Page:
Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Some of you said that they are playing with Butterflyweaving. So this one could be easier:
If you bend one plane of a butterfly weave by 90degree you end up in an Atomic Weave. (Bend another 90 Degree and you end up in a Spider)

The atom effect looks nicer with double staff than with Poi imo.

hug2 (To the Staffers - from the Poi Section wink)

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
any extra tips for this andy?

i don't really get how it works with sticks...

*goes to try and make simian learn this so i can learn it from him*

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
VIDEO wink smile go on you know you want to smile

Lisa
x

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
*wishes he knew poi*

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
extra tips?!?

hmmm - The only thing that I would recommend is to get into fingertwirling really well. And then apply the same principles as Poi. Fingertwirling with staffs is very similar to swinging Poi imo

Not really helpful but the best I can come up with right now umm biggrin wink

bounce

andy

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
How does it work?

Dude - with poi i understand but with stix - youve got the "other" end to get out the way?

Butterfly weaving works because of the plains making the staffs miss eachother, atomic weaving would involve the staffs rolling around eachother no?

**realises potential**

Thanks man biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
yowsa

i dont think we have that many planes in ireland.

biggrin

Love is the law.

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
I might be asking a really silly question but is it split time ?? if it is then I know of one person that does it...and it's a beautiful move smile

Lisa
x

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i never done seen no-one do it so i reckon you'll have to work it out then teach me miss bammy ubbrollsmile

cole.
xxx

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
cole your supposed to be a jedi use the force

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Written by: Strugz

Dude - with poi i understand but with stix - youve got the "other" end to get out the way?

Butterfly weaving works because of the plains making the staffs miss eachother, atomic weaving would involve the staffs rolling around eachother no?

(This is thinking at my desk, so it might not work)

When I butterfly with staffs, the planes are not quite parallel ubbangel, so that the staffs miss each other like you say. But isn't atomic stuff a case of increasing the not-parallelness up to a right angle? And then dealing with the contortions it puts on your body.

I've been playing with one atomic move where you roll one staff over the other, which feels lovely:

- Start witht the sticks in front of you, so they cross a foot forward of your chest. Hold your left staff palm up, with the back end going outside your elbow (as if you were halfway through a snake/wrist lockup).
- Hold the right staff any old way you like, and bring it up underneath the left staff, letting it roll over the top.
- Catch the rolling (right) staff, and take it in a nice longarm circle, so that it comes back to centre in the same wrist lock as the other (left) staff started in.
- While that's going on, the left staff does a similar circle (might have an extra beat in), so it arrives back to centre slightly after the right staff, just in time to roll over it and start again on the other side.

monkeys ate my brain

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
hey does anyone have a clip or anything to show me this?

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
yea seriously, this is going way over my head.. a visual aid would be very helpful indeed..

it sounds really sweet (although i think *correct if im wrong* that there are two different moves being described here)

i think ill go practice for a year and come back to this thread then biggrin

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Written by:

with poi i understand but with stix - youve got the "other" end to get out the way?

This is the beauty of Atoms - the "other" end is exactly going out of the way ubbrollsmile

Written by:

I might be asking a really silly question but is it split time ??

A difficult thing with staffs, and imo worth a topic of its own - Splittime DblStaff weaving is more or less the same as Sametime DblStaff weaving. Butterfly timing was always a problem (Splittime Butterflies are just a 90Degree Turned Sametime Butterflies). And with Staff Quartertime (Crosses) becomes so much more important than with Poi. So to answer your question: Atoms are somewhere inbetween ubblol But I perfer playing them in Quartertime. Gonna have to play a little bit more with sametime though.

Written by:

But isn't atomic stuff a case of increasing the not-parallelness up to a right angle? And then dealing with the contortions it puts on your body.

I wouldnt go for the contortions but i agree 100%. There seems to be a particular difference between Bended Butterfly weaving and Atomic weaving - but I havent quite figured out what it is .... Arashi might know.
The Move you descirbed sound nice - but I dont understand some of the terms (now I know how a newbie must feel in the Poi section help)

andy

. . . must resist . . . the dark side . . . . .

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Written by:

. . . must resist . . . the dark side . . . . .

Join ussssss...

biggrin

monkeys ate my brain

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
*bump*

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Just wanted to mention that this atomic stuff can still be fun even if you are not a finger twirler (I only ever use my fingers as a last ditch attempt not to drop a stick).
You can avoid broken limbs by doing two figure 8s at 90o from eachother. So you kind of bounce from one atom to the other and they sort or make a square around you. Word, that was clear.
You can also learn to do contact moves at a 45o angle from your center. This lets you have an X in front of you that does funny things...

A) it does feel as good

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
whoop i shoud read these staff sections.

inverted weave contact staff rolls make me wish i did more staff

atomics weaves for staff- evolved from an old marching band band-twirler's move. the atomic section of my "inversions insides atomics" thread pretty much translates directly to staff, but good luck with the crane areas, though i imagine they are easier with staff.

i would start with "inverted to outside" rolling, just flip the atom around in your hands

once you can move it around a bit try breaking one away and fitting it in at random moments

then move in to the inside and overhead transitions

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hello mr. arashi - we gonna have to join our forces on this weekend to resist the dark power of staffs.

(good to have you here wave)

lets draw some circles biggrin

grouphug

andy

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
thanks for the bump kyle.

i've been working a LOT on dual plane work recently.

not what i#d call atomics, but thats mostly cause my aesthetic brain doesn't agree with atomics.

but my god theres a lot out there in dual plane....

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
like what do you mean, you're doing box spinning etc.?

can anybody do devil stick contact rolls with their staffs? i'd love to see a vid of someone doing atomic weaves and then break into contact rolls and then roll them down their arms to the end of the staff...

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

NephrurusBRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
I think it would benefit me, and everyone else who reads the double staff threads if someone points us in the direction of some videos of this stuff. smile

Thanks doods!
-Henry

"If you light a man a fire he will be warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Hey Arashi, thanks for sharing all that knowledge. Afraid I can't grasp most of it in text though. Have to come over there and watch you some I guess rolleyes
As for DS, not sure what devil stick moves are really like shrug
Have been playing with a fair bit of stick moving stick stuff though if that's what you mean. I think some of these would have DS versions (maybe propelers??).

Still on topic(ish), getting in to some odd stuff at the moment where you twirl one stick with two hands, both off centre and have the other contacting your body and the moving 'dead' space on the stick between your hands. I guess this would be more dual plane then atomic, but I'm not really sure of the strict meaning of any of these (blue?).

A) it does feel as good

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
sh1t.

dual plane has a really easy explanation: one horizontal and one vertical.(if you change the meaning to be 'at 90 degrees from t'other' then you're in atomics i think...)

i tend to be contacting one or other of them cause imy mind can deal with that, but atomic fingerspinning i find pretty dull. (just cause i feel its limited, not how it looks, etcetc. too much like poi and not varied enough, just feels messy. but enough of the negative stuff... (sorry)

arashi.. yes! and no! i've been playing with devilstick stuff quite a bit of late, not from atomics tho, from broken plane spins(not the same imo, can explain physically, but not in text when i shouldn't be on HOP....ubbangel )

and no! not box spinning. still can't get away from the idea of ugliness.

shrug

tiny explanation: box and atomics i've always thought of as being like 5 ball siteswap but without aesthetics: looks lovely to nerds, looks like you're censored up and have censored plane control to everyone else. seriously imo there; cause i know a lot of people disagree with me, and i would love to be proved wrong. so arashi, get yo ass over here and teach uberpoi(pm coming)

smiles

R

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Written by:

too much like poi and not varied enough

The war has begun . . . . . hug

Written by:

looks lovely to nerds, looks like you're meditate up and have sunny plane control to everyone else.

Its a matter of control imo. There are only a few doublestaff spinenrs who I would consider "clean" spinners (not saying that I dont like their style but from a Poi perspective its rather "unclean"). Most of the normal doublestaff I have seen so far is slightly off timing and this way killing the effect. Flowers, Atomics, Snakes etc. have to be spun really clean otherwise they look censored . . . but I am just a Poi spinner who is not varied enough wink biggrin hug

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
watch it you. spank

wink

come to edinburgh and see the doublestaff revolution.

if you'll pay attention( wink ) you'll notice i said fingerspinning atomics were too much like poi. and yes it was somewhat tongue in cheek, as i am easil in love with poi as much as staff, and love the crossover stuff that the one makes me learn on the other.

as for the second bit...

i was refferrring mostly to poi spinners. almost every staff spinner i've seen experiment with atomics has done it lovelily, cause there's a few basic things that are pretty, straightforward, and easy to do clean. its the poi atomics that look crap. however the dual plane stuff has yet oto get widestream and i have a feeling its a little bit harder....

anyway. as mentioned, i don't know any good poi spinners ( wink ) so have never seen a good poi atomic or box....

smile
R

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
Dude i just saw COL5 and bender is dong some pretty sick atomic contact rolling all over his body with doubles biggrin
god leto, i wish i could get my hands on him for a few months...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
so dual plane are atomics?

or atomics are multi plane? as in dynamicly changing plane thoughout the move?

Love is the law.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
explanation tomorrow or the next day.....

smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
dual planes are what happen when you can't do hugs properly...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Forget about dual or multi planes! Spinning in planes is so yesterday biggrin

Modern spinners spin in Jets . . . . weavesmiley

hug

andy

Page: