MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So it's basically come down to this:

Do I go to NYC (the Bronx) or do I go to LA?

The program in LA is better, but I like New York better. Then again, I'd be in the Bronx.

This is tough. Any advice?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
go to india and ask the dali lama meditate

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Avoid it all and come to Houston ubbangel

Sounds like a tough decision to me hug Maybe think about what part of LA you would need to live in and compare that to the Bronx? Is one location preferable to another when looked at that way?

Do docs usually wind up with full time positions in places they do their residency? If so, do you think you could ever be happy living anywhere in the LA area? If it's true, could you live in another NYC location after your residency is finished?

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Try somewhere completely more interesting

...like...

Timbuktu!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The common wisdom is that you will wind up living where you do your residency, but that may not apply to me since I'll be doing a fellowship afterwards...and people move around more.

I try not to plan ahead too much into the future. I'd be living in West LA (Hollywood, Westwood, Beverly Hills, etc.) if I went to LA.

-Mike

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
I'm firmly biased towards NYC smile

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I would say NYC... But I haven't been to LA... So I don't know. But which is more imortant to you: good program, or living conditions? Weigh out both sides, or try to, and see which suits you best... Maybe even look at housing possibilites?

Best of luck!!! hughughug

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I believe in going with gut instincts. Just go where your gut tell you to!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

I believe in going with gut instincts. Just go where your gut tell you to!

Usually my gut tells me to go either to the kitchen or the toilet. Hey yeh, Hell's Kitchen. There you go Mike... NYC it is!!! wink tongue ubblol

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Hells kitchen?? *gulp*

go to NYC i reckon... Heaps more fun and not as many fake plastic people as LA... thats my rude, uneducated, and anti fake boobs, opinion though.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i dont think that any one can make such a life changing decission for you, maybe shed some light and opinion from peoples points of view, but follow your heart my friend, feel the dreams and let them become the reality and your journey of life pass with no regret.
i hope that what ever you do and what ever path that you choose will bring to you happiness and joy.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: Valura

Hells kitchen?? *gulp*

go to NYC i reckon... Heaps more fun and not as many fake plastic people as LA... thats my rude, uneducated, and anti fake boobs, opinion though.

plenty of fake people in NYC too, though the silicon ratio may in fact be lower. and it depends on your type of fun. One plus for LA is a HUGE burningman community there. That, and good beaches. Traffic sucks in both places, but in the Bronx you won't need a car - in LA you will.

That would be a tough choice for me too actually... I'd probably do LA since the job is better, I have many friends there, there would be far more nights for playing with fire thanks to the significantly better weather, I wouldn't be cold all the time, and could a least pretend at being able to go surfing and sailing,... but then again... shrug

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:
I would say go to NYC.. I've always been one for living somewhere that makes you happy over a good job.. I work with people from LA.. and from what the tell me about the place i have no desire to ever go there.. But in the end its up to your own tastes i guess. maybe you would like LA more..

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
How did I miss this?

I am the expert in California vs. New York, I've split my life in both.

LA Pros:
Weather. Don't let the recent news fool you. You get 350 beautiful days a year. I used to joke that I was going to just paint 78 degrees on a piece of wood and sell them as LA thermometers.

It's easy. I don't know why. LA is just easy. The lanes are wide. You drive everywhere. The supermarkets are huge and cheap. Apartments are large and cute. Life in LA is much easier than life in New York.

Large Gay Community. I think it's even larger and gayer than in New York. West Hollywood is California's vaster and gayer West Village. Then again, New York City has a pretty active gay community.

Did I mention the weather? Well it's fab.

Life is slower. Goes with the 'easy'.

Hang on... I'll post this and come back with the rest of the list...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I go with Skully on this one Lightning, go where your gut tells you, close your eyes and chose smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK... so really, FOR ME, those were the pluses for LA. Weather and ease of life.

LA Cons:
Lack of Culture. Keep in mind, we're comparing it to New York City. Compared to a small town, LA has a lot to offer, but I always felt that LA was extremely culture deprived (literally bleached blonde.) Even though it had a huge Asian, Black and Latino population, it doesn't have that diversity. The minority popluations in LA are in very large pockets and don't intermingle as much as they do in New York. You can be in a poor black neighborhood in LA and drive for two miles and still be in the same poor black neighborhood. Same is true for the rich white neighborhoods.

Layout. LA is totally spread out. I hated having to drive an hour for dinner, then drive an hour to go to a bar, then drive an hour to go to a club, then drive an hour to go home. I've got 20 restraunts and at least 5 bars without crossing the street (Molly can vouch wink )

Values and Attitude. LA is Fabulous and Pretty. They value Fabulous and Pretty. People who move there are Fabulous and Pretty and moved there to be with people who are Fabulous and Pretty. Yeah, there are hot girls in GStrings on roller skates on the beach which sounds great (well... make it hot guys lifting weights on the beach... they actually have a gym on the sand...) but I found that then you're in a society of people that value that. NO, this wasn't the end all rule, but there was always an underlying superficial current. I did always feel selfconsious about "did I wear the right outfit" in LA. LA definitely cares about what you're wearing whereas NYC almost has this "It's cool to look like I don't care what I look like" vibe. Which is nice sometimes. Unless you want the prettyboys. Cuz they are pretty.

When I left LA I joked, but there was some truth to it. I felt like I was breaking up with LA.

"No, it's not you, you're very pretty and nice... I'm just looking for something deeper. I just don't think there is enough in common between us to build a relationship on..."

I'm off to lunch. I'll give NYC pros and cons when I have a minute.

Peace.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK... Lunching now...

New York City Cons: (This will be good for Molly too)

It's hard. New York City is hard. That whole "Move to California but leave before you get soft/Move to NYC but leave before you get hard" thing is true. You gotta keep your head up cuz things move quick here. Things will go wrong and they're not as easy to fix. You're not living in an LA apartment that is 5 years old, you're living in a prewar walkup with windows that take 3 months to fix because they don't make them anymore (true story... oh crap I gotta call that guy.) New Yorkers are friendly (contrary to popular belief) but it's not always obvious how New York works. New Yorkers pride themselves on finding out of the way places and nooks and crannies to eat, drink, and be merry in. We leave the obvious and easy to get to places to you tourists.

It's grey. New York is a bit dingy. There are rats on our subway tracks. You're going to see a roach if your apartment isn't high up. You won't get a tan just walking around, even in the summer.

It never sleeps. Can be a good thing, but the city never takes a time out just cuz you're sick or tired. My life it pretty darn good but if you're not so good at avoiding drama, New York won't quit for a day. I don't know how some of my friends survive with all the crap they deal with. Then again, my apartment is quiet and snuggly so my life is great. I've seen people who didn't have a home to move to get chewed up and spat out trying to sleep on couches and live day to day.

It's crowded. Yup. You're going to get bumped on the sidewalks. Heck, you're going to get bumped in your car. You're going to see crazy people and they're going to try and talk to you. There are scam artists and pick pockets and all sorts of deviants. I've never actually been a victim of one but I was born here so they smell that and leave me alone.

I feel that New York will ALWAYS give you a set number of negatives. Bad things are going to happen. Your roof will leak, your wallet will get stolen, your window will break, your car will get dented... alot, you will have the cops tackle some guy right in front of your sweetie who you're trying to convince to move there... whatever... it's going to happen.

The only way to counteract that is to take advantage of all of the good things that New York has to offer. If you're not going to get out and live the vita loca, then it doesn't pay to move to New York. The vita loca could just be hanging out in your neighborhood and having a mellow time at your local dessert and coffee shop... but if someone wants to just come home every day and watch TV, there are better cities to do that in.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
New York City Pros:

I'm obviously bias. I absolutely love it here. If someone had told me a few years ago "You can either leave New York and never come back, or you can stay but never leave" I'd have stayed. Now, I've got an international sweetie to think of and some lovely international friends but my love for my city is the same.

New York has Everything. It truely is the city that never sleeps. I live right in the middle of it all so I'm even more blessed. I don't know of a more diverse city in the world. The amount of different countries that are represented on my block, let alone my neighborhood, is unparalleled. Whatever I could want, New York is probably going to not only have it, but have a lot of it. I love the mass transit system, I grew up riding the subways. Yeah, they're dirty, but they run 24 hours a day... even at 4 AM in the outskirts of the city they're running every 20 minutes. And every two minutes during rush hour in midtown.

Bah... the bell's gonna ring to start my next class... I'll continue this later.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
smile
I'll take notes shall I?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Indeed. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
God, I *WANT TO LIVE IN NEW YORK*. I do!

But in MANHATTAN. Dammit!

Maybe I should try again for fellowship. Then again, for fellowship, I'm shooting for San Francisco. Sorry, all, but New York is an adequate substitute for San Francisco, in my book.

-Mike

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
But you could always pop down to ours for tea *smiles smugly* hug

/mutter
second rate indeed
/end mutter

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
So how hard is it to get from Manhattan to the Bronx? Isn't NYC supposed to have this wonderful mass transit system?

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
subway or bus, even I could manage it
but I had a chauffeur to drive me to the Botanics in the Bronx (which were very pretty) smile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, 45 minutes each way every day to get to swim practice?

ugh. frown

-Mike

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: spritie

So how hard is it to get from Manhattan to the Bronx? Isn't NYC supposed to have this wonderful mass transit system?

Manhattan borders the Bronx. I drive from Manhattan, through the entire Bronx, and then to work in under a half hour every day.

I'm guessing that either Lightning needs to live in the Bronx to be near work or he's assuming he wouldn't want to pay rent in the parts of Manhattan he'd actually want to live in.

Oh wait.. he's on IM... I'll ask him.

He says it's because of the time it takes to get from downtown (where me and the cool kids live) to his program which would be a 45 minute commute via subway. I think it'd be more like a half hour on the 4 train. (That's the green express Molly, we dont' want that one cuz it doesn't stop at the cube.)

Then again if you DO live in the BX you'd be saving so much money on rent you'd be able to take a cab home on the weekends from the city and still save money (that's what my peeps in the BK do.)

Actually, I'm the only one of my friends that actually lives in Manhattan. Everyone else comes in on the subway so it can't be THAT hard. I mean, we'd all like to live in Harrison Ford's place facing central park but like I said... in New York you gotta compromise a bit.

I was going to say something about the safety of the outer borroughs but you live in Chicago so you're cool like that. It's not bad. You just gotta keep aware.

And the "I'll just take a $20 cab home whenever I go out on the weekends" thing will actually save you money because of the offset rent.

Or, live down here with the cool kids and wake up a half hour earlier. I do. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think I figured out the issue.

The reason this is so agnoizing isn't because I like LA and New York equally. It's because I want to live in New York but I'm not sure how feasable it is!

-Mike

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
If you want to live in New York. Live in New York.

Follow your heart.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I disagree.

Move to New York only after you've weighed all the pros and cons.

biggrin

Or move to LA.

I don't leave the house anymore (I haven't gone out in weeks) so I'm of no use. frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]