Forums > Help! > The first milestone

Login/Join to Participate

FireKittenSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
Okay everyone knows once you've got the weave you've reached the first milestone in poi. (So ive been told) I've been smacking myself in the face,leg,arm,hand,elbow,arse,back front whatever for three weeks now with my lovely glowing poi but I just can't seem to get the knack! I have a friend who also poi's whos tried to teach me (and is close to hanging me with my poi) and I even have a book showing new moves etc with about three differant versions of the weave in. Heeellllppp! btw, i'm really new at poi (took it up about three weeks ago) So idiot-proof your replys. thankyou! weavesmiley

xX Twist and twirl to trance and techno Xx

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I think milestones should be based more around the flow than the move. Having nice straight planes and good control (and appreciating them through all your moves) is probably the most important thing you can learn. You'll find your learning hits 'plateaus' more than milestones if you continue to learn.

If you want to learn the moves just work your way through the list on here in the free lessons section, should give you plenty to work on for a while smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
and another tip:

Never, ever use drugs.

They are the doorway to a terrible slippery slope.

smile

THe way I see it, is if im trying something new, and its not working, then it must be me doing something wrong. People that say they are doing what im showing them and its still not working, really annoy me.

If its not working, you are to blame. You need to do something slightly different with your hands.

But seeing as how the that was incredibly unhelpful, I recommend looking at the videos section, and looking at he moves here on HOP.

The weave is only the beginning.

Soon you shall be drinking tea like a true HOPper.

smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
learn with one arm at a time.

swing: "over-under-back"

- if you don't know what that means then come back and ask smile

when you have that sorted on each side (with lovely flat planes and all that jazz), try it with two again.

that is all.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
the first mike stone should be the first trick you break, be it 3bt weave or butterfly, When you get that buzz you out beet it!

but I agree plane control (the way your pct more and circle around you) shouldlook clean slow and slide, don't spin fast

Step (el-nombrie)

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
My first milestone was learning to move between a weave and a reverse weave. My second was learning to add a 5bt and a windmill in there. I think that because flow is more important to me than moves, it's the linking and the new possibilities they open up that are the kind of gateways, which I would think of as milestones.

The weave is an arse at first though. I think it took me longer than anyone else, about 6 months.

Anyway, over-under-out. Over-under-out. As someone said, look in the moves section here on HoP, and if all else fails do over-under-out again.

"remember.. tappa-tappa-tappa!"

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I was a complete retard when I started learning way back in... what was it? 2000?

Actually, I am still a complete retard when it comes to learning new moves. but after more than 4 and a half years of being a retard, I have a fairly respectable set of milestones under my belt. lesson: don't give up!

just keep spinning

just keep spinning

spinning, spinning

just keep spinning....

anyway, I doubt anything we say in type is going to help you much. 2 minutes of hanging out with one of us will fix your problem for sure though. if you keep at it, you'll probably figure it out soon anyway.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
just keep swimming
just keep swimming
swimming, swimming
just keep swimming.......
swimming, swimming

sory worng song

back to topic!

Step (el-nombrie)

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
right song, wrong words!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Try getting it with one hand then putting both hands together and doing it with a poi in each hand - but your hands are touching and both doing the same thing.

Then once you've got good at that speed up your good (right if right handed) hand a bit. you'll feel something happen and before you know it you'll have it!

remember to try and keep your arms under control a bit and your planes nice too.

I've managed to teach loads of people that way...maybe it's better in preson though.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Sym, I like the idea of doing it at the same time then speeding one up a bit. I've never thought of explaining it that way! Next person I teach gets taught that way. Nice one!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Thanks!

It doesn't teach perfect follow (or is it split.... confused) time but you get the feeling for it and - as you know - once you've got it you've got it.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Damn right, it's all about the feel.

Thoreau

FireKittenSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
*walks back into the mass of reply boxes* Okay I'm totally gunna try your idea Sym! I think also I've tried learning with really differcult Poi, (they are long thin and very light at the ends, and the metal chain really weighs it down near the handles) I also have fire poi (bought them at the same time being a tad optimisic as to how quick I'd learn!) Which I spin unlighted and seem a whole lot better. Thankyou so much guys! I really want to be "okay" at poi by the summer so I can spin at partys without making a total Tit of myself.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: FireKitten

I really want to be "okay" at poi by the summer so I can spin at partys without making a total Tit of myself.

some of us ar still trying to get to that point, even after a long time of playing!

its all down to who you spin with, and who you play with!

dont feel imtimidated by spinners you percive as higher up than you, or further along, ask and talk and you should normally get some tricks back!

Step (el-nombrie)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: FireKitten

*walks back into the mass of reply boxes* Okay I'm totally gunna try your idea Sym! I think also I've tried learning with really differcult Poi, (they are long thin and very light at the ends, and the metal chain really weighs it down near the handles) I also have fire poi (bought them at the same time being a tad optimisic as to how quick I'd learn!) Which I spin unlighted and seem a whole lot better. Thankyou so much guys! I really want to be "okay" at poi by the summer so I can spin at partys without making a total Tit of myself.

You could always try sock or cone poi. They tend to be easier to use (IMO) than chains and tennis balls etc especially if you're a beginner. And if your ends aren't very heavy but your chains are it will deffinately hinder you, even more so in the early stages of your mind learning so many new things to do with it's hands!

I find these hug are good for learning, if you hug lots of people all the time the poi gods shine down on you with their smiles smile

hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
the one hand over-under-back is a good drill to do -- but don't forget the timing!! you've got to spin in split-time for the weave to work right.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Not realising that parafin is leaking onto your lap making it look like you've pissed yourslef before you go to a poi meet is the definition of making a tit of yourself. No matter how good you spin wink
Keep at it! It'll come. I got my sister to learn by standing right up close behind her, holding her hands and moving the poi for her. Find someone who can do the weave with very long arms smile
oh btw. If the avatar is you, you look very much like my friend hannah.

Aimz xx

FireKittenSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
Hey Aimee! Yes the avatar is me, and I'm doing my gommo dude face lol! Kate can do it perfect (grumbles under breath) Shes try'n to teach me bless her but its hard when you have backwards lead weights for arms! I def need to get some sock poi, maybe a bit more easy to learn with.

kellybubblefishSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
It took me about two weeks to master the three beat weave, and I have the HoP DVD you get with the fluffy poi. But I sat there, and worked out where my arms went (without poi), but to be honest, eventually I just sort of fell on it when I did a move wrong.

It happened when I was doing a two beat weave - you know when you do it, there's always one hand that's under the other one? Well it hurt my arm, so I put the other arm ontop and did a three beat weave then and there, and I was so stunned I stopped and hit myself in the eye.

The key is to just keep on spinning.

smile