Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Manchester Spinners Meet up Info + Stuff

Login/Join to Participate
Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
juggle weavesmiley Manchester Spinner’s Meet up and stuff weavesmiley juggle

Hi all If you are looking for people to spin poi with in the North west this is the place to be.

For any one new to this sight DON’T READ THE WHOLE THREAD it has been going a long time and contains lots of old information and chat about previous meet ups and organisation stuff just go to the last few posts to find out the most up-to-date information on current events.

First a bit of info the Manchester spinners lot is no professional spinning troop or organised events it is just a group of people who get together to enjoy themselves. The first meet up was organised way beck in September 04 https://delizium.fotopic.net/c291964.html

The crowd has changed a bit from back then but we have kept a few old timers we welcome all along to come and join us for a spin whether you be experienced or a complete beginner we are willing to teach and learn from you.

Their is no set time for the meet ups they are usually organised around when people can make it and how long they can stay.

I will try to update this first post as often as I can with the most up-to-date info on meet ups and club nights that allow spinning but if I'm being a bit lax just find the last few posts foe up-to-date info (like I said before weren’t you paying attention)

To date the standard meets have gone as meet up in Piccadilly gardens at 4pm (nice central point where every one can get to) Then move on down to the Gas Works/CastleField or Plat fields Park depending on the wether till everyone gets to cold/tired/burned then on to the pub

( anybody who doesn’t know where this is it can be arranged for someone to come meet you at the train station or wherever you are coming from .) smile

{ ubblove We are a nice bunch like that ubblove}

Accommodation for a night can usually be arranged but you need to sort this well in advance no just turning up expecting somewhere to sleep eek

(more to be added and all to be spell checked soon)

pm me any info you would like to add

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Bubbles_cheers for the birthday guys smile was a good laugh

anyone able to help me find my intro thread? new hop is difficult frown

Was [Old link] not in your profile where you left it.

Originally Posted By: house_of_millCan you not just look at yourself anymore?

Ahem! Where were you on Sat?

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
bah i try add them to my watch list but it doesnt work frown

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I've just bumped it, silly Bubbles smile

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
im going to be home around the 15th of november till about about the 22nd smile any chance of a meet around then??

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I'm about ready for a meet, any idea when the next one will be?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Hey Willy, what brings you back up north? Haven't had a Manc meet with your esteemed presence in years...!

Okay, I propose that the next meet will take place on 15th Nov to accommodate the return of the Pidge...

If people so wish we could have one on the 9th too. Keep meaning to make things more regular anyway.

The weekend prior to that there is a fire night in Liverpool if anyone is interested. It is at 19:00 at St James Park,Liverpool Anglican Cathedral L1 7BY.

As usual we have a new excellent winter location at the Castlefield arches. Well not excellent in that it'll be indoors but excellent that it'll be sheltered and pretty...

Whadya guys think?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

old hand
865 posts

Posted:
yea thats great, and petey? would liftage be useful to you if i can remember how to drive after my prolonged period away form my car. hug

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

fire_fairy_liquidBRONZE Member
enthusiast
287 posts

Posted:
hey all

thanks for burning with me

enthusiast
287 posts

Posted:
is castlefield indoors? and how big we thinking the liverpool fire night? how many ppl you thinking will be there.... so tempted

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
The Liverpool crowd is growing strong. A rough estimate would say about ten at least but as you all know, spinners tends to be hippies who flakes out of meetings on occasion. Come along anyway, it will be fun!

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Neon_Shaolin
As usual we have a new excellent winter location at the Castlefield arches. Well not excellent in that it'll be indoors but excellent that it'll be sheltered and pretty...

Whadya guys think?

why is it not excellent that its indoors? would prefer an indoor meet when its cold and rainy. i dont understand what you mean by the arches, if you mean the ones just across from where we meet now then thats slightly covered???

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
It's not excellent that it's indoors. Because it's not... Remember the winter Gaswork meets? It's kinda like that but without the smack needles and graffiti and infinitely more shelter and lighting.

One idea I had to today was the possibility of hiring out studio space on a Sat/Sun at this place

https://www.sunshine-studios.co.uk

Yes it will get rid of the free-ness of the outdoor meets but nobody said indoor meets are cheap. In fact alot of indoor meets on HOP usually expect on average a £3-person charge. If people are happy to pay that I would gladly inquire further tomorrow.

What say you?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Sunshine studio sounds like a good idea. Just not too sure about the opening hours to be honest.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
yeah, I've just noticed they close at 6pm on weekends...

still if we meet at 3pm we could move to the outdoor location for fire if people want...

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Neon_ShaolinIt's not excellent that it's indoors. Because it's not... Remember the winter Gaswork meets? It's kinda like that but without the smack needles and graffiti and infinitely more shelter and lighting.

i still dont get where you mean, the arches in castlefield have alot less shelter than gasworks. you must mean somewhere else???

indoor meets are loads better, zero wind, any music will sound louder cos the sound doesnt escape as far, less sitting around huddled cos of the cold, the only thing you cant do is smoke and its easy enough to just step outside for a few mins.

