KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
I had a look in some of the move lists for poi, coz im getting bored with staff, and they are missing a move i heard about from a friend,i am not sure whether he was talkin b.s with the move but he claims it is possible to while swinging the poi above your head to bring them down around your neck then jolt your head and have them unwrap, he said you would need some form of face and neck protection obviously but that the move was possible, im just askin more experienced poi users is this move possible?

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i dont do poi but yes its a poi move that gets used in rope dart alot to, couldnt tell u the name though if u have longish chains u can do it with fire but u know its very dangerous nothing like flaming handcuffs round your neck

i think if u read more old posts youll find its in there somewhere smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
It just seemed a lil far fetched ya know as cool as it would look, one bad movement and poof you can say good bye to your face

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yep, people do it. Its usually referred to as a neck wrap or neck carry.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
i still say it is facial suicide! but ill try it anyway unlit of course!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
video: spinning in paris 1 & 2.avi theres one of the versions in there at 3:44 somewhere
I posted it in the videos section
try here:
https://capitolk.com/paris/index.html
and its discussed in a very old thread called "The Jedi Set"

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i nearly strangled myself trying one of these moves once.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Devilstick_RussellBRONZE Member
I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
did you die?

Does this site actually exist? Or am i talking to all my other personalities?

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i thought i might have done, but in the end it was ok smile

Devilstick_RussellBRONZE Member
I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
phew i had visions of zombie oli sitting at a computer and posting and stuff or maybe you possessed your parents and made them do it or maybe...just maybe...i should shut up.

Does this site actually exist? Or am i talking to all my other personalities?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I've seen UCOF Jon do this really nicely with meteor and the exit is a flip directly vertical into the air off the neck...sweet! biggrin So if it can be done with meteor it's deffinately doable with two poi, depending how brave you are if it's fire of course. Would recommend practicing unlit wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yes yes yes, its true.

Ive seen UCOF do it too in a mirror...

he says you can wrpa them both on the front of your neck when leaning backwards (then proceeding to bend forwards).

and he says you can wrpa them on the back of your neck when leaning forwards (then proceeding to bend backwards)

Thats cos UCOF rocks!

smile

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
ucofcough?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Coughcoughcough.

smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
lozenge?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
offtopic

wink

but yes please.

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Jez used to do double neck wraps, among other crazy moves. I think he even did it on fire once. But only the once.

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Isn't there somebody on COL5 that does these? Heraclitus I think?

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I do a double (matched) neck wrap with fire often. Most people go into this move from a butterfly and move there head forward and back. I do mine from a weave and move my head in a circle. It's a very smooth move when done right. Be careful of the force applied on your poi. I broke through chain doing a neck wrap and the poi head went flying. That's why I don't trust ball chain.

I do not advise that anyone does this move with fire though. It's probably the most risky move I do. wink

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I think the reason they don't have it in the list of moves is because it is dangerous....

I do this move too....haven't done it lit yet though....too chicken to do it lit...besides that...I like my hair too much.

KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
yeah thanx fopr the tips guys much apreciated ill keep at it let ya know if i get it right...doubt it though...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Cody

Be careful of the force applied on your poi. I broke through chain doing a neck wrap and the poi head went flying. That's why I don't trust ball chain.

I think it's more of a reflection of attention to chain condition, suitable quality ball chain is more than safe enough to use and you won't be able to overpower it by a simple flick around your neck, ALL CHAIN should be checked thoroughly before each burn. If there's any sign of rust/corrosion (there shouldn't be if you buy decent stainless steel instead of the inferior Nickle plated) you shouldn't spin with them.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
And as for burning yourself, only if you've been careless, haven't practiced properly unlit and don't have the skill to manipulate the move yet, haven't "burnt off" or you aren't protecting you head/hair with a hat or other suitable accessory or perhaps use short chains that you'll have trouble.
You're only putting yourself in danger so if you think and take precautions and practice this move it is only slightly more dangerous than any other that comes close to your head, with the exceptional potential of hot metal touching your skin, but with precautions and common sense this can be avoided too.

keep it real and you'll have no problems, if you don't have the confidence don't attempt it. simple....

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dunc

Written by: Cody

Be careful of the force applied on your poi. I broke through chain doing a neck wrap and the poi head went flying. That's why I don't trust ball chain.

I think it's more of a reflection of attention to chain condition, suitable quality ball chain is more than safe enough to use and you won't be able to overpower it by a simple flick around your neck, ALL CHAIN should be checked thoroughly before each burn. If there's any sign of rust/corrosion (there shouldn't be if you buy decent stainless steel instead of the inferior Nickle plated) you shouldn't spin with them.

Standing ovation for Dunc:
clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
You can do these in front and behind you. The way I do it, it's a neck double through wrap, technically. The leaning-back one doesn't ever have to have a chain touch my neck -- it can be done with crossed arms so that only your wrists actually touch your neck. I guess that makes it a fake throughwrap, probably, but no one's ever going to notice. ++ you can practice this without leaning your head back. wink it feels kinda weird in there, now that I play with it more. it's like insides for BTH... there's various 'barrel rolls' at least... anything you can do with two sticks and a neck, prolly.

And it's not that bad with fire, though I've only done it a couple of times during one of my last burns. I've seen more ridiculous stuff on fire out of the video section here. Even when I've tangled with practice chains, it's not something that ever got stuck around my head or anything. You're much more likely to maim yourself doing split time inside-outside butterfly wraps or something, if you're like me. ubbloco

-- dut
EDITED_BY: Dut (1105674969)

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
10 rubber duckies to the person who can do the thru wrap whilst doing a mouth butterfly wink

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."