Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Manchester Spinners Meet up Info + Stuff

Login/Join to Participate
Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
juggle weavesmiley Manchester Spinner’s Meet up and stuff weavesmiley juggle

Hi all If you are looking for people to spin poi with in the North west this is the place to be.

For any one new to this sight DON’T READ THE WHOLE THREAD it has been going a long time and contains lots of old information and chat about previous meet ups and organisation stuff just go to the last few posts to find out the most up-to-date information on current events.

First a bit of info the Manchester spinners lot is no professional spinning troop or organised events it is just a group of people who get together to enjoy themselves. The first meet up was organised way beck in September 04 https://delizium.fotopic.net/c291964.html

The crowd has changed a bit from back then but we have kept a few old timers we welcome all along to come and join us for a spin whether you be experienced or a complete beginner we are willing to teach and learn from you.

Their is no set time for the meet ups they are usually organised around when people can make it and how long they can stay.

I will try to update this first post as often as I can with the most up-to-date info on meet ups and club nights that allow spinning but if I'm being a bit lax just find the last few posts foe up-to-date info (like I said before weren’t you paying attention)

To date the standard meets have gone as meet up in Piccadilly gardens at 4pm (nice central point where every one can get to) Then move on down to the Gas Works/CastleField or Plat fields Park depending on the wether till everyone gets to cold/tired/burned then on to the pub

( anybody who doesn’t know where this is it can be arranged for someone to come meet you at the train station or wherever you are coming from .) smile

{ ubblove We are a nice bunch like that ubblove}

Accommodation for a night can usually be arranged but you need to sort this well in advance no just turning up expecting somewhere to sleep eek

(more to be added and all to be spell checked soon)

pm me any info you would like to add

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
 Written by :shocked_prawn

*cough* start a new thread *cough*

Nasty affliction you've got there. You should get yourself some medicine hug rolleyes

Meh

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
The "medicine" has gone to Edinburgh. I saw him at the train station with Neon.

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Very droll Lowan, very droll... Coming to Wales?

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
right, its less than a week till were supposed to be going to shell island, so dare i ask what exactly is going on?

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Should you not be asking that in the other thread that Pete started on this very subject? confused

Meh

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
wink

[Old link]

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
I'm going to pre-empt Seye and say 3rd August. And actually make it this time.

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I think we should all meet up on the 3rd of August!
Hang on a minute...

Written by :PinkNigel

I'm going to pre-empt Seye and say 3rd August. And actually make it this time.

Beaten to it! wink

I should be able to make this one. I've got a whole week of work (doesnt happen all that often at the moment!) starting on the 4th so I will actually be around!

Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
A Miracle! smile

j/k

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Ooooh!!

2 meets in the space of 2 weeks? Madness! ubbloco

You'd think it was summer or something! tongue

Okay guys. I'm probably shooting myself in the foot here. In the wake of the loss of PLAY and its many workshops I've been thinking about the meets in general. In particular the heckles directed at myself! ('Stop practicing!' being the most memorable) I love you guys and the social aspect of the meets but feel people have been kinda slack on the spinning side of things!

spank

How would people feel if one hour out of the average 6 or so was dedicated to spinning? Nothing too formal but if people posted on here with either requests for mini workshops or offer to teach something. Whether it be the basics of a certain prop or one trick in particlar. Or even just a little jam just to get things going? Nothing too dogmatic that it takes the fun out of the meets.

For example I'd be more than willing to teach what staff stuff I do know and if more than one person wants to learn that particuar something then at least I know what to teach before I get there! On the other side of that. I'd love to learn more poi but also get to grips with juggling. A bit of hooping too. So if anyone is willing to teach me those I'd love it! Acrobalance too! I'd love a partner to learn with!

This might serve as a good icebreaker for newbies here too who feel to shy to come up to someone to ask them for help. (remember we were there once!)

Doesn't matter if it's a one-on-one or a group.

After that we can get back to poking Jen's boobs and stealing her cider! biggrin biggrin

How do people feel about that? The last thing I want to do is be an annoying know-it-all upstart but it's just a suggestion.

I'll be in my bunk...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Neon_Shaolin

After that we can get back to poking Jen's boobs and stealing her cider! biggrin biggrin

How do people feel about that?

Dunno.. I mean, I don't much like cider...

So who's bringing the mats for the acro stuff then? That's my only problem with what you've said...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
YaY! bouncebounce2bounceclap Dave, that's an excellent idea and pretty much sums up the little back-water we've drifted into.

More playing!! weavesmileyjuggle sunny biggrin

Have to say that moving to Castlefield changed things so we'll have to er... erm... oh yeah, concentrate and focus... or something umm ubbrollsmile

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I'll happily teach people things if I can. I suppose that would be devilstick, poi, staff (although dave is the man for that), etc.

