do what i must..

devilstarSILVER Member
blue haired pyrovixen monkey girl!
155 posts

Posted:
Yup, sorry, I missed the not for profit bit, that was pretty harsh. Call it a sore point redface I'd still have serious resevations about fire in public with no insurence.... It's not just the peformer's skill in question, you're average joe public will walk straight into your poi & turn around & blame you for it. If there was a way to seporate a spinning space..... but it's such a tight space. I do think a truck would be the safest way to go.

devil Blue is best, blue is beautiful
If I knew what I was looking for, I would have found it by now, but that would take all the fun out of it. - me
I never wanted to be different. I just wanted to be me - bmeshop.com

loki.c1687SILVER Member
addict
546 posts

Posted:
we have done outside rockworld b4 we had little problem just went across the street and we were fine as i have insurence im ok plus thew cops just watched
mike.c

Rules and responsibities:
These are the ties that bind us.
We do what we do,because of who we are.
If we did otherwise,we would not be ourselves.
I will do what i have to do
And i will do what i must..

lemmingladyGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
OK, I can't be bothered reading through 65 pages of thread!!! (I'm guessing the machester thing is popular) can anyone give me a brief summery 5000-6000 words including diagrams of what I missed umm

or failing that how do i get from train station to park? ubbrollsmile

I'd love to stay here and be normal....

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
hey there lemminglady, were having the next meet on sat 15th. im sure we can arrange someone meeting you on the day to show you the way smile

to all those i saw at liverpool, if your still interested and need a place to crash gimme a shout, and im sure theres other places too smile

Creater of Jenisms(TM)

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
At the risk of being clobbered for shouting - TOBI are you coming to mine on the Friday? It's in your honour - your very own birthday party and everyone's up for it but at the moment we don't know if the guest of honour's gonna be there!

And yes Hazzey, of course there's space for you hug

Euonymous Europeus

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
cough cough sat 15th??

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
im confuzzled redface

Creater of Jenisms(TM)

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Oh dear...

Gayle and Skully won't be up til 8ish on Friday so we won't be able to get to a meet in Manc on Friday (wouldn't get to Manc til 9 at the earliest and they'll be knackered from the journey)

Tobi's working on Sat and Will is too, so offer is there for you guys to come to Northwich on Friday night - spin, drink, food, music and stay over. Then we can do a Platt Feilds meet on Saturday with the rest of the Manc crew if everyone's up for it.

So....?

Euonymous Europeus

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
lol theres the main meet on saturday, and a few are going on friday couse the birthday boy (hope i got that right havnt read the posts in a while) cant make it that saturday.

How many epople are actualy going on the friday?

erm i think thats whats happening, am I right?

Page: ......