Forums > Help! > Fire Breathing help.....yes i did a search

Login/Join to Participate

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
ok i have done a search on this, and no one has brought it up (or i just couldnt find it)

now i use lamp oil (ultra pure) to breath with, the problem is my bottom lip and chin ALWAYS get so chapped that they peel forthe next few days.........so heres my question........what can i do ir use to help prevent this or clear it up faster?

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
First off, perhaps try and get your mist a bit better so less drips onto your lips/chin to prevent the problem in the first place. Of course, its not as easy as it sounds and regardless, youll pretty much always get some on ya. Thats why when I breathe I always hold a dry rag in my non-torch holding hand. After every breath I wipe any dribble which greatly reduces the chappedness since its not just absorbing into your skin the whole time. This should help out a lot as long as you arent breathing like 50 times per day. Beyond that, if your stuff stil gets irritated, I suppose some vaseline or lip balm could help you out a tad, but cant say for sure as Ive never really bothered with it.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Try using Vasalene on your lips...

or petroleum jelly....

or is it KY Jelly?

umm

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Ok, I'm going to make the following two assumptions, since you've not specifically mentioned it, that being (1) that with the peeling / chafing there is a considerable amount of irritation and (2) that this is not the result of topical 1st burning which will also result in potential peeling and general redness (this is a technique problem that you would need to address)

So what to do, personal hygene, that is after your live fire breathing the use of 'baby wipes' or other wetwipe with natural moisteriser is highly recomended, (important note here, some of these products are quite inflamable) so not to be used in between fire breathing. make sure you thouroughly clean the whole facial area, if you don't want to use baby wipes use a derma friendly soap.

Now it does sound to me that it's a little late for this preventory approach, so I'm going to recomend a visit to your local GP, inform them that you practice fire breathing and work with parafin / lamp oil, it sounds to me that you've developed a form of topical dermatitis to the muzle area, this is not uncommmon or particualarly problematic, consider it one of the 'less' serious health risks associated with the oral fire arts.

Now in my fire first aid kit I have a particular cream which is used to treat inflamed skin conditions such as eczema and contact dermatitis and combats certain fungal and bacterial infections, it is available as a non prescription preparation but it is not intended to applied to your face unless your doctor has told you to.

Bottom line is this, I'm not a doctor and have no specific medical training, your condition sounds like it shares certain similarities to topical dermatitis, but please go and consult your gp for advice, you will find them very heplful.

mark
EDITED_BY: marco (1106260747)

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
dont use vaseline on your lips when fire breathing. It will burn you.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yes, sorry I didnt clarify. Do not use vaseline while youre breathing. I was saying to use it to help heal or soothe the chapped skin.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
and my excuse is that im just a retard...

rolleyes

1,489 posts

Posted:
i do the rag thing and it doesn't realy help.......i have read the fire breathing section on here about 10 times before i even thought about geting into this........

marco, i may have to look into what you said. can you tell me the name of the cream? ill go to my doc and see if its ok to use on my face

p.s. topical dermatitis of the muzle area ubblol that made me laugh ubblol

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
"topical dermatitis of the muzle area that made me laugh"

lol, yeah I thought it would, seriously see a GP about this, since I have no specific medical training, the cream I use very occaisionally is called Daktacort, this is a mild topical steroid (not to be confused with anabolic steroids) with anti fungal properties which destroy some bacteria and fungi thought to be responsible for 'certain' skin inferctions.

This 'medicine' should only ever be used on your face if your doctor has specifically told you to, remember medicines can cause harm even if symptoms appear similar.

If you want a non medical approach to this, you could also try Wrights traditional soap which has antiseptic properties, something else that lives in my fire first aid kit.

mark

1,489 posts

Posted:
ok thanks man i wrote tthose names down, hope it not just a product in the UK......

but is there anything i can put on my lip before i breath?

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Essentially, not that I'm aware of and being a professional performer, and this is an area I have extensively looked into, some thoughts though, your going to need a 'non toxic', fully aqueous based barrier cream, most of the barrier creams I've looked into have a solvent based carrier system that itself will ignite, you might want to look at someting called methlycellulose, it's a food thickner in it's purified form and in the uk is called natrasol, it's a powder based preparation that is made up with cold water. Have a look at some of the barrier creams intended for use in derma unfriendly industries such as glass fibre laying up, although I already have and the products I looked into were not suitable for application around the muzle area.

mark

1,489 posts

Posted:
thanks marco ill let you know what i turn up beerchug

i appreciate the input friend

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Ok, you might find this a little more useful, a long conversation with a very nice lady at the local pharmacy has resulted in the follwing,

Firstly

Aqueous cream, completely water based material thus non combustable, used for treating burns etc, might go under differing names in other countries though, non toxic, for external use only (duh)

Secondly

A possibly proprietary product called Savlon Barrier cream, I'm including a list of ingredients mainly to make sure anyone reading this IS FULLY AWARE that this contains POTENTIALLY inflamable carrier solvents.

Aqua, arachis hypogaea, stearic acid, talc, PARAFFINUM liquidium, magnesium stearate, TRIETHANOLAMINE, CETEARLY ACLOHOL, methylparaben, propylparaben.

Firstly I make no particular claim to the suitability of this as a non flamable barrier cream, what I will say is that testing this material has demonstrated that it is extremely difficult to ignite, main findings were that when applied (spread accross) a kevlar wick the sustained application of ignition source failed to produce combustion, this was tested with varying amounts.

If your going to even consider using this material in conjuction with the oral fire arts, make sure you fully evaluate it's flamable properties,

Not for internal use, and again i make no claims about it's suitability.

mark

edited

Neither of these products are suitable for use where the skin has already been inflamed, do not apply to skin that is already cracked / chaffed / peeling etc.

EDITED_BY: marco (1106319601)

1,489 posts

Posted:
ok from now on any questions on frie breathing im PM'ing directly to you marco wink

i think the info you have gien me will put me in he right direction, thanks alot man.....

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
you might just have sensitive skin...ask yourself:
am I wiping the excess fuel off my face/neck with a towel every blow or so?
have i PRACTICED enough to the point to where i have little or no dribble when i blow?

as a side note
ive heard of this barrier cream but cant find it anywhere, sorta like the biofax 2000 liquid fire retardant..cant find it anywhere either

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

1,489 posts

Posted:
ill tell you what i am having a hard time geting (not finding) is bio-deisel........i used it once and no skin reaction......and the taste is not as bad as lamp oil either