Forums > Social Chat > New to the board .....I am Stoked!!

Login/Join to Participate

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Sup people..I cannot tell you how bad-ass it is to have found this web page!!I had never been to a rave, just a few clubs here and there. So I had seen a few people throwing some strings around and i thought it pretty cool, but nothing impressive. I started doing Poi (now i know what is it called) at some parties with some friends who could do a few moves. Corkscrew, butterfly, and other simple moves. I have taken martial arts for 12 yrs, and i am assuming because i can do "Chucks", i picked up pretty easy. I was hooked imediately. I did it all night till i couldnt lift my arms yo..Ive been to three raves since since i have started. And in the last two months i have gained alot of ground on the people that taught me intialy. But i have been stagnant for about a month. I havent been able to think of anything else to do...TILL TODAY.. I scrolled through the moves list and i know within the next month or so i can have at least half of those moves down...Im sorry this is so long, but finding this page by accident has my hyped...if you love doing it, you understand..If any of you are in the Houston, Texas area, i would love to hook up at a Rave, club, whatever to share moves and sh1t.Peace people...drew------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown[This message has been edited by Superman (edited 13 March 2001).][This message has been edited by Superman (edited 13 March 2001).]

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hehe welcome Superman...it's great to have someone amongst us that can light his poi just by looking at them grinhappy superswinging,Simos

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I have alot of confidence in my self, i admit. And i have always been overzealous, which sometimes comes across as cocky, but i am far from it believe me. So please dont misunderstand. About a month ago i busted myself in the damn eye with a glowstick that drew some blood at a party. That was a wakeup call..sheiiitdrew------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
american then?sorry loads of witty people on the board.dont let anyone put you down. if you know something similar, be it "chucks" or juggling or anything like it really it may come really quick. i have a friend into martial arts and all sorts of stuff and i have never seen anyone learn so fast. (he can look at some one ball juggling a 5 ball mills mess and go "oh so thats how you do it" and just do it)(sorry if you dont juggle)learn a trick a night i reckon. its possible. Work like you don't need the money.Love like you've never been hurt.Dance like nobody's watching.Sing like nobody's listening.Live like it's Heaven on Earth.ali

ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Thanks Ali...i will. I just realized that the majority of this board is overseas (not america). So i guess my posts will be read about 5A.M. to alot of people, although i am posting at noon here in the states..Qoute: ALIBABBA......................................"Dance like nobody is watching"......................................thats good advise..yo.drew------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hahaha!!!! I thought the same thing Ali....that he's typically american, and I can say that cause I am American!!!!!!!Welcome superman and remember faster than a speeding bullet doesn't necessarily apply to poi! tongue------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
QOUTE: Pele.................................Welcome superman and remember faster than a speeding bullet doesn't necessarily apply to poi! .................................i hear ya talking Pele. I see myself getting smacked many a-times trying some of these moves tonight. I have the patience and a semi-good grasp of the mechanics involved to improve dramatically in the next few months. With the info from you good people, and the web page..i feel it is a good thing that i can invision myself doing some of these moves that i have never tried before. Isnt that typical of Americans though? Since we were the first to fly, and to walk on the moon and all. i guess it cant be that bad..drew------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Welcome! I'm sorta new myself, and yea it felt like a godsend to have found this site. And geez... 12 years of martial arts? That's almost as old as i am... lolI'm from the states too so don't worry, i got your back wink ^__^------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
SORRY BUT I CANT RESIST.i thought it had been proven that the russians were the first to walk on the moon and that the americans made it all up just to look good (the golf ball definitely swerves)also, here in britain we are lead to believe that americans live on a diet of T.V. and chips both which were invented in scotland (although chips were invented by a frenchman in scotland)sorry again.how are the moves going.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Qoute by ALIBABBA[qoute]also, here in britain we are lead to believe that americans live on a diet of T.V. and chips both which were invented in scotland (although chips were invented by a frenchman in scotland)[qoute/]please give me a break...how narrow minded can some one be?? we do not live on a diet of T.V. and chips. its a diet of CABLE T.V. and those cute little goldfish crackers with the smiles on them made by Pepperidge Farms..Get your facts straight ALI...hee heeHey dont forget, Europeans wouldnt have Mickey Mouse if it wasnt for Mr American Walt Disney...You know you love the mouse..Everyone has a set of ears..right?...everyone....damn.Then again i guess we wouldnt be here if the early Europeans didnt jump on those leaky-ass baots and float over here storm, scurvy, and Indians be damned..Good Form ol boy, Good Form..WAIT A MINUTE!! THAT WAS A GOLF BALL???!!!???------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
Supermani find it cool that u call doing poi, strings. that is what me and a few friends called it way before we new what poi was, and we still primarily call it that. swing on------------------bring light into the night

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
w0rd

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
Ali, i little resentful of americans, i assume? hehehe

~K~No matter what you do, one billion Chinese won't care.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
quote:
Supermani find it cool that u call doing poi, strings. that is what me and a few friends called it way before we new what poi was, and we still primarily call it that.
Untill three days ago i didnt know what Poi was either. So thats what we always called it. I found this site by searching for a website dedicated to "Strings" & Rave dancing. I entered glowsticks..and the rest is history.All i know is everyday i cannot wait to get home and practice...It has totally taken the place of my T.V. watching and European-made Chip eating grin grin (i could not resist either)drew------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
i feel the need to enter the fray again.first of all you like quoting dont you superman."we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars"i have no problem with americans, i have lived with a large amount of different nationalities and i guess it gives me some sort of amunition when it comes to cross cultural conversations. i love meeting people from different parts of the world but part of me does like to take the piss.i'm scottish, we all play the bagpipes at dusk and dawn, eat haggis for every meal and wear our kilts everyday , even in bed. we invented the tv but it would have been pretty useless had someone else(the english) not invented electricity first. we are the only country in the world where coke is not the most popular soft drink(irn bru). we have only 5 million people in the country all whose favourite past time is moaning about how unfair everything is and how badly the english treated us some 500yrs ago and yet the accents are so strong around the country that we cant even understand each other half the time. 7 percent of the population speak the original language and yet we still have tv programs in it. lets face it there enough things you can take the piss about too.it also should be evident that i am a student and have far too much time on my hands, how are the moves going then?ALi.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Sup ALI...quoting is a habbit from my Camaro board i am on. I do it to be direct ...i guess...Scottish eh? A Scottish guy going by the name ALIBABA..I like it. grin grin I have a good story for ya..My fiance's best friends Mom is from Ireland. (When i say from i mean reared and bred then came to the states when she was 20) We went to go visit them in Dallas Tx one yr. I had never met them. When we fisrt got there, i did my initial hellos, nive to finally meet you's...yadda yadda yadda.i saw on the intable there was a book on celtic knots, plus i heard her accent. So i (being the "typical american") say"Hey are you scottish?" everyone got real quiet....She says "No ah am not, Ah am frum Ireland." in a real thick accent...then i say.."What's the difference?"...oh my lord that woman got hot!! I wasnt thinking. She ranted and raved about that the entire week we were there...she finally forgave me after i washed dishes all week long.. I always thought that was funny...Moves are coming along..Tweaked my forward butterfly, i go in front and behind my head, i can repeat it behind my head (only about 4 times). I got the mexican butterfly down, the alternating BF, behind the back BF last night. I got the reverse weave with a 180 turn for about 3 beats...then i smaked myself all in the face..And i still cant Chase the sun..it seems so simple, but i keep hitting myself in the back..maybe my ass is too big or something..All in All, it doing well. Thanks for asking.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown[This message has been edited by Superman (edited 16 March 2001).]

- Mark Twain