BTB Fishtailes.

:],

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Picked up a staff for the first time on Sunday...after I got back from Nottingham, it was straight onto the lessons on the website.

I've managed to not really be able to do the 'full rotation in each hand' because I can't consistantly keep the rotations constant, meaning I swap hands too early sometimes (don't ask me how).
Same with the helicopter.
I've managed to pass behind the back at hip level and above the head.
Ooooh, oooh, i can do the figure 8 too! tongue

That was a productive 30 minutes the night I got back then collapsed into bed biggrin

It's better to burn out than to fade away

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Really good practise today!!! Finally getting consistent with back of the neck (BOTN) fish tails, and BOTN weaves (reverse). Also playing with steves into head spins then back into steves. Rolls quite nicely onto the top of my head, but having trouble getting more than half a rotation before it rolls/spins off. Feels lovely when it works though...

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
what is (BOTN) ???

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Back Of The Neck!

(good ancronymage chrono though I have no idea what you are talking about otherwise. )

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ah thought i was something like that smile

umm i learnt how to make my self bleed with my sticks the other day, it wasnt good frown

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
erm... on the Back Of The Neck. Just fish tails or the weave motion done with the neck (and a bit of shoulder) instead of the wrist. Hope that makes more sense.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I've decided to call extra beats of propellors (retarded fishtail style) added to dual fishtails "flippers" cos the staff just flips over and then you continue fishtailing.

Plus it has added meaning cos flipper was a dolphin. (hence a fish, well mostly fish, well he had a tail. That good enough for me.)

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Anti-Turn Jesus, Tried it last night, don't really think it's possible. Going across your front seems doable, but I can't transition to my back at all.

Doubles: Thank god Dave is back! Sweet as anti-spin doubles shenanigans.

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
got left handed club fishtails going quite nicely, now to start work on double club fishtail
umm see you next year

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: T&B

see you next year

frown

so far away...

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ok....... so am i being really thick

**checks for staff move section**

a club fishtail, is that with a club? or are we talking sticky fun eh?

and next year............cmon Tim ive seen you learn shite faster than that ubblol

saying that eek its only 2 months away......
rolleyes

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah with a club, tim's got it nailed with his right, I can only do a couple, he can do LOADS!

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

Sweet as anti-spin doubles shenanigans

*ears prick up*

such aaaaaas?

antispin sticks is messing me head up. i keep having to ask people
"Are these sticks going round? Am i still doing what i was doing before or am i doing something different now? Does this look like anything?"

cue: them looking at me strangely and saying "what? i don't know what you're doing."

and i can't tell if that means good or bad confused2

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Just like, doing the (I don't know what terminology you use in your head...) the half anti-spin, half-isolated reversed, one beat thing. (Though it's slightly more than one beat somehow, cos one end goes behind you.)

Doing that in butterfly, and parralel, and then trying to do it so that it's like split time... (I think in butterfly) so that one end is anti-spinning, while the other is doing the isolation. Haven't even tried flowers yet. Still feels awesome and super confusing. And ties really nicely into pendulums and other manipulation stuff...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

kick ass!

You get that without the spin on the back of the neck?

I don't know about anti-TURN half steves, it doesn't seem to have that same anti feeling as other anti moves...

I can get a spin on the back of my neck while spinning the opposite way but havent managed to get it into the steve itself yet, workin on it though. smile

i know what you mean about the steve and getting that 'anti feeling' though.

oh i almost forgot, I did a matrix! just one mind. smile
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1129293666)

Love is the law.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i've almost got a seatrix now and am working on getting it into the last part of a steve from it.

also i haven't tried it yet but i'm thinking about doing a matrix with one stick while doin a steve with the other

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I have this obsession with learning fishtails. N?x couldn't teach me... meg's videos couldn't teach me... ben-ja-min's videos couldn't teach me... someone better teach me next time i go to england!

I hate having to learn directly from people and then live in podunkville...

of course we all know i suck.

but I got the staff to spin on my head today so i'm feeling pround biggrin
like, actually do a rotor spin on top of my head, without any other thing touching it. drunken spinning leads to such fun and useless things..... biggrin

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Fishtails suck wink

Headspins rock biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
coz you have a flat frankenstein head FRD ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I think this is one of those things I can only do whilst drunk....

shrug

back to trying to learn fishtails, once I get this damn email sent off... (I've been writing it for about half an hour so far...)

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ok useless advice about fishtails.....
they will piss you off for months, then you'll do something wrong and it will work and thne you think why the feck did i not do that before and get pissed at your self for a while, then its all good smile

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Took me a days practice to get fishtails.

Then again, mine aren't proper fishtails.... I tuck my hand under..

redface

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Written by: yoni

i've almost got a seatrix now and am working on getting it into the last part of a steve from it.

also i haven't tried it yet but i'm thinking about doing a matrix with one stick while doin a steve with the other

what a seatrix? sound like a matrix sitting down wink

also your matrix an steve together sound interesting but I really can't see how you would combine them, as far as I can see they would either come together on the back of the neck then would be pretty much impossible to seperate into the second hafe or you would be leaning competly the wrong way for one of the moves??? explan, at which point would you start them?

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
a seatrix is basicalla matrix that starts in a steve so it rolls down your arm whilst spinning then you lean and it goes into the matrix

as for the two together it was mainly just a thought but i was thinking to start the steve as u put the other stick under your armpit for the matrix so they would go across the back of your neck at different times tho i think to make it work you may have to change planes which couldbe hard and possibly do a vertical steve instead. i'll let you know more after more experimentation

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Written by: strugz

ok....... so am i being really thick

**checks for staff move section**

a club fishtail, is that with a club? or are we talking sticky fun eh?

and next year............cmon Tim ive seen you learn shite faster than that ubblol

saying that eek its only 2 months away......
rolleyes

come on i'd get even more slack if i tried to post it in the juggling section

anyhow 6 beats today tomorrow the world...

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Written by: yoni

a seatrix is basicalla matrix that starts in a steve so it rolls down your arm whilst spinning then you lean and it goes into the matrix

alway called that a stevetrix myself well the first hafe anyway

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
i think i just did a static half steve!!! been trying to get half steves down but having problems with back of the neck, cant get it onto my other shoulder or if it does it just flies off wont roll down past my elbow! although i do it by accident and then cant work out how i did it... but its cool im gonna practise loads go down the beach i think today, its crazily hot up here!

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: burningoftheclavie

i think i just did a static half steve!!! been trying to get half steves down but having problems with back of the neck, cant get it onto my other shoulder or if it does it just flies off wont roll down past my elbow! although i do it by accident and then cant work out how i did it... but its cool im gonna practise loads go down the beach i think today, its crazily hot up here!

You have to come over and teach me staff! You should be down Bellfield park with me - spinning - not writing about your latest move! lol biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Tink your in the wrong forum....

strugz... that anti-turn jesus..well i got it to go over the throat then over the neck and kept it on my shoulders...it WILL be done

oh and strugz...6 consectutive jesuses WITH witnesses... is that continuous now... wink or have you upped the number needed for it to be continuous to 10 ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Page: ......