Dave - Teach me some more staff stuff. Nothing too technical and geeky mind. The whole idea of minimal steves and the like makes me sleepy. More some pointers of how I can tidy stuff up. In return I can happily tell you all about Simta's latest poi geeksploits.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
whoop sounds good to me biggrin

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)

old hand
865 posts

Posted:
WHoop, its sounds liek a great plan, i dont tihnk therell be much i can tech any of you, but i can be an determined student smile

but unfortunatly i cannot make sunay 3rd as i will be in brighton hopefully.

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

FractosDirty Fire Project
133 posts

Posted:
good idea mate. i'll just have to learn something as there's nothin' i can teach (unless you like nunchuks, playing bass guitar or code writing).

oOo
You see, you already know circle-theory,
you just don't *know* that you know.

Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Very good idea Dave! I mean, some of us (like me) are very slack when it comes to learning new stuff, and also I feel like I've hit a bit of a brick wall. Also it would be a good time to generate some positive feedback about peoples spinning.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Cool!

What we could do is make a little wiki-style list here with two columns. One with a list of toys or tricks wanted and another for skills offered which people can copy, edit and paste in their own subsequent posts

Like so:-

WANTED
Contact staff - Rod
Anti-staff - Jane
Poi Stalls - Freddy

OFFERED
CONTACT STAFF - Dave
POI TANGLES - Jen
HOOP - Robyn

Then after people edit to include their own name either to teach or under those who want to teach. Like So -

WANTED
Club Juggling - Dave
Poi Stalls - Freddy

OFFERED
CONTACT STAFF - Dave
Rod, Seye, Zippy
ANTISPIN STAFF - Dave
Jane, Geoffrey
POI TANGLES - Jen
Dave, Bungle
HOOP - Robyn
Dave, George

Then another idea is to have a little show and tell where people who have learned something get the chance to show it off in a makeshift rountine or just a demo of one trick can do so in front of a non-judgemental audience who can offer helpful advice!

Then everyone who wants to burn do so all together in a mini-mass burn?

How does that sound?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
tis good idea. do sometimes feel odd when im the only one spinning at a meet.

im happy to geeksploit and geeksplain whatever

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
In that case

WANTED
The 'Oh-No' - Dave

OFFERED
CONTACT STAFF - Dave

Also if people (i.e you Sim) want to join in with teaching feel free! Help and a different perspective is always helpful!

biggrin

FractosDirty Fire Project
133 posts

Posted:
weirdly, i keep getting two emails from neon's posts. the text matches in both, but the first is from mcp!

oOo
You see, you already know circle-theory,
you just don't *know* that you know.

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i'f i wasa there, i'd offer people the chance to learn how to dance like a twat...just like me!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

old hand
865 posts

Posted:
am i the only one finding this wanted / offered thing confusing?

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
awww poor pidge is confuzzled!

awsome dave!

Creater of Jenisms(TM)

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Like this...

WANTED
The 'Oh-No' - Dave
Doubles Contact - Seye
Staff on Staff - Seye

OFFERED
CONTACT STAFF - Dave
Poi (General) - Seye
Poi Isolations - Seye
Devilstick (anything, including contact) - Seye

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Robyn it's simple. If there's something specific you want to learn which you know someone can teach you you just put your name and what it is you want to learn in the 'WANTED' list. And if someone is willing to teach you they will put their name in the the 'OFFERED' list with your name under them! And anyone else who's interested in learning!

Simple tongue

WANTED

The 'Oh-No' - Dave

OFFERED

CONTACT STAFF - Dave

DOUBLES/STAFF-ON-STAFF - Dave

Seye

POI(General) - Seye

Dave

POI ISOLATION - Seye

Dave

DEVILSTICK(anything, including contact) - Seye

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
dave, dont get why you need to put "on no" on your wanted list, all you do is put your hands on your face n do stuff tongue

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
So Sim...

WANTED

OFFERED
CONTACT STAFF - Dave
Seye
POI(General) - Seye
Dave
POI ISOLATION - Seye
Dave
The 'Oh-No' - Sim
Dave

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
WANTED

OFFERED
CONTACT STAFF - Dave
Seye
POI(General) - Seye
Dave
POI ISOLATION - Seye
Dave
The 'Oh-No' - Sim
Dave
G-STYLE POI - sim
SILLY NOT1.5 VARIATIONS - sim

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Anyone else want to learn anything?

Post anything (from real basics through to really geeky) and see if anyone can help.

I like this idea Dave - We should do it more often. biggrin