unless you can sport a cheesy grin...

which seems to bridge the gap

wink

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Well you're also on pointe, which is pretty hard, and posing, so you've really got a lot on your mind.

Go change into some jeans and a t-shirt and it should be much easier. biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

*winks at tinkle pants*

How you doin?

um i'm ok.... *glances from side to side nervously* ubblol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
where's my head with jason garfield body strugz? I'm dissapointed, you're obviously using your lunchbreaks unproductively, like for eating or something.

Having fun currently rolling the staff up and down my arm. Vertically. While turning.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
I got something meg made me do, asscatches. They kick ass ass does rolling around on the floor.

Viva UGLY STAFF

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

where's my head with jason garfield body strugz?

hehehehe now thats got to be worth doing - give me a wee while smile

you wont be dissapointed ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Ok so firslty in relation to the above:

Non-Https Image Link

wink

Secondly - getting back on track - shoulder fishtails, not static mind, involving lots of turns!

& i have been playing with halo - but instead of going straight across back it does half fishtail on each shoulder biggrin

Oh and i leanrt how to "blur" in photoshop ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Hey! I even oiled up my arms!

Thou, I seem to have a strangely long neck.... Hmmm.

This photoshopping you have done makes me both cringe and laugh in equal amounts. eek

I learnt how to jump better. And that I can climb using only my hands.

plus: ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

Flaeyr_Munklefistnewbie
24 posts

Posted:
MCP got buff! She ain't been slack smile.

As for new moves - Finally got around to doing the shower, finishing up the Steve. I have spent waaaaaaaay too long doing basic spinny spinny and spinny doubles (1 year... yeesh, I have fallen behind).

There was once a man who dreamt he was a butterly, and when he awoke, he wished he would wake again to find his wings.

arbitrary_number_2newbie
21 posts

Posted:
an interesting move that i came up with the other day, which is probably already named, classified and "been done", but hell, i call it the Fin anyway.

Its a double contacts thingo. Starting with one staff gripped between two hands horizontally, you keep another locked between elbows. Then much like a prayer roll, or jesus roll, or whatever you worship roll, you turn and let the elbow gripped staffs roll up and onto the top of the other, creating a cross with one staff spinning and the other still between two hands. this then can be transferred into a roll down arm, round neck, back up other arm and then back into the original formation. Looks alot better than it sounds.

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Isolated steve variant- when the staff reaches the shoulder lean back and do a chest roll.

Matrix variant- normally a matrix would consist of a horizontal SNES and a horizontal throatside SNES linked with upper arm propellors. Instead I'm linking the propellors with a horizontal halo and a horizontal jesus. So that I'm leaning forwards where I'd normally be leant back and visa versa.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
nice.

Started to be able to do meghan variant matricies. Just been watching some old videos again and remembering things I forgot to practise... One handed pivots...

oh and the pedant in me says: A horizontal jesus consists of a horizontal halo on the back then the chest. Are you sure you meant this?

329 posts

Posted:
Maybe not, I didn't invent the terminology after all... I'll try and describe the move, maybe you would tell me what it sounds to you like I'm doing. smile

Staff travelling clockwise and horizontal around the body. Starting at left shoulder propellor, where the staff would normally travel across the throat for half a rotation instead duck forward and let it travel straight across the back to the right shoulder. Lean back and perform the shoulder propellor as normal, then instead of the half rotation across the back of the neck lean back and let the staff travel across the chest to the left shoulder, lean forward. Back at the start of the move.

Anyways, just for clarity, I had thought that the jesus was the frontside equivalent of the halo. Am I wrong in this?

Look forward to possibly meeting you one day and talking about terminology/descriptions, it's not really the way I think about staff, but it would make it easier to discuss with others. And it seems like you've put some real thought into the subject.

biggrin

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
no a jesus is the combination of a front and back halo, and turning. a halo on the chest is what I would call a frontside halo, thou sometimes I want to break my own rules and call it a chest halo or somesuch.

so jesus: starting with either the front or back: halo, turn 180, halo on the otherside of the body (bit of a shoulder wrap in the transition) turn 180, halo on the starting side.

I did try that matrix variant with somebody else (WHO SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS) at lunchtime, it's quite disconcerting to have to get your head out of the way so quickly. Sounds like a laugh thou, and mixing that with the horizontal jesus should be fun.

Did manage one handed pivots. Were depressingly (or estactically) easy.

