Hubert_CumberdaleSILVER Member
[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
Do you have one? Or just spin whenever the mood takes you?

Do you do a strict 20 of XXXX, followed by 20 of XXXX in the other hand, followed by 30 YYYY.... etc. etc.

I suppose it's really a question about discipline, and whether it is necessary for your art to succeed.

I've been sticking to a more structured routine for my staff spinning (wheras before it used to be just as and when the mood took me.. maybe when I walk past and notice it there in the kitchen). I've found the routine has helped me get as good on the left side as on the right. I'm also making far fewer mistakes.

I still finish up with a bit of freestyle mucking about coz I suppose you still need a bit of that to crack new tricks!

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:

I Think its best to focus on one trick at a time when you are trying to learn new things.

And also frustration will grab you by throat when you are doing this....
this is a good time to practise the things you know and clear your head while learning those frustrating new moves.

By the end of your session you will have had a pretty good workout i find

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
For the moment...
Experiment and find what you best get out of it.

More disapline will tend to get you more progress.
But some folk find thats a bit serious and takes the fun out if done too much.
The only thing I'd add is walm up for 15 minutes before and stretch
it will make your muscles far more accurate
and walm down after to prevent long term injury

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
I can't say that i have any particualar routine, generally I try and put in around an hour each eve weather dependent, a mix of unlit and lit work, and alternate between new moves and set pieces that i use in performances, I must admit to taking the whole routine thing a lot less seriously than i used to, definitely take the time to warm up first though.

mark

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I don't have mush of a routine either, I try to put in about an hour a day, when it's not raining but one thing I do do is pick a move ( or pattern ) something that I'm weak in or just learned, and keep coming back to it during my practice session. Transition into it,,,spin it for a while, or if it's new to me, until it fails, transition out of it and then come back to it a couple minutes later.

Other times, like when I step outside for a smoke, I take one poi with me, and just spin that, one poi. it's kind of boring so I don't keep it up for too long but I find it helps with keeping my planes in alignment. Funny thing though, things I never practiced, never even thought about practicing with one poi, things that seem simple, I couldn't do.For instance, spinning one poi behind your back,,,now turn with it, both directions,,,got that one?,,,,good, now try it behind your head.

When it's raining, I find it's the perfect opportunity to work on the buzzsaw because there's no way I can swing full length poi in here

cheers...David

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
Your routine should depend on what you want to do with your skill. Do you perform? Do you need to be techically perfect? Do you have to play to music? Do you want to outdo other firespinners?
When you practise think of what you want to practise FOR.

hm, pinecones, my favourits!

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
I perform semi professionally, technical perfection doesn't really interest me as long as it feels about right it will do, I play to music, usually with headphones and mp3 player in pocket, I have no interest in outperforming other spinners it seems rather pointless, personal progression is what I'm after.

I work on set pieces and new stuff about equally, I suppose I take this a whole lot less seriously than I used to, in terms of planning rehearsals and particular practice routines, although I take safety very seriously.

mark
EDITED_BY: marco (1106728429)

Hubert_CumberdaleSILVER Member
[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sprocket

Your routine should depend on what you want to do with your skill. Do you perform? Do you need to be techically perfect? Do you have to play to music? Do you want to outdo other firespinners?
When you practise think of what you want to practise FOR.

No goals in mind for me Sproket & I don't really know any other spinners to compete with anyway.

loki.c1687SILVER Member
addict
546 posts

Posted:
I dont have a set routine or anything but i do try and spin every day with poi or staff while i listen to some really good tunes.....
mike.c

Rules and responsibities:
These are the ties that bind us.
We do what we do,because of who we are.
If we did otherwise,we would not be ourselves.
I will do what i have to do
And i will do what i must..

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
Well, if you dont spin for anything in particular then just spin what you feel like.

I had a time when I spun myself through all the instructions in a book but now I just try to become more confident with fire.

Luckily I live in a place where it hardly ever rains so outdoor spinning is no problem.

hm, pinecones, my favourits!

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
i generally focus on one particular thing if im trying to learn something new.other than that i do generally play when the mood takes me.if im finding something hard to learn i do mix it up a bit to stop myself from getting frustrated.