Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > 7 beat weave/chase/whatever

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
well, apparantly I can do the 5 beat chase without much trouble...

is there a 7 beat? and how does it work? just an extra twist?? (means dislocating my arms probably biggrin )

any tips when practising?

"Don’t know how long, this one’s gonna take;
I could fail, but I’d rather be a fuckup, than a fake"

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
There's more than one 7bt weave type move... search the video forum for "glass dj shadow" in the subject line... theres one version in there, and it involves elbows.
Theres another version that dosn't involve elbows that works with more twist coming from the shoulders, and yet another that dosn't move the shoulders and works by changing which arm you're concentrating on half way through, so you suddenly see this big obvious gap to put your arm through. No video for the last two though.
The best tip i can give you is stretch before you try any of them... no need for dislocations that way, and it greatly reduces deltoid strain... oh, and learn the reverse 5bt with the veiny parts of your wrists pressed together first. and then learn thruwraps.

--ben

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
yeah 7 beat is nuts and im not gonna try it

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
you'll be missing out on some cool stuff... smile

--ben

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Nah, you really wont smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
there speaks someone who only knows the elbow version... wink
although even with that i've seen people jump out of their seats and spill their beers

--ben

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Indeed, I only know the elbow version. But even if I knew others, I doubt id use them. I go for a simplistic technical style which uses as few beats as possible while creating interesting flowy patterns.

Ill retract my statement about not doing anything good with 7 beats because to some, it may be cool. Just not for me. Too tech with minimal effect IMO I can do anything I wana do with 5 beats or less.

And just for the record, even though I dont really know other versions, I have seen them.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
its only a 7 beat, its not like it looks any different at night with fire poi, and 5 beat is pretty much all u need to get into other tricks, becides i dont need more injuries lol

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
all depends on how it is done, could you really tell if it is clean!... ive been playing 7 beats and offsets for i dunno... too long.

i like them and learning them is a good idea... whats the point to hyperloops/isolations/anti weave???? .. play and learn!.. it all has meaning.. unless you quit doing poi before you finish learning.

If there are romours going around of me doing poi!... they are romours.... now where is my unicycle.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Bleh, unicycle shmunicycle... You started those rumors yerself and I know they're true for one reason... poi 0wnz u biggrin

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
ditto

i CAN do the elbow thingie... and it was NOT hard... and it did NOT hurt... things that hurt is waistwrap and multiple-beat BTB and such;)

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
The 7 beat with elbows is just silly looking. I can do it but i really dont like it, i dont much like the 5bt either, i can do everything i need to do from a 3bt.

Not worth the hassle and twisted arms in my opinion smile

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
5bt is useful as it allows you to get out of situations where the "wrong" arm is leading moreso than in itself I find. Can't see the point in 7bt though as the "correct" arm is leading there, just incredibly tangled up with the other arm wink

"Moo," said the happy cow.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
i tend to use bits of sevens when i want to turn and leave the poi spinning where they are, or to get a bit of extra time when the 'wrong' hand is already leading and there's no possibility of untwisting or transitioning because one arm is somewhere where it can't move freely, or when i want to carry out of a five the other way round, or turn around against the spin of the poi without transitioning, or just when i want to spin twisted up for a bit... reverse no elbow seven trantitions are sexy as hell. (well, the top ones anyway. the bottom ones look like you're trying to hug a particularly recalcitrant anaconda, apparently.)
to be honest, i hardly ever go over 5 beats anywhere unless i'm practicing particular sets of transitions, but that dosn't mean i don't do bits of sevens because them their 2bt offset transitions fit into any pattern you'd normally use a 3 or 5 for and give you a lot more scope for just spinning without thinking and not getting to a point where you have to transition in a hurry else you'll wrap or get whacked somewhere painful. i've found.

--ben

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i dont get it!...

tenticle: "i tend toy use bits of sevens"....[not exactly 7 beat if in part huh]

there are 36 offset variations. so your not actually doing a 7 , just an offset with x number of beats....

they all serve a purpose if you understand them.

they might be ugly, might seem pointless... but to me so do hyperloops, isolations etc... then again poi seems pointless and a waste of time.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I've been wondering about this one for a long time, to me it's always seemed pointless

I use the forwards five beat and open it on on one side to create a sort of spiral effect when viewed from the side, and I've finally figured out that I can use the reverse five beat as a transition to the four beat windmill, but that's all I've come up with, so I haven't put the effort into learning the 7 beat.

Compared to the 3 beat weave, the 5 beat definitely has a different feel to it ( in a bend your knees, drop your shoulder kinda way ) and I can't help thinking that the 7 beat will intensify this feeling

I've never seen anyone do a 7 beat weave, so I can't call it ugly, but I used to think isolations were pointless too, until somebody showed them to me a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm hooked,,,if only I could do them

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
look in the video forum for a video called poitoy, the are some offset weaves towards the end.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
5bt weave shouldn't really feel much more of a stretch than the 3bt once you've used to it. I'd imagine if you did 7bt enough it'd feel a lot more natural as well.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
PK: the bits i use are the transitions that would make a 7bt if you did them on both sides... you don't have to do both sides, the same way one side of a five and the other side of a 3 makes a 4. which is why i dont use 3/5/7bt as the name of a move any more (only as shorthand for a pair of the same transitions), a seven is made of a pair (or a quad, if done wall plane) of split time same direction 3rd transitions... only do one 3rd transition and you can make 2,3,4,5,6 beats depending on which other transition you use. The only time i actually do a seven beat weave is when i'm practicing 3rd transitions or showing someone it's possible. otherwise i tend to just use part of one as needed. Also, this is the seven that works like a five or three i'm talking about, not the jedi louise that works more like a windmill with turning. to get into a jedi louise style you need to do a specific thing with the elbows during the seperation point, whereas the 3rd transition can happen as part of a waistwrap (even btb, although it uses to much turning to make it look right). So yeah, i do normally do offsets rather than full sevens...

--ben

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
what about the non-elbow-stuff? how do you do them? i've never heard of them before this thread.

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
you do them by reaching further round the arm than you do for a five. the easiest way to learn is to first learn the thruwrap that makes a five into a seven, which is the hand on the crossed side of the body wraping it's poi around the hand on the same side's wrist, and get it nicely split time, no speeding up the wrapping poi. this has the timing and wrist movement you need. then you work out how to get your crossed hand to reach further round the same side hand so the poi dosn't wrap on the wrist, the wrist wraps around the other wrist. then you learn it wall plane, where it's actually easier once you know it, but has a counterpart that's much harder.

--ben

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
ah the louise... that one its a tough one indeed... the 8 beat mostly.... the extra beats at the top are fine... keeping plane not so!.... and the bottom.... i never really played too much there.

If i played enough with poi id perfect it more than i did all that time ago.... just too much to do on other toys these days.
maybe in the summer when im sat on a beach doing [censored] all and loving life in italy, i will do some more but until then, more one footed unicycling.

RadaSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
here is a video clip of me doing 8 beats with one hand and 7 with the other.
www.halfwayempty.com/forums/homeofpoi/myvids/78_beat(1-23-05).wmv

im new here, i dont know the ediquite (spelling) for posting vids like this cross server.

sorry if im in the wrong,
Rada

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
is a 7 beat weave with the poi wrapping the arms for the extra 2 beats!... [so no 8 with one hand and 7 with the other] ...

wraps have to unwrap, so therefore you have equal number of beats on either side.

Ignore the term beat, count the circles!, from one possition, every time one coloured poi passes add a circle.
[the red poi does 4 circles on your right and 3 on the left, as a ballanced pattern with wraps the left is a mirror [4 on the left 3 on the right]... i hope that helps]

have a look at your timing though you will smoothen this move out the more that you play.
thanks for sharing your video.

RadaSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
thank you. ill work on smoothing it out, the reason its only 7 seconds long is that the red one caught up with the blue one and i messed it up.

Rada

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
dont worry about it!.. you have it there already, just playing with it more will smooth out naturally in time, wrap releases are harder to control... the timing issues lie in the timing of moving your arm back accross to the other side. once you have that sorted then you will have a perfect pattern. smile
do you have any more videos?.. post them up in the video forum!, i'd like to see more of what you do.

hug

RadaSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
i just found my wide angle lens so ill put a video up sometime.

Rada
EDITED_BY: Rada (1106544471)

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Well I'm getting there with the no-elbows 7bt. I can almost get it going on one side - there's still a little bit of a thru-wrap though. Keeping the timing is the hardest part though...

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I actually found it by accident the other day - was doing something and then realized I was doing a 7 beat weave different than normal without all the elbow mess. It was from a thru-wrap type evolution though (was experimenting with doing thru wraps from a 5 beat weave) - funny that. Got a bit excited till I found I had no idea how to do it on the other side. It really works a different space though...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I like it better than a normal 7 beat too. feels better and looks fancier - more danceable features to it.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yeah - I've never bothered with the 7bt weave before because of the general nastiness of the elbows thing. Doing it without that is something I'll spend some time on.

Page: