Posted:
id like to learn to grind
please help
equipment
fastening safety etc

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Been thinking about grinding ever since watching a performer demonstrate it, kind of like a very directional wire wool effect, eqipment, one angle grinder 'obviously', battery powered would be preferable, one steel chest plate with leather fastinings buckles etc, kind of like a mini amour suit, googles, denim clothing for the rest of the body, gloves, ear plugs (to taste) watch the heat generated by the grinding stone,

main safety probs

Friction and heat generated

Molten material being thrown off at speed

Stone particals ejected

grinder control

Relatively short life of the steel plate, would need frequent replacement

and all the problems associated with wire wool burning

if utilising a mains powered grinder, then you have the increased hazard of electrocution, should you do something unfourtunate, like cut the flex

mark

Devilstick_RussellBRONZE Member
I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
eh? what is grinding i assumed you meant with the old diabolo, but Marco's possibly spoof post has confused me greatly

Does this site actually exist? Or am i talking to all my other personalities?

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
DISCLAIMER: angle grinding can be dangerous if not done properly. Do not attempt it without proper supervision/tuition

Nah, they're talking about angle grinding, like how people cut through paving slabs and big chunks of metal. There's a photo of one of my mates doing it in a performance here.

I've done a reasonable amount of grinding; it's great fun biggrin

It is dangerous, although maybe not as dangerous as it seems. For instance the stream of sparks is cool enough to put your hand in (or rather, the glowing particles have a small enough thermal mass they won't burn you...). Like other things, with proper safety, the danger is fairly minimal - get someone who knows what they're doing to show you what's going on. And always wear goggles - eyes are good things to have.

Cordless grinders seem to be expensive and hard to find in the UK (specially when you can get a normal one for under £20). Cordless is a lot cooler because you're less restricted and there are less H+S issues (we've had places refuse to let use use 240v equipment)

We have a set of plates - a breastplate, backplate and crotchpiece, made out of 4mm steel, held on with big leather belts. They've been going for a while, and are fine. You don't have to cut very deeply - quite often the best streams come from stroking firmly. Ahem. There's lots of other inventive bits of metal you can find to grind, too - it's quite possible to hold a metal bar and grind it, or get someone else to hold it...

Good luck!

monkeys ate my brain

I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
so theres no juggling invovled just making sparks with power tools. Well, when i say 'just' the whole crotch piece sounds slightly dubious. no 'tricks' though.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
its quite the fetish for some people

seems mo-seph is a bit of a dark horse wink

Love is the law.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Written by: Devilstick_Russell

so theres no juggling invovled just making sparks with power tools. Well, when i say 'just' the whole crotch piece sounds slightly dubious. no 'tricks' though.

Yeah, it tends more towards character/sfx stuff, and the impressive danger factor rather than technical stuff, but I'm sure there's technical possibilities, specially with cordless grinders. It's mostly point-and-shoot, and finding exciting things to grind...

I'd like to do a show sometime where you actually make something with the grinding - carving sheet steel into shapes, for example.

Written by: ado-p

seems mo-seph is a bit of a dark horse

Don't know what you're talking about.
biggrin

monkeys ate my brain

I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
you can't angle grind horse's crotches, not even if it is a fetish i'm sure its illegal. anyway thats what mum said when she found the magazine... biggrin

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Ok, that settles it, I've sourced one 4" cordless grinder, reasonably costed, and will be making up several differing plate shapes (visit to local scrap yard etc) and fasteners, the rest of the safety eqip I allready have from other projects, comes from engineering background, I'll let you know how i get on

mark

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Cool. biggrin

Welcome to the dark side...

BTW, who did you get it from, and how much?

monkeys ate my brain

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
avoid your genitals at all costs... mine went around in an angle grinder a few years back due to a loose bit of material on one of my costumes. i was lucky! mine stills works lol.

please please dont [censored] around with grinders, they are not toys... get some one to show you properly how to use them.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
When I say reasonably costed, the ones I've been looking at are going for around 60 to 70 squid, I'd thoroughly recomend ebay for cordless grinders, however they're still going to be at least 2 or 3 times the cost of the much cheaper corded tools,

like I said, I come from an engineering background, curtesy of my previous employment I was put through a number of safety courses including abrasive wheels type 41, 42 and 27, and related stuff, etc.

mark

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i think hed(PE) used to have the dj angle grind as part of their act but my memory ain't wot it used to be... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Honestly, I have to say - I really don't get the "woooooooo" of angle-grinding.

When I think of it, it usually goes thusly:

~ Man/Woman enters stage left dressed in cyber/goth/cyber-goth/punk/cyber-goth-punk costume (generally leather and studs)

~ Man/Woman parades around alot making silly faces

~ Sprays a few sparks everywhere by putting a grinder on to a big metal plate(s) strapped to their costume

~ More silly faces, more prancing around, more grinding

~ Man/Woman exits stage right

Maybe I haven't seen it done properly - but there are better "performance arts" IMHO

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
*opens and closes mouth in gobsmackment* umm

you mean i could have got paid for performing everytime i used the metal workshop at college?? the act could even have had a bit more variety than just angle grinding too, bit of arc welding, bit of metal chop saw..... bugger... and to think all i had to do was wear more leather....

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Richie_Boynewbie
10 posts

Posted:
grinding on its own i dont think is too spectacular...

when we've done it with the street theater company im with its been side stage to someone/people doing fire poi or me with the devilstick, it helps give more impact to the piece.

The biggest show we did using grinding was as part of a local fireworks show... We had our stage set up with 2 big towers on either end and the grinders were simply standing up there in a kind of masculine pose griding on various different plates and poles mounted to the tower, not even on themselves. The sparks moving around at the sides of the stage about 20ft up in the air added a lot to the look of the show, so grinding doesn't have to be contact or even make a big visual impact.

I do not fear death, i just don't want do be around when it happens to me

yanny78Flamingsutraz
1 post

Posted:
Is there anyone out there who sells ready-made angle-grinder costumes(the body plate ones not the crotch ones),maybe a metal corset?Any recommendations please?I woule like to purchase them.Thanks.-Yanny(Malaysia)

Alikikmember
1 post

Posted:
Hello,

I was wondering if u could post a picture of ur grinding plates please??
I need to get one made and can't find a pic to show the ironmonger anywhere??
Hopefully u can help me, please.
Many thanks