Page:
FireKittenSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:

Is it humanly possible in poi to impress your friends after three weeks of practising from scratch? I want some simple yet effective move ideas that I can learn fairly quickly. Thankyou hunni bunni spinni winnies! angel

xX Twist and twirl to trance and techno Xx

Wonder MonkeyBRONZE Member
Certainly confused
121 posts

Posted:
Hello wavehello

i dont see why not.

I think, as long as you can do the moves pretty cleanly, then people who cant do anything will be impressed - if they aint offer them to try and see how quickly they come a cropper biggrin

Perhaps working on a short routine of the the things you know well is the way to go?

Im new to Poi also and my friends are pretty impressed whenever I do something new - mainly because they cant, so there's a kinda 'awe' element involved - particualrly when doing reverse.

But then I only can do a handful of moves, and have no idea what soem people here are going on about when they talk about moves - they speak the language of experience, and I dont have enough of that behind me yet.

Either way, good luck smile

My Mummy Says Im Special

bounce ubbloco bounce

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I would say learn how to transition (go from one move to the next) well. If you look like you know what you are doing, then people who have never seen poi will be impressed. It doesn't take a whole lot of speed or fancy moves to accomplish that.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
weave

windmill

butterfly

corkscrew

turning

stalls

Make them work together and you're sorted.

and to impress those who've never seen fire spinning just go really quick, for everyone I've spun for who hasn't seen it the look of wow on their faces when it appears to be more dangerous always comes during the very short fast parts.

Sorted. biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
i think most people who can't poi think most things look relly good. the important thing is to not a few tricks to altenate between, and to make the transition smooth.
and when you show them; think of the way you show them... don't the the flashiest things first and so on.
good luck

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I'd add overhead butterfly, leg wraps, mexican wave, and if you're very lucky reverse weave and weave turns.

(no harm in being optimistic! wink )

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
if you haven't found them yet... check the "free lessons" on this site. most of them is quite easy and it really gives an idea with the images.... (hmm. i've really bad english)

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Great topic, My suggestion is dance. Move jump whatever you want while spinning poi. One of the performers im my group is very exciting to watch and the audience thinks he is the best out there. But all he does is half turns, forward weave and spinnig at his sides. Technical spinning is one way to go, but the other extreme is dance. Have fun, if your enjoying yourself, the audience will pick up on that.
biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
Hi, I just joined and am more of a novice than you. I agree with cody - dance will liven up even very basic moves. (seems like some of these posters are very optimistic about how much you can learn in just a few weeks) I've been taking a class, and there's a major difference between people who just stand there, or even just take a few steps forward and back, and those who put their whole bodies into it. Adding extensions also makes a move look completely different to the uninitiated and you don't have to learn anything new.

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
Duncs list pretty much sums up the easy moves

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

FireKittenSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:

*Throws a big pebble at the weave* I'm trying to learn that, it seems so easy but its so hard to get.

Certainly confused
121 posts

Posted:
It is indeed a most frustrating move when you first learn (like me!)

It may help to break down the movement - start with one poi.

Study a video? (loads here n motsplace)

Its tricky tho, especially without anyone to really show you what you are doing wrong. I learnt so much in an hour purely becasue a friend of mine was really good and showed me where I was going wrong (with often sterility inducing results...)

Keep at it, it will click, and then you'll wonder what the fuss was about

smile

My Mummy Says Im Special

bounce ubbloco bounce

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Three weeks? if your friend know poi spinning,,,,no
If your friends don't know poi spinning then,,,,maybe.

I was doing fire shows on the beach after only three weeks practice but I took lessons form someone who knew how to teach. I managed to pick up the three beat weave in a day, something I never would have achieved if I'd tried to learn this pattern on my own.

You're in the U.K. right? so it shouldn't be that much of a problem finding someone to teach you to spin, Guaranteed,,,,,by taking lessons you'll learn more, faster than trying to figure it out from videos and text.

Good luck

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
i've no idea where Gloucester is but if its anywhere near manchester i reccomend goidn to one of the meets there.
i started spinning a day before one of the meets and people will teach stuff there. they're a really friendly bunch of people and you'll have a laugh.
one of them even brought a pogo stick with him tongue

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

Ravenhillmember
47 posts

Posted:
Listen to music, your favourite (one with a decent beat, obviously...)

Keep in time with it, sing along to it, dance to it like you would normally do. Just spinning socks around as well... weavesmiley

Then stand there like a monkey for hours, getting tangled trying to transition from one move to another.

IMO, these are the most important (grasshopper...!):

Dancing with the poi
Fluid transitions between moves.

Usefully, getting good at either of these with naturally increase your talent with the other.

But always listen to music. You don't notice how much it helps until you're stood there in silence, tied in knots.

They are guides. They are teachers. They are like Yoda, only smaller and on strings.

--Meenik on poi

nucleonnewbie
404 posts

Posted:
well, I would say that you just should make it look difficult. and what I did in teh beginning to learn was lookan at soem vid or pics on the internet on this site and others, for a couple of minutes, and then trieing to do it myself for 5 mins or something. repeat that 5 times a day. and you will learn a new trick every day (in the first few weeks that is).

so you think Im not a newbie? Ok I'll be the King of the newbies. Nucleon the king of all noobs

FireKittenSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:

Well I have three shiny new bruises! but no weave just yet! I think im getting it though its the the part where to bring them across your body to the other side that I either hit myself or lose it.

