Forums > Social Chat > What is a true friend to you?

Login/Join to Participate

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
A true friend to me is someone who tells you that you are being a dickhead when you ARE being a dickhead. I love blantent honesty in friends, even if it is sometimes hard to deal with.

They are someone that will tell you their hopes, dreams and desires, and not being embrassed or hold back.

They are someone who will vent to you when they need to.
They trust you implicitly and know that you would never betray their trust.

They are someone that you will listen to no matter how much they have been talking about their new crush....or the other various issues with the boy/girl friend, boss, job, parents.

In saying all these things, they should be there for you also.

In your hard times they are the ones who focus on you and do their best to help you out. A true friend in my opinion doesn't back off from you and not call or come over.

They espically should not ignore you and not even show that they give a damn.

Those people in my opinions are not friends. They are people who know you when it suits them. Perhaps fairweather friends.

Friendship is a two way street, and if someone you know is driving a big ass selfish tank, down your two way street and not giving you a chance to drive down one side of "Friendship Way" then you have a problem and may need to find another street to drive along.

I love my true friends like family and I will fight to the death to protect and honour them. I know that my true friends would do the same for me also.

hug hug hug

*feels better now*

what is a true friend in your opinion?

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
a true friend will tell you that they love you no matter what, give you a shoulder to cry on and friendships can be called upon at any given time, even if it is a phone call in the middle of the night.
friendships mean more to me than most things, to be without true friends this planet would be a lonely place. A place that i would not want to exist in.

hug valura, you are one of my most special friends in my life... to be there for you is my honour no matter what no questions asked, no appologies, no thank you's, to have you as my friend is enough to fullfill a place in my heart.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think something that's often missed is that a true friend will give you things that you want and need. Not something that they want to give you.

All too often people will be caught up in themselves and end up giving things that they like to give... rather than taking the time to learn what a person needs or wants. "Hey, I heard you had a headache so I threw you a surprise party and invited all of my friends!"

For me, the things I need are sometimes subtle. My true friends have figured out what they are. I think there is also a reverance for the friendship that goes unsaid.

And I don't care who they are, if they help you load a body into your trunk, they're a true friend. That's more of a Brooklyn thing though.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
A true friend will come rushing to you when she knows your in pain or severe sorrow. You can call them and barely be able to speak because of your crying, they'll know instantly and come to help even if they do live 30 minutes away, and lie there with you, crying with you.

A true friend is someone who always make sure you're okay.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Penguin SvenSILVER Member
185 posts

Posted:
I think it might not be all that easy to decide.

Maybe their isn't spacific criteria that justifies a true friend.

For me, it could be just someone who you get along with, or even that you have something in common.

"glow bugs, to slow to resist eating, to bitter to eat more than one handfull in a sitting" toothpaste for dinner

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
"the only way to have a friend is to be one"

(hey, it got me an A at school for some homework ok?)

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Oh NYC I agree with you so much. sometimes you dont need to tell your true mates what you need, they know... It may not be a spoken thing they just know...

Like when I couldnt go to Woodford for the whole week. Flynty understood that I just couldnt do it and although it didnt mean a woodford week for her, she still understood.

Flynty is my best friend dont ya know?

Pk. I love that spark that love has given to you. I am totally touched by what you wrote angel, and I want you to know that I admire your crouage and honesty and you also have a special place in my heart... I am even going to take a picture of the PK chooks sign across the road from my house for you. hug hug hug

I think that friendship requires effort from both parties, not just one. That is my main point. smile

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
A friend will bail you out of jail. A true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was the best night ever"

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
A true friend wont lie to you

Wont ignore you

Wont bitch behind your back

Wont be twofaced

Will always be there

Will always be honest

Will tell you they love you

Will tell you what you need to hear to make sure you make the right decisions.

Will respect your decisions and still stick by you.

Funnily enough i dont have many friends in my home town as theyve not exactly been there for me, ho hum, sorry to be blunt smile

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i think a friend is everything you said at the start missvalurachicken! biggrin as well as bits of what everyone else said!! ubblol

i have been lucky enough to be blessed with quite a few beautiful friends, who have put up with my [censored], and i theirs...who i have shared many laughs and tears with...and whom i love and would do just about anything for and i know they feel the same about me! *happy sigh*

and astro - none of my good friends live in the same town as me!! ubblol it's not exactly my home town (i'm just living here for a while), but lots of them don't live in the town i consider home anymore either! i don't see many of my good friends very often - distance can be a bugger!! but sometimes all it takes is a text message or a quick email to let your friends know that you're thinking of them! biggrin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Penguin SvenSILVER Member
185 posts

Posted:
Agree totaly with gita. A friends would be some one who puts up with your [censored]. And maybe someone who is honest and blunt enough to tell ya to quit your bithcing. Some times its what we need.

"glow bugs, to slow to resist eating, to bitter to eat more than one handfull in a sitting" toothpaste for dinner

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
wow. what a coincidence. I just had a true friend moment last night.

I don't think I can put into words what a true friend is - friendship is just this feeling, this connection. You can know someone so well and never truly get there, or you can have met but once and that person will have a lasting warmth within you forever. I don't know if that constitutes a true friend - maybe that's someting different. Maybe friendship involves more - I don't know.

*somewhat emotional* - ubblove

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I agree with FNF, about the 'friendship is just this feeling, this connection.' bit. I read in many of the replies, a true friend is someone who will be there for you whenever, and come to you when they can. I don't necessairly believe in that... True friends will always be there for eachother, but I also believe that the world won't stop turning for you and your friends to be together... I mean, if I ran to a friend's house, and just wanted to talk and cry with them - what if they're out? Or what if they have to go to work, and can't miss another shift?? I do agree with the statement, that they will always be there, but not in that sence... To me, it is more, I can talk to them, and they will always be there thought wise, and when they aren't occupied by something, they will get back to me.

I suppose I find that the movie friendships of best friends who are always there, and always coming on the whim to help their friend... they are more steriotype friendships to me.

To me, a friendship is someone who will help you when they can, and who loves you, and you love them. I would expect a friend to talk to me if I was distraught, and if they were just sitting at home doing nothing. But, if they are busy, then I have to take care of myself. Right now, my life leaves very little to the 'random phone calls of distress, random house visits' etc. There's kinda... an ocean in the way... or 4h of travelling to be done too.... So, for my true friends from home to come here... not happening.

But I still love them tons - probably more now than before!!!

I also think there are different kinds of friendship - just as there is different kinds of love. But what is a true friend?? I think I will only know who was and who wasn't a true friend when they are gone. (Not as in death but... moving on in life, as it tends to happen, after high school, uni, etc.)

I'm confused now....

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
yeah - i got a bit confused too when I was writing. smile

hug

But that's good too. I don't think friendship would be so magical if it was easy to pin down.

smile

and as far as the oceans go - i feel it too. That's why I find it hard classifying true friends as people who are there - they might not be, but htey are always in your heart and you are always in theirs.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
i think that a true friend is someone who loves you for who you are, and doesn't judge you, but will also tell you when you're being a dickhead, not to knock you down, but because they know that you'd want them to.

Someone that respects what you're feeling without needing to question why you feel that way, and knows when you really need support, even when you aren't able to ask for it.

I got the warm and fuzzies now. Awww.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Written by: Valura

Like when I couldnt go to Woodford for the whole week. Flynty understood that I just couldnt do it and although it didnt mean a woodford week for her, she still understood.

thats cos i was coming firstly and most importantly to visit you and Arsn, silly chicken.

Sometimes the point of having a true friend is letting them LOVE YOU! I have friends that i just adore, and sometimes it takes real effort for me to let down my guard and let them be kind and beautiful to me. Real friends dont give up on you, they dont let you say bad things about yourself (no matter how often you do and how annoying it can be) and they show you that they love you by being a shiney presence in your life.

Real friends are the ones that help you grow, and grow with you.

Currently on the right side up of the world.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
a true freind gives you chocolate when you need it most

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
A true friend will know whens something is wrong with out asking.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Valura honey hug you've hit the nail on the head with this.
I agree with everything you said about what constitutes true friendship.

BamBam - hug ubblove biggrin

You're my best friend, you know *everything* about me eek wink, I trust you with my life, you listen when I go on and on (and on)about stuff, you truly do care.

Last year was a censored frown, but I have a feeling this year will be great biggrin

Valura - you've managed to put into words the friendship I have with Bam's.

True friends rock!!!!

hug

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
Frendship is sonthing i truley value, i have been fortunate to be surrounded friends although i sometimes find it hard to tell the diffrence between a friend and a frendly person.
I on the other hand have very few truley close friends i could say truley know me,
I think i agree with astro faerie on the love part.
Through spinning and hop i have met some truley wonderful peeps which have devloped into close friendships (im sure they know who they are)
yay
hum
ubblove

Mistress_MaledictiHeaven doesn't want me, and Hell is afraid I'll take over
192 posts

Posted:
A true friend will always make sure I get home to my own bed...

sin

"Abashed, the Devil stood and saw how awful Goodness is"