• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 123
Dentrassi
GOLD Member since Apr 2003

Dentrassi

ZORT!

Total posts: 3044
Posted:i discovered something fascinating the other evening when i was at Rozi's house cooking dinner [well, she was doing the cooking, but anyway]...

does anyone else peel mushrooms? now in my 20 odd years of mushroom consumption, i have never before encountered this phenonena. by grabbing the lip inside the button bit, the outer surface peels off leaving decidedly clean and non-dirty mushrooms.

i can admit to being non-fussy about cleaning at times, but have i been committing some great sin against modern dining ettiquette by cooking & eating mushrooms uncircumcised [...so to speak]...?

biggrin

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Delete Topic

Rouge Dragon
BRONZE Member since Jul 2003

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Total posts: 13215
Posted:I don't do it (ok, so i rarely eat mushrooms), but I have seen people do it. perhaps it's my grandma (the only person's house i think i have eaten mushrooms at)

also, my great grandma used to buy mushrooms that we open slightly so she could look inside to make sure they were really mushrooms and not toadstoods! no wonder I love conspiracy theories!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete

Phaerie
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

Phaerie

veteran

Total posts: 1240
Posted:personally im not a mushroom fan at the best of times, but yes i am familiar with the practice of mushroom peeling. However through my observation i have discovered this seems to be a fairly rare occurance, even in the most avid of mushroom consumers kitchens. i guess its a matter of dedication to your mushroom... just how far will you go?

Only when you close your eyes can you really see...

Delete

Catalyst
SILVER Member since Nov 2003

Catalyst

Total posts: 103
Posted:I like mushrooms, and have never encountered a mushroom peeler.....even while hanging out with people that cook a lot....maybe i'll have to try it....

Delete

Parafinfairy
SILVER Member since Sep 2003

Parafinfairy

old hand

Total posts: 845
Posted:Peeled or not they are so horrible!! I've tried so hard to like them but no, they're bad!!

I have seen people peel them before though... If I ate them myself I probably wouldn't bother! smile

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

Delete

nearly_all_gone
SILVER Member since Aug 2004

nearly_all_gone

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1626
Posted:I said the same thing when I came to uni and found everyone else in my kitchen (that's like 11 people) did. I'm so pleased that I'm not such a lazy bastard after all.

A wash and a bit of a scrub sometimes is good enough for me.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Delete

spritie
SILVER Member since Sep 2001

spritie

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 2014
Posted:I love mushrooms, but I have never encountered someone even attempting to peel one. How odd that seems to me. It's always just wash and chop for me.

Delete

nearly_all_gone

nearly_all_gone

Pooh-Bah

Posted:It's such a pain in the arse to have to peel them too. They're so soft in themselves that trying to get the outer skin off them is like... I don't know. Actually you could use peeling a mushroom for something that is extremely difficult and tedious. Such as "learning the 5bt was like peeling a mushroom".

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Delete

Devilstick_Russell
BRONZE Member since May 2004

I like devilstick...

Total posts: 196
Posted:i eat them raw, too lazy to cook them. They are the nicest raw food on earth, except babies

Does this site actually exist? Or am i talking to all my other personalities?

Delete

roarfire
SILVER Member since Jul 2004

roarfire

comfortably numb

Total posts: 2676
Posted:I always peel them, it's very satisfying. Heh

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Delete

oli
SILVER Member since Jul 2003

not with cactus

Total posts: 2052
Posted:ubbrollsmile

on toast with garlic

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

duballstar
SILVER Member since Sep 2003

duballstar

slack rating - 9.5

Total posts: 2216
Posted:i never used to like them but since my sister turned veggie i've gradually been introduced to the pleasures of more and more tasty vegtables. often think about peeling mushrooms but unless you're gonna eat them raw in salad or something i don't think it's worth the effort... smile

cooked a yummy mushroom an courgette korma last night..mmmmm... tongue

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Delete

vanize
SILVER Member since Aug 2001

vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3899
Posted:I have to say one of the things I love about europe is the vast array of different mushroom types you can purchase at the markets here! Some are so yummy!

and I have yet to see someone peel a muchroom - not even a snotty european. wink

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Delete

Kit

veteran

Total posts: 1269
Posted:my dad has this crazy little brush thing that does it for you
just scrubs away the top skin. but i'vegone off mushrooms in a major way recently....

there was this beach party....

<waves> at Oli

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

Delete

nearly_all_gone

nearly_all_gone

Pooh-Bah

Posted:I had a really bad experience on Mushrooms but I have to say they tasted so good I've got totally hooked on (non psych) raw ones... they taste so fresh if you eat them out of the fridge biggrin

Thoreau

Delete

Posted:Mushroom, Mushroom!

Delete

vanize

vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:rolleyes

this whole thread was just a setup for the badger, wasn't it?

-v-

Delete

Mand
SILVER Member since Oct 2003

Mand

Keeper of the Spitfire

Total posts: 2317
Posted:I've seen a few people who peel their mushrooms.

Personally I don't go for it.
Apart from the effort, you apparently lose a lot of the vitamins and goodness that's just under the skin.

I say just give 'em a bit of a rinse. The little bit of dirt left on the after that will do you good (probably counteracted by the pesticides left on there though!)

And yes, this whole thread is a conspiracy so a badger's got somewhere to post! tongue

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

Delete

stroo
SILVER Member since Feb 2003

stroo

trusty sidekick to superman

Total posts: 799
Posted:yeah dirt has a lot of minerals and the likes in....

but personally i say lifes too short to 'circumcise' mushrooms

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

Delete

Flame Boy
GOLD Member since Jul 2004

Flame Boy

veteran

Total posts: 1508
Posted:i 'ate mushrooms! they ming!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Delete

nearly_all_gone

nearly_all_gone

Pooh-Bah

Posted:My lady's the same. I think I'm going to blindfold her and slice some up in a salad, and feed it to her. I bet she'd love them!

Although, to be fair, her problem is with the black liquid they produce when cooked. Which is minging.

Thoreau

Delete

meghann

enthusiast

Total posts: 302
Posted:my parents peel them or if not rub them hard with kitchen roll to rub off the mud, i personaly dont care either way and if im only cookin for myself i dont bother to wash them, i saw this documentary years ago called eat mud, its actualy good for u as it builds up yor immune system, if other people are eating tho, i wash them and have been known to peel them too! smile

ive learned
life is tough... but im tougher

Delete

Flapjacks
SILVER Member since Mar 2004

part of the lonely trio

Total posts: 137
Posted:Peeling mushrooms is the norm in my house. My mum has a thing with all the pesticides and chemicals and such on the skin. When I was a kid I presumed all mushrooms got peeled... you weird non-peelers of mushrooms, you...

mmm mushrooms... taste great in Carbonara sauce

smells like burning teenagers..

Delete

alien_oddity

alien_oddity

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 7193
Posted:mmmmmmmmm MUSHROOMS (dribble).... i got to admit i have peeled 'shrooms before, but i got annoyed with it being soooooo fiddley i don't bother. as long as there washed and "prepped" before hand, your laughing!!!! eek eek eek eek ubbloco ubbloco

Delete

meghann

enthusiast

Total posts: 302
Posted:they r best cooked tho, raw they arent too great and must be peeled, hot, eithers good especialy in garlic butter or breadcrumbs... or both.... ummmm.... i wonder...

ive learned
life is tough... but im tougher

Delete

Trillian
BRONZE Member since Feb 2004

Trillian

Llamas are larger than frogs.

Total posts: 319
Posted:ewww, so slimy-I can't stand mushrooms.

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

Delete

vanize

vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:so basically I am getting the impression from this thread that mushroom peeling is pretty much an english/australian thing?

-v-

Delete

Tao Star

Tao Star

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1662
Posted:sometimes i do, sometimes i don't. there's not really any reason, it just depends.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Delete

ado-p
GOLD Member since May 2004

ado-p

Pirate Ninja

Total posts: 3882
Posted:i dont peel em

i'd eat them anyway at all though. love em

this is an incredibly long thread about mushrooms.

Love is the law.

Delete

Facelessjoker
BRONZE Member since Sep 2004

enthusiast

Total posts: 249
Posted::s mushrooms are nasty

The one time i tried the magic variety, the worst part was eating them :S ewy.

Delete

flid
BRONZE Member since Aug 2002

flid

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3136
Posted:peel mushrooms? wtf? you people have far too much time on your hands! You'll be stuffing them next!

wash, cut off 1cm or so of stalk where it's dried out, cook

Delete

Page: 123