Passi0n pixienewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Hi peeps

Could anyone tell me an easy way of spinning behind ya back..cos i am stuck and getting a lil miffed at doing it..

x

Rainbow smiles and pixie kisses smile

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Do a search for "BTB" - there's thousands of threads about it already...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Certainly confused
121 posts

Posted:
Written by: FireKitten

Well I have three shiny new bruises! but no weave just yet! I think im getting it though its the the part where to bring them across your body to the other side that I either hit myself or lose it.

Persevere and it'llall turn otu nice again. I was trying to teach a friedn the 3beat weave, but he couldnt get it for ages, kept clanging himslef liek a trooper, adn gave up, then he picks them up, braves putting the hand under the otehr, struggles briefly, then presto before repeating those infamous words...

'its easy when you know how' smile

My Mummy Says Im Special

bounce ubbloco bounce

goagirlnewbie
18 posts

Posted:
yesterday i was outside to try new things .
i had ma walkman with my and ...
it was just great i like to move with ma poi s and dance .
it looks different , better !
i also learn 2 new bets the wave and the crocrew ,
just lucky ! i dont now !
i like to swing on psy-trance !!!!!

sorry bad enlisch !! bounce weavesmiley bounce

NantheosSILVER Member
82 posts

Posted:
It is very possible to learn an kind of impressive routine in a matter of days... I worked with practice poi for 3 days, and on the third day I did the fire stuff. Anything you do smoothly with fire looks cool to people who don't do poi. I did do the 2 bt weave in 10 seconds though ... So I'm slightly cheating...

Hij die zijn kind benzine voert moet niet roken als het boert.

Love you MyIng ubblove

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
hmm...i learned the 3 beat on my own in like....30 mins/1 hour.
or...i had home of poi but still.
then it just rolled on.
hmm....of course you kan allays practise in some.......patterns och moves so you are able to get a nice flow.
then of course kicks are allways a nice move when up for impressing.

the only thing worth dying for is life itself

Ardariannewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Okay, for someone who knows the basic moves (the ones in the Free Lessons section) what are some suggestions of linking moves together? Could someone give a good suggestion of two moves that link well together so I can practice them and learn? Right now I can't link anything together even though I can do the basic moves fairly nicely.

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Chasing the sun => windmill is quite straight forward . .
and then this can go into weave.

also can add variations with big windmills in the weave too...

But this is where you start to define your own style and you should just go play and try linking your fav moves and see which ones feel good, but just play and keep the poi moving and see where that leads you . . .

Ardariannewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Guess it's just left up to a lot of experimentation, eh? Wish I knew of someone who did this so I could watch them. Oh well. Thanks for the pointers! I'll go try it out as soon as I get a chance!

cradleofashesnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Just keep the flow and beat. What i do when you practice, download some tecno music with a nice beat, (the club song in Blade 1 in the first part off the movie, works really good) then play it and do poi it helps a lot.

Its all about the fire!!!!

PoiElfBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Hey!
Has anyone heard of a move called Angel Wings? All i no is that it has a 'slap down' a cross over and a twist of the wrists and that the poi go behind your back at some point. If anyone has any idea what it might be please let me know. The friend who told me about can't do, so can't show me what it's like, but he did make up a new move called Miti Wings.

Thanx Helz

"Mmm... I'm sure I had a tail this moring, now I've got legs!"

drakematrixSILVER Member
Maker of the Cheesecake
174 posts

Posted:
I'm also beginning with poi, just finally broke out the ones I bought nearly a month ago. I'm having some trouble, and am partly not sure if it's because of my technique, or because of the type of poi I'm using.

So far, all I've managed to get is the basic forward and backward, the butterfly, and the giant butterfly. I've been trying the basic move for the alternate butterfly and the wave, but only with one poi. I have it ok for the right hand, but the left hand I either smack myself in the head, or it turns itself sideways, so I'm just doing a basic spin along side my head. Any ideas for how to get the left hand to work? I figured it's best to do one hand at a time before doing both at the same time.

Also, I'm having trouble on my butterflys. The balls themselves are not a problem, but the tails keep catching. I have the UV tailed poi, and any slight gust of wind, and they get tangled beyond belief. any ideas?

What exactly do I have to light on fire to get you to notice me?

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't say it's necessarily better to do it with just one hand first - if you're doing it with two then the weaker hand can take its cue from the stronger - in butterfly moves it's "mirroring" the other hand and in weave moves it's "following" it.

As for tails tangling get some sock poi - long socks with a juggling ball/something similar in the end of each. Much less hassle when learning new stuff smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

inkienewbie
31 posts

Posted:
If people don't know poi, they apparently like anything you do...
I started poi last September, got public the very first day practising (St Stevens Green, Dublin, some very nice sunny days, actually the only nice days during my holidays)... was trying the butterfly and 3-beat weave, constantly bumping myself on my head and legs... still people liked it. (maybe they feld pity with me... or had a good laugh...

Sock poi is a very good idea! got myself new ones today, extra long and nicely striped, and they costed me only about 3 euro's.. smile

Page: