Page:
DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
i discovered something fascinating the other evening when i was at Rozi's house cooking dinner [well, she was doing the cooking, but anyway]...

does anyone else peel mushrooms? now in my 20 odd years of mushroom consumption, i have never before encountered this phenonena. by grabbing the lip inside the button bit, the outer surface peels off leaving decidedly clean and non-dirty mushrooms.

i can admit to being non-fussy about cleaning at times, but have i been committing some great sin against modern dining ettiquette by cooking & eating mushrooms uncircumcised [...so to speak]...?

biggrin

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I don't do it (ok, so i rarely eat mushrooms), but I have seen people do it. perhaps it's my grandma (the only person's house i think i have eaten mushrooms at)

also, my great grandma used to buy mushrooms that we open slightly so she could look inside to make sure they were really mushrooms and not toadstoods! no wonder I love conspiracy theories!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PhaerieBRONZE Member
veteran
1,240 posts

Posted:
personally im not a mushroom fan at the best of times, but yes i am familiar with the practice of mushroom peeling. However through my observation i have discovered this seems to be a fairly rare occurance, even in the most avid of mushroom consumers kitchens. i guess its a matter of dedication to your mushroom... just how far will you go?

Only when you close your eyes can you really see...

CatalystSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
I like mushrooms, and have never encountered a mushroom peeler.....even while hanging out with people that cook a lot....maybe i'll have to try it....

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Peeled or not they are so horrible!! I've tried so hard to like them but no, they're bad!!

I have seen people peel them before though... If I ate them myself I probably wouldn't bother! smile

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I said the same thing when I came to uni and found everyone else in my kitchen (that's like 11 people) did. I'm so pleased that I'm not such a lazy bastard after all.

A wash and a bit of a scrub sometimes is good enough for me.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I love mushrooms, but I have never encountered someone even attempting to peel one. How odd that seems to me. It's always just wash and chop for me.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
It's such a pain in the arse to have to peel them too. They're so soft in themselves that trying to get the outer skin off them is like... I don't know. Actually you could use peeling a mushroom for something that is extremely difficult and tedious. Such as "learning the 5bt was like peeling a mushroom".

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Devilstick_RussellBRONZE Member
I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
i eat them raw, too lazy to cook them. They are the nicest raw food on earth, except babies

Does this site actually exist? Or am i talking to all my other personalities?

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I always peel them, it's very satisfying. Heh

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
ubbrollsmile

on toast with garlic

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i never used to like them but since my sister turned veggie i've gradually been introduced to the pleasures of more and more tasty vegtables. often think about peeling mushrooms but unless you're gonna eat them raw in salad or something i don't think it's worth the effort... smile

cooked a yummy mushroom an courgette korma last night..mmmmm... tongue

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I have to say one of the things I love about europe is the vast array of different mushroom types you can purchase at the markets here! Some are so yummy!

and I have yet to see someone peel a muchroom - not even a snotty european. wink

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
my dad has this crazy little brush thing that does it for you
just scrubs away the top skin. but i'vegone off mushrooms in a major way recently....

there was this beach party....

at Oli

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I had a really bad experience on Mushrooms but I have to say they tasted so good I've got totally hooked on (non psych) raw ones... they taste so fresh if you eat them out of the fridge biggrin

Thoreau

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Mushroom, Mushroom!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
rolleyes

this whole thread was just a setup for the badger, wasn't it?

-v-

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I've seen a few people who peel their mushrooms.

Personally I don't go for it.
Apart from the effort, you apparently lose a lot of the vitamins and goodness that's just under the skin.

I say just give 'em a bit of a rinse. The little bit of dirt left on the after that will do you good (probably counteracted by the pesticides left on there though!)

And yes, this whole thread is a conspiracy so a badger's got somewhere to post! tongue

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
yeah dirt has a lot of minerals and the likes in....

but personally i say lifes too short to 'circumcise' mushrooms

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
i 'ate mushrooms! they ming!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
My lady's the same. I think I'm going to blindfold her and slice some up in a salad, and feed it to her. I bet she'd love them!

Although, to be fair, her problem is with the black liquid they produce when cooked. Which is minging.

Thoreau

meghannenthusiast
302 posts

Posted:
my parents peel them or if not rub them hard with kitchen roll to rub off the mud, i personaly dont care either way and if im only cookin for myself i dont bother to wash them, i saw this documentary years ago called eat mud, its actualy good for u as it builds up yor immune system, if other people are eating tho, i wash them and have been known to peel them too! smile

ive learned
life is tough... but im tougher

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
Peeling mushrooms is the norm in my house. My mum has a thing with all the pesticides and chemicals and such on the skin. When I was a kid I presumed all mushrooms got peeled... you weird non-peelers of mushrooms, you...

mmm mushrooms... taste great in Carbonara sauce

smells like burning teenagers..

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
mmmmmmmmm MUSHROOMS (dribble).... i got to admit i have peeled 'shrooms before, but i got annoyed with it being soooooo fiddley i don't bother. as long as there washed and "prepped" before hand, your laughing!!!! eek eek eek eek ubbloco ubbloco

meghannenthusiast
302 posts

Posted:
they r best cooked tho, raw they arent too great and must be peeled, hot, eithers good especialy in garlic butter or breadcrumbs... or both.... ummmm.... i wonder...

ive learned
life is tough... but im tougher

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
ewww, so slimy-I can't stand mushrooms.

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
so basically I am getting the impression from this thread that mushroom peeling is pretty much an english/australian thing?

-v-

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
sometimes i do, sometimes i don't. there's not really any reason, it just depends.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i dont peel em

i'd eat them anyway at all though. love em

this is an incredibly long thread about mushrooms.

Love is the law.

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
:s mushrooms are nasty

The one time i tried the magic variety, the worst part was eating them :S ewy.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
peel mushrooms? wtf? you people have far too much time on your hands! You'll be stuffing them next!

wash, cut off 1cm or so of stalk where it's dried out, cook

Page: