:R

POI THEO(R)IST

say_cheeseSILVER Member
Brown
288 posts

Posted:
i just got fishtails! wooo!
kinda messy and i can only do them on my right hand so far,
Anyone have any tips cleaning up fishtails?

ubbrollsmile

Official Nutella Fan Club

Go Nutella!

elsamsaraSILVER Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
today was such a nice day .... i practised a little bit and it went more fluid than normal ...
then it happened eek
first I did five rounds of the prayer without opening the arms!! biggrin (normally i am happy with two of them! )
and just ten minutes later i tried the matrix and after the first round when i normally have to ' 'help' a little wink - the staff was still on a perfekt position and i got a second round!!! bounce2bounce2bounce2 yeeah! i love this moment when you recognize that you are in the flow and you know that the movement, you are about to do, will work... ubbloco

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
 Written by: strugz

ok....

started single staff fun last night again smile

Managed a lovely little combo:

Conveyor pivot 3,2,1 - into revese fishtail (slight carry over to get into this direction) - normal converyor - forward fishtail - carry over to reverse - into angel roll - into forward fishtail - back to conveyor.

ubbangel

man this could go on for ages.

My next post will be all about spinny spinny stuff just for simian wink

hug

show-off rolleyes
ubblol

I just learnt
monkey stance with rolls feels nice

oh and prayer rolls with a triple beat a the prayer wink
tricky
and done a continuous prayer roll a few times (3 in a row 3 times in a row also done it twice with stalls biggrin )

I need to watch some of you guys at play.. bluecat had some nice tricks a wychwood

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
biggrin

its ok Mincey - one day youll get there too wink

in the not too distant future as well, you b'stard! biggrin

see you at play dude - oh my did i spell your name wrong wink

ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Kev_newbie
13 posts

Posted:
At the weekend I did my first SNES without cracking my skull!

I'm such a noob. frown biggrin

EDIT: oh yeah, I started working on a steve too but since I have no idea what a steve is or whether what I'm attempting is a half-steve/minimal-steve/steve-with-mayo/whatever I can't really say whether it's going ok or not. I can basically get it to wrap off my hand and roll down my arm, and kinda balance on my shoulder. It feels like it wants to carry on and wrap my neck but I don't trust it enough not to brain me repeatedly yet. redface
EDITED_BY: Naphtha (1150732039)

- Honk if you love peace and quiet!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
yes strugz but I'll let you off ubblol with spelling like that are you sure you're not from dorset wink

oh yeah i also learnt, continuous windmill / fountain with between the legs passes biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
I don't exactly have a name for it yet, but I just taught myself to do a 360 handstand with single staff, if anyone knows what to call this other than spinning handstand, please advise. biggrin

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
finally...proper angel rolls...and jesus with hands in pockets smile

N.b. never trying a vertical steve again...they hurt ubblol

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Lopsided fishtails, with the wrist at the 1/4 (3/4?) point of the staff, instead of the centre. Really changes the rythym of the move from being balanced to quick/slow/quick/slow. Only backwards so far.

Also being practising a smooth devilstick type transition from fishtails to horizontal propellors and back again.

smile

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
i know the fishtail thing, been doing that for quite a while, it means you can put some intersting wrist wraps inand from fowards to backward with them makes intersting shapes.

I found a few really nice things, like going from crosses to contact with 1 sick.

steves to horizontal angels, and some other stuff i cant really explain.

i also worked out how to do some cool both stick contact, i just cant actually do it yet, need to train my body to move those ways natrually first i guess.

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
- foreward cutback (no handwrap).

I meen like foreward fishtale,

but elbow.

lightning, :R

POI THEO(R)IST

329 posts

Posted:
Respect on the forwards cutbacks. I still can't get mine consistently clean.

I've been working on....

Plane changes at the shoulder. Similar to way you can switch fishtails from vertical to horizontal and back without stopping the staff. Luceros can be scooped sideways into horizontal throatwraps. And after a horiz throatwrap the staff can be scooped upwards into luceros.

Forwards fishtails on the back of the neck. Finally got these smooth.

Vertical neck propellers. With lots of shoulder shimmy and a twist.

Continous matrix propellers, coming fom the front. 5 in a row is my best so far. And a matrix with propeller on each arm.

Special matrixes.

Linking up the whole angel roll Vert. steve family with wrist propellers, fishtails and turns.

Making a trident end for my nesbitt's staff!

But I still can't get steves into headspins with anything other than luck.

Practise, practise, practise....

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
All f that sounds sweet dude - however forward fishtail on the back of the neck??

How - what? erm................ confused

isnt that like cross between a lucero and a turnin halo?

Why the hell were you not at PLAY ubbloco

Im still yet to here a decent excuse wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

329 posts

Posted:
I was being evicted from squat/finding new place to live. And if you don't believe that then...erm... Kidnapped by stealth foxes! smile

As for the neck fishtail thing. Start a SNES at right shoulder, after it's rolled over the back of your neck control lightly with left shoulder/neck whilst turning left (turning right would take you into a halo) to send it over the back of your neck again. Repeat on other side.

If you can't see the stealth foxes it's already too late....

biggrin

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Dude - sweet - i never thought of it being a fistail on your neck, i already do that i think (will have a play this evening) does that not then come back to the same side?

mmmmm.........

Damn, foxes, why didnt you say so! biggrin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I had something funny to say... what was it?

well I've forgotten. But stealth foxes? Can't have been very stealthy, since you saw them enough to figure out they were stealth foxes.

Oh wait, special matrixes, did they go to a special school? wink

I didn't think I was bendy enough for the front andre transfer, but it turns out I am. Plus meghan [censored] offspring matrixes are happening by accident. which is fun.

The anti-halo is pretty easy, I think the anti-angel will be pretty hard thou. Can't think of how any anti-wraps would work thou... Anti-step would be pretty easy I feel, if I had three or four extra joins in my arms...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

329 posts

Posted:
I'm calling it a fishtail 'cos that's what it's most like. The staff stays centered on your neck, each end of the staff stays on it's own side of the neck (unlike a fig of 8) and your head does the "fishtail" motion as it moves under the staff.

But in honesty, to be a fishtail you'd have to not use the shoulders. Same for the backwards version, which is more like an abbreviated lucero than a fishtail.

329 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

But stealth foxes? Can't have been very stealthy, since you saw them enough to figure out they were stealth foxes.

They have to de-cloak before they attack....

329 posts

Posted:
Horizontal elbow stuff/conveyor belts.

Like the elbow to elbow pass in cutbacks, but horizontal. If you're supple and can cross your elbows a constant helicopter is possible too.

Been doing these for a while, but what I realised last night is that you can send the staff round to the underside of the elbows and do the same moves. Feels a bit like a mini matrix if you link it all together, and joins really nicely with normal matrixes.

Entering from underarm left, across underside of elbows, topside of elbows, underside of elbows again then underarm right and back into matrix.

Doing horizontal elbow propellers makes me wonder if vertical is possible too....

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
This last sunday at the Portland fire jam was my second go at contact staff on fire. I was able to pull off a steve, lauching the staff into the air off the wrist at the end, catching it on the return on the wrist for another steve.. Damn that felt good smile. Also, just pulled off the second portion of the matrix after the beginning of a steve (non-fire)... I'm starting to feel the staff much better now. Fun stuffs indeed. My contact staffing is still ugly as dirt, but getting there.

Peace,

- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Doubles anti spin...

bounce2

Poncing around like a ninja

smile

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:

doubls antispin flowers with isolated turns.....

erm - missed poncing like a ninja - but i did learn fishtail vertical stalls, with turns....... Thanks ado!

what else.....

i tightened up continuous doubles halo (under shoulder entry)

biggrin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
HOW WAS THE EJC!?!?!?!?!?!

soooooooooo jealous.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Rubbish.

The camping space was full of trees. The grassy area for juggling on was huge and soft. The hall was massive The sun was out almost every day... And the people... Hippies... everywhere.

And a man juggling in speedos. Inside...

Actually there were more than one man like this... I want to know whats going on with that...

Strugz... Doubles Antispin Isolated Flowers with Turns. is that what i learned? I like the sound of it...

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
obviously rubbish and totally gay - you wouldnt have liked it wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
trees! Oh man, I looooooove trees. Hmmmmmmm. And branches of trees especially.... horizontal ones, preferably....

speedo juggling is a bit wrong thou, unless it's somebody you know on a renegade stage, and everybody involved is drunk.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Ado - no dude you learnt antispin weave - now turn with it arms fully extended.......

once you got that - then try going from left side to right side (essentially forming 3 of those diamonds we talked about) one left - one in front and one right.

All without moving yer feet biggrin

Man in speedos had orange balls eek

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
how do you make one in front... makes no sense to me visually? two parralell planes right?

Love is the law.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
my bet is that the man in speedos was german - based purely on the fact that the speedo man camped next to my mum and dad's tent was german.

i'm suprised no-one mentioned the rest of last night speedo man's outfit:

trainers, black socks and a bumbag ubblol

oh, and i learnt to spin an antispin figure-8 with one stick.

thanks monkey hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

how do you make one in front... makes no sense to me visually? two parralell planes right?

ok - i hate descriptions but......

anti spin weave to your left (reverse) - one diamond shape with arms..........

as you transfer to an anti spin weave to your right (which will be forwards) - obviosly making another diamond shape with arms.....

the third diamond is in the transfer in front of you.

Feels wierd - im yet to see it - but monkey said it looked sweet - so im inclined to agree wink

Make sense now?

biggrin

Page: ......