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
It is a stone's throw away from where we usually are at Castlefield.

It's not the arches immediately to the left of the Amphitheater but it is on the same line (it's next to the battlements) and it's where several railway/tram bridges intersect creating a network of sheltering arches of various levels. For a better idea check out Pete's gallery here...

https://st3alth.com/manchester_spinners/2008-08-31_poi_meet/

If you or anyone else can think of an indoor spot other than the one I've suggested (the 6pm shutting time is an issue) that is :-

A) available on a Saturday/Sunday night
B) Easily accessible, especially to out-of-towners.
C) Won't cost an arm or a leg to hire out.

I'd gladly go for it! Otherwise we'll do what we've done for years, carried on like troopers and braved the cold!

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
I rekon taking it indoors would be a GRAT idea
Trouble is - who's gonna take the risk
I'd come and intend to when I arrive back in UK soon-ish
Good luck all

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: simtaOriginally Posted By: Neon_ShaolinIt's not excellent that it's indoors. Because it's not... Remember the winter Gaswork meets? It's kinda like that but without the smack needles and graffiti and infinitely more shelter and lighting.

i still dont get where you mean, the arches in castlefield have alot less shelter than gasworks. you must mean somewhere else???

indoor meets are loads better, zero wind, any music will sound louder cos the sound doesnt escape as far, less sitting around huddled cos of the cold, the only thing you cant do is smoke and its easy enough to just step outside for a few mins.

Its not the amphitheatre part. Castlefield is quite a big place. There are bits where the archeways are so enclosed by surrounding buildings and other archways that there is virtually no wind. They even had lights at night which was another bonus.

Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Yep, the new place is good an sheltered smile

Pidge - Yes Please! smile

old hand
865 posts

Posted:
ok, i warn you though my driving could be an ummmm adventure! hug

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Any more than usual?

Mind you, i'm an *ahem* adventurous driver myself, as most people can attest smile

yoyo22GOLD Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
right....im new to manchester. i know where castlefield is but where about exactly do u guys meet up. n wot time/day do u meet up?

enthusiast
287 posts

Posted:
hey guys there is a bonfire on platt fields this wednesday, i know its like really short notice and if anyone actually manages to read it in time il be impressed.... im thinking of taking my poi and doing a bit of spinning at the bonfire.... do you think that this will be allowed?

i really think that a few of us spinning at the bonfire will be cool!!! give us ya thoughts

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: fire_fairy_liquid do you think that this will be allowed?

At a council organised event? the words "not a f***ing chance" are in my head.

Perhaps if you managed to get in touch with the right people with a full risk assessment and details of your £5million public liability insurance you might have a very slim chance, but otherwise no. (even though you're right and it would be cool)

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: fire_fairy_liquidhey guys there is a bonfire on platt fields this wednesday, i know its like really short notice and if anyone actually manages to read it in time il be impressed.... im thinking of taking my poi and doing a bit of spinning at the bonfire.... do you think that this will be allowed?

i really think that a few of us spinning at the bonfire will be cool!!! give us ya thoughts
Unfortunately not buddy. As Nigel said you need to have loads of paperwork in place before the event. The police will be out in force too. It would be very risky and could potentially result in real problems with them. I'd go for glow stuff.

I cant go anyway. Got to work in Liverpool. Would have been good to see you. Its been aaaaaaaages!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I when to Sunshine studios yesterday and enquired about prices for studio space.

There is a smaller studio with mirrors and the like and is private which is £12.50 per hour. There's the huge studio for £25.50 ph. But there is also some communal areas just outside the studios which you can hang around for the £2 per person entry fee (on top of the studio hiring)

The main issue we has the 6:00pm closing time on a Sunday. One of the owners said (on the presumption that we will be there till 9pm) that if there are enough (i.e. paying) people he could arrange for someone to be there until we go.

There we go. Not perfect, not free but I just wanted to put it out there...

old hand
865 posts

Posted:
sounds good to me, id be happy to pay

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

enthusiast
287 posts

Posted:
well i have fouound the number for manchester events council and there is some real interest in there... they are having to speak to a manager of all the events and run a risk assessment, i have said that there may be a few of us that will be just spinning, not a show but people can watch if they like. they said that they have got a cornered off area that they were wondering what to do with it and they may be able to put us in there, they will be getting in touch with me again later today. just out of interest, if we are allowed to do it by the organisers, who would fancy it?

enthusiast
287 posts

Posted:
im thinking if it is allowed for us to get there about 6/7pm for a couple of hours till about 9.30??? if you fancy it can ya txt me and let me know so i can let the organisers know how many people are willing to do it.... im hoping i wont be on my tod lol
07716797022 is my mobie, any questions just txt us

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Who did you speak to on the Events team? I did a couple of jobs for them in the summer.

Risk assessment wise - do you want a copy of the one my mate did for a theatre show a couple of weeks ago so that you can get an idea of what it should look like?