Forums > Social Chat > I just got a new Granmother for Christmas

Login/Join to Participate

Devilstick_RussellBRONZE Member
I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
The other day i got home from work and my mum told me she had been to see Angela with my sisters. I asked who Angela was and my mum looked at me
oddly and said "Your gran, my biological mum i was adopted," needless to say this came a quite a shock. ubbidea redface
I can't be the only one with a random family with loads of unexpected weirdness. One of my friends has three dads; Biological, leagal and Step dad. Tell me about your werid families and make me feel better. Please

Does this site actually exist? Or am i talking to all my other personalities?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
whoa! tha must have been an odd moment!

my family is pretty tame, but I once dated a girl whose mom married her (my ex-girlfriends) half sister's exhusband - making his kids from his first marrage their own step cousins, and they could either call him their father or their step grandfather.

the story get even weirder because we eventually found out that her (my exgorlfriend again) and I were related (only by marrage though) - I am her thrid cousin once removed (I am a third cousin to her mom of all things!). After that, my exgirlfriend loved to make a huge display of public affection and then pointed tell everyone we were cousins. rolleyes

you would think in a city of 5 million people (Houston), you could avoid nasty little coincidences like that!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
Two of my friends were trying to find the correct kinship term for two kids in their enormous extended family...they finally settled on "step-step-cousin-in-law." Many divorces and remarriages make for odd kinships.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Man! I though my family was complicated enough with my half-bro, half-sis and two step-bros...clearly not! umm

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"you would think in a city of 5 million people (Houston), you could avoid nasty little coincidences like that! "

Texas, eh?! wink

ubblol

Getting to the other side smile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I want a new Granny! I only have one left and she is a bit evil!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
Well, then I suggest Adopt A Grandparent, if they have that where you live...

I have no grandparental units left at all, and haven't since I was a teenager (that's a long time ago folks). Never knew either grandfather (and from what I hear I was better off). One of my grandmothers was a sweet old lady (with a biting wit when she chose). The other was an abusive xenophobic zealot who probably would have fit right in in GWB's America.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

I want a new Granny! I only have one left and she is a bit evil!

aww you can have one of mine skully, i got 3 and there all nice biggrin

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
Vanize-yor story reminded me of how, without knowing it, my parents lived on the same street and were friends with my dad's 3rd cousin, and didn't find out they were related until my grandma saw them on the guest list for their wedding.

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
lol i have two children ages 4 and 11,i have one dad(Who is on wife number 4 and she is 6 years older than me!! and i still have contact with all my step mothers) one bio mother and one brother. some where around the UK i have to date 4 known half brothers and two sisters although i have never met them.i know two of the boys are called philip and andrew and so i have never gone out with anyone by those names just incase we get the embarrasing "Does any one know why these two people shouldn't get married" moment. my dad does have another son and my half brother is 3, my youngest son is exactly to the day one year older than his uncle. you do the math for my oldest. and their uncle will be going to my youngests school in september.
this means m kids have.... 9 grandma's ok 2 are great's
5 grandad's " " " "
it can get confusing at times and i could go on eek
i was born on the 13th too, i don't class it as being unlucky but some might

i do not know if this is as bad as yours as i think its different for different people but just to let you know you are not alone. lol

hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
whoa - got my story beat. very confusing GF - my hat's off to you for keeping all that strait!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: vanize

whoa - got my story beat. very confusing GF - my hat's off to you for keeping all that strait!

there is more dating back to my grandparents too but i will not go into that

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Devilstick_RussellBRONZE Member
I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
Well i feel better about myself i couln't handle two step dads one step mum and a real set of parents. I've loist contact with everyone except my step dad and my mum deliberatly. But four step mums yowzers! (i love gadget boy). It can get confusing still with last names though six people live in my house and there are three different last names.

Does this site actually exist? Or am i talking to all my other personalities?

stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
you know, after reading all this, im kinda glad i only have three brothers, a mom and dad, and no other divorces in the family, reducing the risk of dating my cousin!

Bretchenthusiast
247 posts

Posted:
I found out when I was about 8yrs old that I had a half-sister, who was 18yrs. She is deaf, and I had big trouble understanding her, she fell out with me dad, so I didn't/don't have much to do with her, and 6 yrs later she turns up at the house with a nippa, who's dad was murdered/commited suicide (the former we think) and now has another 2 sprogs... I don't think I was ever bothered or anything... just 'oh, I got a sister... can I have that chocolate coated carrot now please...?'

I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure now.....

PhaerieBRONZE Member
veteran
1,240 posts

Posted:
hmm.. well i have 6 sisters, none of which are full sisters, 3 step ad 3 full, (4 of which have different surnames than me) 2 sets of parents (bot h remarried after divorce). then my eldest sister (half) found out at the age of 17 that her father wasnt her father at all, that mum was already pregnant when she met her "father" and he agreed to bring her up. so she has 3 fathers. i have 4 granmas which is great, and until recently had 2 grandfathers, but now only 1 left... yay for the women in my family being survivors...
and i could go on for ages about the strangeness of the people that are in my family (granma1 owning multiple grave plots, granma2 collecting everything from bones, human teeth and snakeskin, need i go on??)
but im impressed, there are people out there with more complicated stories than mine.
most people look at very strangely when i say i have 6 sisters but am an only child. i like it and wouldnt trade it for the world, all my sisters are the best friends i could ever have!!!!

Only when you close your eyes can you really see...