Forums > Social Chat > Ready, set Fire and oops!

Login/Join to Participate

Tobenmember
7 posts

Posted:
So...
A group of friends all traveled to the beach this evening to try fire poi for the first time. We had an absolute blast. We brought some wood for the bonfire, had shmores stuff and even dragged along a boom-box. We started off by curing the wicks of two sets of poi. We had a video camera and a digital camera as well. I started as the fire safety person. Well the first two guys decide they want to light up for the first time together. It looked great. They had a good time spinning and after they were out, it was my turn. The beach was empty except for the group of us, so we had it easy. I get ready for my turn to spin and borrow one of the sets of poi. It was fantastic. Didnt bop myself once, no tangles and loved the roar of the flames. At the end of my spin, one of my wicks flames out, so I decide to spin out the other one. This is where the oops comes in. At the top of the arc, the chain broke and the fire head went flying. It took the absolute best ballistic trajectory that it could, and flew about 60 feet... right towards some poor innocent fool who had just wandered down to the beach. Luckily it landed about 15 feet away from them, but boy did I feel awful. I dont really think they noticed, but it still scared me. The person didnt seem to care that a flaming object had just flown in their direction.
Oh well. Was a good time for all involved apart from the one chain failure.

Cheers to all of you and remember that you're older than you've ever been and now you're even older...

-Toben

Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
LOL

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:

lucky

...and this is why I over compensate with all of my parts, except for that damned split ring, must get rid of that evil twisted construct

sounds like you enjoyed your first burn as well

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
I guess it was a lucky reminder to check and recheck tools before every burn eh?

Glad to hear that you had such a positive first fire experience and I guess you might consider it a good thing that something like that happened so soon into your fire career. It will help your group to see that [censored] does happen sometimes even if you did everything right and I'll bet that you will all adopt superb safety habits from here on in. It's easier to form habits early on right?

But again. Awesome that you all had a great time with your first fire spins. Smores, friends, beach, bonfire and poi... Does life get much better?

tiger_chicmember
101 posts

Posted:
congrats for ur first burn but bl***y scary for the peoples that the poi head was flying towards eek

..."LOOK at me, HERE I am, lllllooove me"... Luigi "Cars: The Movie."

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Wow 5 year old thread bumped....

Wonder how many spins toben has done now
EDITED_BY: Basstones (1174607935)

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Basstones

Wonder how spins toben has done now

Wonders how tony ever made it through school with sentence such as that!!! ubblol ubblol ubblol

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
I blame it on aliens...

(Blame them for the bad sentence....I still have no idea how i made it through school bounce

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
Those damn aliens hey..... well next time tell them to leave you alone, your not the best subject they could pick. Try one that doesn't ride a unicycle!!! tongue biggrin

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Well Paul i guess that leaves you as a perfect candidate ubblol

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
Hey.... confused2 well i guess so, but not quite sure if i'd be up for the probing and stuff..... Not my cup of tea. eek

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Too late...Already gave them your address...

Start Stretching...

*rides off in to the sunset on his uni*

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
 Written by: tiger_chic

congrats for ur first burn but bl***y scary for the peoples that the poi head was flying towards eek

As they say, chances are it wony land in a bucket of water smile

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!