ChuckSnewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Discovered this over the weekend.

When you do a normal TTN the pattern only has to keep moving because the poi at the "back" is about to hit your arm. The poi at the "front" can actually spin many times so long as the one at the back has not reached your arm yet.

So what you can do is speed up the poi that is at the front to do, say, two spins in the time that the one at the back has done one. You then carry on to the next beat of the TTN and repeat.

I can do this with a 1:3 speed difference, thought I'm sure the limiting factor is just accuracy.

Does anyone else know any "Multi Speed" patterns?

Chuck

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I've been doing this for a couple years now - can do even 5 or 6 to one without problems now (due to being able to slow the back poi down to very slow speeds). However, I can only do 1:2 or sort of a 1:3 if I am trying to do it with every thrust (ie, going from 1:3 to 3:1 to 1:3 etc - alternatinf fast and slow hands).

I find this is one of those tricks that fellow poiers like, but lay people are not overy impressed by. However, it is extremely handy as an introduction to spinning with different speeds in each hand.

Poibox started a thread about 3:5 multi speed weaves (which I initially misinterpreted) a few months ago.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

ChuckSnewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Yea yea, you could completely do it with weaves! I'm sure now I think about it you could probably do it with most things. Buzz saws where one goes round faster than the other could look good, but might just look like you can't keep it in sync.

The 1:3, 3:1, ... thing was what I was talking about. It seems that the hard part as actually slowing down again, and thats what actually limits my "ratio".

The more i think about it the more ideas i have with it, so I'll atually go away and think about it before I just start rambleing.

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
this sounds exciting.
something to spin home about...

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: ChuckS

The 1:3, 3:1, ... thing was what I was talking about. It seems that the hard part as actually slowing down again, and thats what actually limits my "ratio".

exactly.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I got a 3:2 wall plane weave which is pretty nice. The arm which crosses the body only does 2 beats while the other does 3. Ends up looking half like a parallel weave and half like a split time weave.

I tend to stay away from odd ratio moves though. Most people (poi savvy and lay alike) see these and just think youre doing a move sloppily. Perhaps if you were good enough with these and could transition between a couple of moves without breaking the timing it would look good but I really havent messed with it enough to do that yet.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me