Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Idea for doubles manipulation: translation + isolation

Login/Join to Participate

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
So here we go for my first staff thread:
This is something I found before christmas, and that I love. ubblove

What's the idea:
moving your staves in a translational movement vs oneanother.
combining this with staves isolations

In terms of mechanical engineering: a cam movement, just like your car's engine piston are
converting a translational move to a rotary torque via the camshaft.

How did I get to it:
working double staff isolation, and applying some wall-plane antispin weave move
(I wish I had had the time to shoot my antiweave to highlight the relationship)

Here we go with my preliminary trials:

=>vertical/horizontal translation:
I've tried to "split" the isolated staff(the long one consisting of the two) vertically, horizontally and inclined (45° vs gravity)
I found it smoother when done inclined. I believe this trick might be a way to gain more understanding of wtf you're doin' when antiweaving (poi of course)

=> BTB waistwarp translationals,
here I also used inclined translations. It's only done forward on the video... gotta work out the reverse

=> BTH / windmill:
I've been using my favorite crossers: opposite (hip&shoulder) to get in this bth isolation.
I really need to work it out in order to have a smooth mix with windmill

I've only been moving my staves in the same direction so far!! .. Let's try that opposite:
=> translational reverse (waving) :
Start with an inclined translation and before you reach the end of the translational path (1/2 the length of the staff I think), reverse direction & translate in reverse path.

Sorry if the videos are a bit cheasy (especially the windmill version), but, as it's new to me, it's far from beeing smooth yet!!
Haven't tried it on fire yet .. and I'm dying to see it .. wikkid patterns in sight (really wonder how much my armpits gonna get burned with the BTB version)

Feedback hightly appreciated
Enjoy
Olive

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Thats some really nice ideas I think it's when it's smooth enough it'll look wicked with fire. I've been working on simalar stuff with staff isolations but i'd always done the translations over about 5 rotations and never thought to about speeding them up.

just thought this which might look really nice mixed in to this stuff would be T isolations (make a T with the staffs and isolate around the point where the staffs meet) and then translate them (some how) to another T with the staff swooped. humm think i'm going have go and play.

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Like the ideas man, isolations is summit ive been trying to do recently, difficult with doubles in either hand, god dam crap arm ruins it!

But hey like very much - although i havnt got to see vids yet - they are not working for some reason - is the site down or BW up?

Cheers for the idea anyhows Olive weavesmiley

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
Hey thanks for the nice replies smile

Strugz>> try again, maybe my mate was updating the site at the moment you tried to connect it, otherwise msn> spinninolive@yahoo.fr

Tim>> I had a couple of trials with the T isolation, but couldn't foresee anything nifty yet
I have found another cross translation, that I have forgotten to shoot last sunday.

description trial:
hold the cross w/ both hands, inclined it 45° vs gravity. Move your hand inward horizontally & equaly (to keep the symmetry) until both upper wicks are in contact. Then move outward (horizontal translation) to reach the cross start position, keep going till the lower wicks are in contact.
distance between cross-point and the whicks should be the same for both staff
turn around and move it around you.

ASCII style trials:
start like this:
\/ /\
/\ then it should look like this / \
then back to the start position, then like this
\ /
\/
try crossers to move it around ;-)

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
f@ck ASCII doesn't work .. "tabs" or "space" seems to be rejected frown

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
then forget the "/\" above "then":
cross, then V, then cross, then /\

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
Strugz> for your isloation: don't grasp the staves, hold them loosely, and do the same move as with poi; so that you really use the inertia not your wirst bendability ;-)

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Looking lovely mate!

Nice one biggrin

monkeys ate my brain

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Hooorah!

Vids helped muchly, thanx man smile

I never thought of the whole "sliding" motion before - where one staff passes the other to ease the turn of the isolation......... nice!

***runs outside to try***

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
after putting abit of work into T isolation I've decided they far to arty for me the only person would could get away with doing them is Glass wink

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
This is a concept I've been working with for a few months too. I came to it by a very different direction tho...I was playing with completely isolated snakes on swinging clubs (ie club stays still in space, arm and body curl and uncurl around it) and I realised it could be done around the body, and with both clubs paralell / aligned. then it was just translating to the sticks, and voila! a very similar technique was borne. I didnt (until next sesh wink) combine them with isos...nice work!

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Your T Isolations, I thought they looked toilet, I've never touched them.
Glad to hear you agree tongue smile

Olive: some nice stuff smile

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the comments smile

Josh> Are u the Josh from "under the bridge II aka snake handling" video ? .. if so .. love yer vids
I've just started back my club-swing, after a year of lazyness.
I've adpated the "translational reverse" move to it using the snake, and some inclined direction. It looks brilliant, and even more, if at the end of the translation, you release the snake grasp to do a revolution, and then lock the snake again before translating in the other direction
Have a trial !

I think the T-iso might gain some interest if done with double cross (4 staves), especially if one is able to change the cross-grasp to T-grasp (not that tuff, if done horizontal or vertical)

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
yeah I'm that Josh smile glad you liked the vid smile

I'll try that translation you speak of.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!