Forums > Social Discussion > US Army planned to develop "Gay Bomb"

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by:

The U.S. army considered building a “gay bomb”, which could make enemy troops “sexually irresistible” to each other, government papers say.

Other weapon plans that were never pursued include one that makes enemy soldiers identifiable by their bad breath.

The U.S. defense department also investigated several non-lethal chemical weapons that aim at disrupting enemy discipline and morale.

The U.S. Air Force Wright Laboratory in Dayton, Ohio, asked the Pentagon to fund a research in what it called "harassing, annoying and 'bad guy'-identifying chemicals".

The plans were presented in 1994 for a six-year project that costs $7.5 million, but they were never implemented.

It isn’t known if, or when the program was scrapped.

The project suggested the use of "chemicals that affect human behavior so that discipline and morale in enemy units is adversely affected".

The plans were obtained under the U.S. Freedom of Information by the Sunshine Project, which oversees research into chemical and biological weapons.

“Love bomb”

The “love bomb” plan involves an aphrodisiac chemical that incites widespread homosexual behavior among enemy soldiers, resulting in what the military called a “distasteful but completely non-lethal" blow to morale.

Scientists also investigated a “sting me/attack me" chemical weapon which could make troops sexually attractive to “annoying or injurious animals” such as angry wasps or enraged rats.

They also considered a substance that makes the skin highly sensitive to sunlight.

Another plan was to create a chemical that causes “severe and lasting halitosis", so that enemy soldiers could be identifiable even if they were among civilians.

“Who? Me?”

The “halitosis” idea led to another plan called the “Who? Me?” bomb, which makes soldiers produce bad odors and stimulates flatulence among enemy soldiers.

The government papers state that the “Who? Me?” bomb has been under investigation since 1945.

But researchers found out that this device isn't effective because "people in many areas of the world do not find faecal odor offensive, since they smell it on a regular basis".

Captain Dan McSweeney of the Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate at the Pentagon said that “literally hundreds” of project ideas were sent to the Pentagon, but added that “none of the systems described in that [1994] proposal have been developed".

"It's important to point out that only those proposals which are deemed appropriate, based on stringent human effects, legal, and international treaty reviews are considered for development or acquisition”. He added

So what do you think? Good that armies are looking at non-lethal methods of warfare? Morally unjustifiable? I don't want to say too much as I'm very interested in what people think about this article.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
instead of opening new thread for each of these, you could also use the "in the news thread"

not that you have to.

what I think is that it isn't worth talking about this gay bomb BS - someone came up with it at a brainstorming meeting, and it was dismissed out of hand as a bad idea.

There are enough reasons to get cranky about the US military without harping on a trivial report that details an idea everyone (even in the pentagon) agrees was bad.

I can't say I'm opposed to the idea of non-leathal tactics either.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I was hoping that they might inspire enough discussion on their own to warrant their own threads. For example, the US moving towards non-lethal warfare, but in possibly the most contraversial way possible, and the tsunami one.. just in its sheer sadness. And (although if people don't want to get into it I obviously totally respect that) its spiritual implications on the people of the region affected.

Plus people are more likely to read them when they have a specific topic than a general "in the news" thread. In my opinion.

Fair point though. smile
EDITED_BY: nearly_all_gone (1105967549)

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
yeah - I wasn't saying you should put them in that thread - just reminding you it existed in case you wanted to use it wink

-v-

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
How would they actually make a "love bomb"? Pheromones? Maybe whatever it is in E that makes people feel "loved up". Can you imagine what an all counquering aphrodisiac like that would do if it got on the open/black market. Never mind Rhohynol.

I've read this article somewhere as well, apprently "more discoveries are needed" before any of these ideas can be implemented.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:

As an australian i never thought the american administration
could get any dumber.

almost daily i get proved wrong

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
its amazing how they can keep getting worse!

also its amazing that while they claim to be the "leaders of the free world" they continue to research weapons.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
it is also amazing how people completely miscontrue the original report that was from - it is pretty clear no one took this gay bomb thing any more seriously than writing down that it had been discussed - and probably only then to make some anchient bonehead general happy that his little joke got solidified.

Mind you I agree that Bush is complete moron, but this has nothing to do with Bush or really anything other than a reported trying to make a news story out of something that is basically nothing because he/she didn't have anything worthwhile to report that day.

-v-

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Sorry, what news source was this quoted from?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
I saw a story on yahoo on Sunday, but I don't have a link for you.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Here's one of the sources...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Wacky.

The millitary has been doing wacky stuff for years though.

The alternative to the Manhattan project and the atomic bomb was strapping miniature napalm charges to thousands of bats and releasing them all over japan to detonate simultaneously in the highly flammable Japanese cities.

Crazy stuff.

I'm not sure what the implications of a 'gay bomb' would be. Though if terrorists did detonate a bomb in New York City I'd prefer it to be that one to other alternatives. I'd probably have to rent a hotel room and stay up here like I did on 9/11 though. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
coolcoolcool

can we have a thread on weird things the military have done to animals to make them attack the enemy?

Like: The russians training dogs to blow up tanks by making them think tanks had food under them, then detonating explosives attached to their backs.

Unfortunately in the field the dogs would just run back and blow up the russians tanks. Cos they had been trained on russian tanks. biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
At first I was outraged at the ignorance behind such a project.

And then I took a few deep breaths and started to laugh. And then I howled. And then my sides hurt I was laughing so hard.

Can you imagine if they'd ACTUALLY tried to go ahead with it? Can you imagine how much it would have bolstered gay rights in the thunderously unlikely event that they could have designed a weapon that actually worked?

And can you imagine what would have happened to the poor schmuck who dreamed up this idea if they'd put money into it and it didn't?

ubblol

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Doesn't this violate the Geneva Protocol, being a chemical weapon and all?

Grrr... boot to the head!

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok