POI THEO(R)IST

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Yay for cheaty contact biggrin

ubblol

Ive edited above - hopefully now makes a bit more sense smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
My apologies for the poor explanations. redface All this stuff would be much easier to show in person, hope it's still usefull though.

The backwards shoulder half-fishtails are controlled with quite pronounced shoulder movements. Think scooping underneath the staff.

The forwards version I end up controlling with my chin, not sure if you consider this cheating. To take this into a jesus requires you to get your face out of the way pretty sharpish, so is done in a slow controlled manner.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
hey dude - no worries - no matter how clear txt can be its always hard to make out smile

as for showing us - wherebouts is the "infinate fun space" in which you live smile

As for the move you just mentioned - i know just what you mean - ive been playing with snes to stall........

only stalling with your chin so the staff is bang on vertical resting on your shoulder - then trying to flick it into a jesus..... wicked move when you get it thats for sure - although its always touch and go as far as smacking your face goes as im trying to do this without leaning at all biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Three cheers for geeky contact staff biggrin bounce bounce2 beerchug

I reckon it's only a matter of day before no one can understand this thread

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

329 posts

Posted:
Written by: strugz

ive got some footage of a baton twirler and Bams doing the shoulder fishtaily things - your bicept and elbows seem to control alot of the movemet.......

I'm guessing these would be cutbacks, continuous elbow half-fistails linked with a pass between inward facing wrists and lots of turning? I think someone posted a good video on this site.

With lucero's the arms could be down by your sides, the centre of the staff being between your neck and shoulder.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
cutbacks are also called fujimi's! I learned that also... And they are quite hard, and your definately not allowed to use your hand. (or you incur a 0.1 point penalty.)

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Oh I learnt the "pick up a kid's glitter filled baton and start spinning and break it on the third missed throw" move today in my kitchen. Will still be finding purple sparkles in a year's time *sigh*

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

329 posts

Posted:
MCP- do you know how new moves are added to the "acceptable" list of moves in baton twirling. I'm assuming that like figure skating, routines are assembled from some sort of official list. Moves not on the list presumably recieving no score. Just wondering how their art evolves.

There must be loads of variations, even entirely new moves, that they don't do. I think you gave steve's as an example of this.

It seems like a good source of inspiration anyway, going through their trickset and filling in the blanks.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Open prayer fishtales.

EDIT: Hand like prayer touching by wrists.

light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Chrono: I'll ask next week, if she comes back. And if not, I will go round to her house and stalk her... wink

I think they have so much to consider other than contact (rolls) that they don't get as much chance to develop it. There's lots of variation we don't see, like what they're doing under the big throws, the throw combinations, and the groundwork. Plus they have to develop all of these areas as well as contact, it's not easy. I personally would guess from talking to her that it's allowed, so long as it doesn't touch your hands. (which is a boo boo.)

Richee: 'Open'?

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I fear I may have hit a staffing rut. frown

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

329 posts

Posted:
@Richee: palms still facing each other, or palms facing down?

@MCP: totally agree with your points about baton twirling, I certainly wasn't being arrogant. They seem to only use the hardest contact available to them, I was mainly thinking of how we could fill in the easy parts they miss out. The elbow/wrists/elbow conveyor belt variations for instance, they just seem to go elbow/elbow.

@FRD: yep I occasionally have the same thing, go try some contact juggling, It's different enough to be interesting but I find the skills I pickup really inspire my staffing.

Now I'm going to stop clogging up this thread untill I've actually learned a new move. smile

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
"yep I occasionally have the same thing, go try some contact juggling, It's different enough to be interesting but I find the skills I pickup really inspire my staffing."

I've tried a bit of CJ, but I'm a horrendosly slow learner, and CJ is ever so fiddly. Staff is normally my one main prop, and I normally like to focus on one thing at a time... still, I'll try and stick with both... smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

329 posts

Posted:
Okay, triple staff I've being playing with. Two pixie sticks held in hands, one normal size doing contact. If you can fishtail while holding a staff as well, pretty much all your normal contact moves are available, as well as a bunch of devilstick type locks/holds at the wrist.
Tricky not to get tangled up, tricky to keep the pixie sticks spinning and tricky to do contact as your arms/shoulders are slightly tensed from holding the pixie sticks.
There is so much to discover with this combination, but this morning finally got a few circuits of a prayer half-steve. Pixie sticks in a horizontal cross when the contact staff passes the wrists, then when the contact staff is on the neck, atomic butterflying the pixie sticks for a few beats.
I'm still exploring this so any ideas would be welcome.
smile

329 posts

Posted:
More triple staff stuff. Same combination of staffs as above.

Short staffs doing an atomic butterfly, contact staff doing a buzzsaw on the butterfly. Each time the contact staff is about to fall off the short staffs cross, giving it another step to "walk" onto.

Not got this anywhere near clean yet, may need a slightly shorter contact staff.

Intalamember
86 posts

Posted:
YEAH! I finally found the video tutorials on contact staff! (Did I mention that I'm blonde?) Now I finally know some moves to practise without having to wait till the next meet I can go to.

So, yesterday I learned conveyor belt (with a little cheat, I admit), finally learned the neck wrap actually goes over the second shoulder instead of just falling and continue to roll over my arm (if it doesn't just completely drop) and now working on halo.

Love, Intala

Practise Harry, practise

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ok so i nailed last night 4 times in a row :

snes - halo - jesus - halo - snes

tis kind of satisfying when you have that much contact in "one" move biggrin

ubbrollsmile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I learned how to ponce like a ballerina this weekend.

who needs techy contact when you can be a complete poser...

wink

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
dude for me to nail that much contact - i had to prance like a ballerina ubblol

arms out - chest out - toes pointed - pouty lips and everything wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I got a thing last night that baton twirlers do, that is a conveyor belt to halo (pivot) then trap and back the other way doing the pivot the other way, then trap and back the other way... etc. All with minimum beats.

Then I found out that that wasn't actually what the baton twirlers were doing, it was something weirder with a neckwrap transition back the other way.

and then I found out they didn't use traps, just elbow fishtails instead... frown

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

I learned how to ponce like a ballerina this weekend.

who needs techy contact when you can be a complete poser...

wink

We know dude, you were seen:

Non-Https Image Link

wink

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
That is more wrong that a very wrong thing. That is possibly the MOST wrong thing I have yet seen... ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol good job!

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
biggrin

it could be better - but it was a rush job on my lunch break smile

Glad it was taken in the jest it was given......... your next meg wink

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Wrong, yet alarmingly alluring!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
*runs off to puke in a bucket!*

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*winks at tinkle pants*

How you doin?

Love is the law.

Intalamember
86 posts

Posted:
I can do a Steve!!!! (2 out of 10 times or so)

Love, Intala

Practise Harry, practise

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i've forgotten how to do contact

confused

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
well it is much harder in a tutu.

Page: ......