BTB Fishtailes.

:],

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

mrsoapnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons/staff_lessons.php?lesson=26

That's a tiny bit like what my move is like (at least the beginning part). The twirler sits down but doesn't actually roll over.

I like the name lawnmower. I think I'm going to call it that wink

Love,
- Eric

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Startet spinning in my left hand yesterday. learned all the fishtail variations that i know on my right. might even have a go at doubles in a few days. I did get the start of a doubles fishtail isolation. same as a normal on but your doingin fishtails. And turning.

Tried all the contact i know in the opposite direction... i've never done this before... and i was pleasantly surprised that it wasnt bad or as hard as i imagined. in fact some things are just easier that way. Steves for example. I've always started them on my bad hand... i can do them in the other direction too but getting extra spins isnt as intuitive at all. My forwards fig 8 is great on my right hand. my reverse is better on my left. My reverse fishtail is better on my right hand!! and my forwards is much better on my left. Also. I finally got the trick of 'real' forwards fishtails on both hands.. its all about the drop baby.

I also spent a good bit of time making my fishtails 'nice'. Coz i realised they were wonky.

Got a jesus with my hands down by my sides. An athiest? wink

I learned the matrix. Finally. Started on angel rolls too.

And finally i have some wicked stuff that i could spend all day explaining and it still would not make sense. None spinny staff. Mutant thumbs and stuff that you can do with your upper arms. So i'll make a video. Really i will... Anyone got a wee bit of space?

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
course I have ado! anytime!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
yay ado do a vid! id love to see you spin

Just been for a very satisfying spin. Lucero's getting much smoother and im now working on doing them with my arms by my sides. You have to turn much slower than i thought. Been playing with entries and exit for them too, you can go in from virtually anything but im particularly liking the v. steve entry and exit.

Also worked on the fishtailing down arm angel roll. Only one fishtail per arm so far but i think more can be added.

"Don't do it naked!"

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
right. i'll record it tonight. our camera makes mp4. already compressed. failry good quality.

i dont have a pc i can edit on so it'l be rough as a bears a*rse.

mcp. do i need som ftp info off you or something?

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
you can yousendit to me or I can make an ftp account for you... whichever really... biggrin ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
New move, matrix take offs.

I got the idea from chronos steve take off idea (rolling down the first quarter steve then taking the staff off at the shoulder straight into 3rd quarter of full steve).

Basically you start doing a matrix (from neck going under right shoulder) and instead of getting the staff onto your chest you put your left hand (palm down) into the path of the staff and do a quarter steve. These can be done continusly.

Also today i got 5 in a row continuous fishtail angel roll fishtail turn. Trying to get it so there is only one beat of fishtail between angel rolls.

Oi Ado! wheres this vid then? wink

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I made a vid this weekend.

Then I burnt it onto a cd using windows media player.

Then I watched the music for a while on my other computer.

Then I got REALLY pissed off.

frown

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
i thought you had premier? media player is pants (so's premier in my oppinion but ive got a mac tongue)
horray for a new meg vid

"Don't do it naked!"

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Ha ha.

I've made a vid alright. Its one full burn. 70mb. Bit dark, Not very technical.

!'ve got a copy of premier somewhere. So now i have to figure it out. Coz i havent a clue smile

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
eh, windows media player isn't a video editor... and abode premier can't burn cd's... That was the main problem, the computer wouldn't recognise the cd as burnable and I couldn't burn it using something sensible... maybe tonight thou...

I'm gonna try Lives for linux, I've never got it working before, but this new distribution might be the first to get it to work... either that or it's back to gentoo...

Want an ftp account ado-p? I can also give ya a: ado-p.tepookatoys.com domain... biggrin

got an arm roll (steve style) to half andre matrix. It much nicer than the rob version, and very see-sawy

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
sorry meant windows movie maker.

you dont burn with premier you export your film using a codec (divx or whatever probably in the file menu) then use something like nero to burn the file

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah, I know. I did do computer science for a degree yeah? You don't teach your grandma how to suck eggs... Nero would have worked if the drive / windows had found the cd at all... I didn't do a degree on how to stop windows sucking ass.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
fair enough sorry redface

i did once try teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, she was really good at it, the lack of teeth helped i think.

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I think that's a big part of it, I'm not sure on the motivation for wanting to suck eggs in the first place thou.. So I've never tried it.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
i learnt loads biggrin

the limbo - cheers mags
new continuous conveyor, cheers strugz.

1 complete anti-turn matrix (my back is F***ed)

and prayer rolls with an extra beat around the steepled hands.

and had great fun teaching strugz the anti-christ.. (strugz... remember ...you have to turn LEFT ubblol )

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
I just made me a practice staff biggrin (wood dowel, nylon rope heads)..
My wrists are gonna be soooooore from this thing..
Learning basic spins, basic throws.. fun stuffs smile

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yet Another Video: (Y.A.V.)

https://videos.tepookatoys.com/media/snuft3.0.wmv

adobe: your bits the second half.

Sorry I didn't name the moves, two hours of watching myself spin was too much for me.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
yum yum doubles contact - continuous loops of elbow-wrist-wrist-elbow while hand spinning/swapping other staff simultaneously.

ive finally got of my arse to make some new practice and fire contact doubles (old ones too bent) so might actually work stuff out again. alas ive been seduced by the dark side of poi butterfloops for a couple of months so am a bit rusty on the old contact doubles.

*sigh* even my single staff matrix variants i used to work so hard on have gone to sh*ite.

havent checked out the videos for a while, and was thinking i might update that Contact Links thread i wrote a while back.

which contact videos over the past year or so do you guys reckon should be linked?

E ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1145407998)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
well IMO

vodka and orange
https://videos.tepookatoys.com/media/VO1.0.avi

beer, wine and cider
https://inspinerate.com/video/beerwinecider.mov

Tea and Crumpet
https://videos.tepookatoys.com/media/TEA_AND_CRUMPET.MOV

Winter of spin
https://inspinerate.com/video/winterofspin05.mov

Meastic 2
https://cyberdada.free.fr/video/meastick2.wmv

and possibly a pinch of napalm
https://inspinerate.com/video/a_pinch_of_napalm.mov
although there is some poi in there as well

and while im doing a blatant self plug for inspinerate there is also contact tutorials
https://inspinerate.com/tutorials.php

and obviously megs tutorials too
https://www.firestaff-tutorials.co.uk

"Don't do it naked!"

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Haha! I think I found my staff flow today.. had a good 'ol short session with a great feeling loose spin. Now all I gotta do is start with the contact stuff (have half the conveyor)..

Much fun, much fun biggrin.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
thanx Sandy hug thats much better than going through the tedious process of downloading and watching everything myself
ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
A standard matrix has three beats. An Andre matrix has two and a half, it loses half a beat by missing out the neck wrap and just doing a back roll.

More variations....

I've been doing a two and a half beat matrix, missing out the throat wrap and replacing it with a chest roll.

Two beat matrix. Missing out both the neck and throat wraps, and replacing with chest and back rolls.

One beat matrix. A "flat" chest transfer, and a "flat" back transfer. Picture a cross section through the torso at armpit level. You'd have a funny oval shape. In a one beat matrix a horizontal propeller is being performed with this cross section.

One and a half beat matrix. A "flat" chest/back transfer with a back/chest roll.

Two beat matrix. A "flat" chest/back transfer with a neck/throat wrap.

Also getting more consistent with matrix propellers, and interrupting the matrix with limbo's and neck spins. So hopefully lots more variations to find.

Any thoughts on how to name matrix variants? The number of beats isn't specific enough, as it can refer to entirely separate moves.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
you must be bendy.

I think we should name them on bendiness scales. ubbloco

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubbrollsmile

I'm finding that the trick is more in the correct placement of arm on staff when going into the propeller. But yes, I can touch my ankles on a good day.

biggrin

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Had my first spin for ages today (hopfully i've seen the back of my wrist injury which has been pissing me off all winter). no new move to speak of (not that i'd tell you lot anyway, dirty vulchers tongue ) just been rolling about on the floor lots. smile

haven't really played about with matrix combos much, to be honest I'd like to get my matrixs solider first

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I did my first ever casual 'hey look, i can do a matrix' today.

so finally i can do it. im not sure which variation it is. i think its the 'rob' or 'standard' version smile

it only took me a year.

wait till i show you the other stuff though. you'll jump up and down wink

Love is the law.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Loads and loads of stuff, really productive afternoon. Just wanted to share that biggrin It's sunny. Why aren't you outside doing staff?!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
outside training for parkour...

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
psh.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Page: ......