Thanks to (NAMELESS)'s presence also found a weird angel variant on the front side that does a throatwrap in the middle instead of a halo. Might have to try it on the back too.

I would love to think about staff in terms of the circles and feelings it's making on my body, but instead I think of transitions...

329 posts

Posted:
Thankyou for the clarification. The name kinda makes more sense now. smile

With that angel variation you could try a half-fishtail at the shoulder, straight after the throatwrap. Back into a throatwrap, then finish the angel roll down the arm it started on.

One handed pivots?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
nah, I don't like non-symetrical moves (DAMN YOU DREW!) But I'll give it a go. You mean like doing a bit of a lucero, or turning?

pivot... more time is required to explain...

329 posts

Posted:
Yep thats right, just don't like the name lucero (sorry). To make it symmetrical...

First half of angel roll > lucero > throatwrap > lucero > throatwrap > second half of angel roll. Feels really nice when it goes smoothly, which it rarely does. redface

I'm really getting into interrupting and breaking the "normal" flow of movements at the moment. It's sort of why I don't like naming moves, giving something a name suggests a sort of finality to me. If I don't consider it finished there's always something more to be added.

I appreciate that others work differently however, and that teaching staff does require a language or at least needs breaking up into learnable chunks.

That pivot sounds all exciting and mysterious now, is it some sort of onearmed, upsidedown, breakdancing swivel?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
ah! I made a video of the pivot, in the base contact movements thread... go watch! Otherwise I will be forced to explain!

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Chronofracture

I'm really getting into interrupting and breaking the "normal" flow of movements at the moment. It's sort of why I don't like naming moves, giving something a name suggests a sort of finality to me. If I don't consider it finished there's always something more to be added.

i really like that outlook - so very true smile

no really excitingly new stuff learnt here - got a nice "layout" is it called - type weave though smile

*wrist, elbow, wrist turn, swap arm, wrist elbow, wrist turn, swap arm*

type thingy ubblol

Id also agree on the definition of a jesus being a fronside halo and a back side halo together.........

so can that be done with long doubles? or are anti gravity devices required?

biggrin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
there must be a reverse layout? Coming inwards instead of outwards... ahhh juggling after wrok...

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
i think there is meg - i was doing that weaving thing above in both directions.........

feels way smoother forward as doing it reverse needs an elbow fishtail - or half of one anyohow........

i think.

Dam why are you juggling woman!!

*wags finger*

wink

329 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

ah! I made a video of the pivot, in the base contact movements thread... go watch! Otherwise I will be forced to explain!

Couldn't find a new video in that thread, so I'm assuming your refering to the old video THE PIVOT?

If so is a one handed pivot...

1) Up one arm then back down the same arm (after a turn).

2) Closer to the move in the video, up one arm, across the shoulders, then transfered straight to the starting hand instead of travelling down the opposing arm.

confused

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
By juggling I mean spinnng. Thou this evening I'm making a crazy new video with ninja steve. ubbloco

I don't mean a layout while spinning in reverse, I mean reversing what's happening in a layout. So the staff starts in fishtail, angels a bit up the arm and then does an elbow wrap... hmmmmm, seems possible in my brain.

329 posts

Posted:
Wow! Never thought of a reverse layout.beerchug

Just being trying it out and it's easier than the normal version. Plus you can go reverse layout > conveyor belt > layout. bounce2

Still can't do cutbacks though.ubbcrying

Also...

You know the full steve has four quarters, linked with neck/throat wraps. You can link just the first and third quarters together.

Starting at left hand, staff spinning clockwise. Perform first quarter of steve and when the staff has reaches the left shoulder, roll it onto your right hand. Perform the third quarter of the steve, and when the staff reaches your right shoulder, roll it onto your left hand. Loop.

You can link the second and fourth quarters of the steve in a similar but trickier fashion.

The easiest version of this would be linking flat hand to shoulder rolls (or shoulder to hand). It's possible to isolate the staff so it just spins on its long axis. Try doing this as a burnoff, starting slow and building up speed. devil

Off to practice cutbacks...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Nice! Can't wait to try that tonight...

Which brings to mind the possibility that a reverse reverse layout might be possible...

I can do easy half cutbacks but not full elbow fishtails... frown

I'm going to try this steve shenanigan tonight as well... I might have to make a list soon...

329 posts

Posted:
Reverse reverse layout! Total geek-out! biggrin

So thats a reverse layout > elbow half-fishtail > layout?

Hmm, this might be slightly trickier...

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Chronofracture

You know the full steve has four quarters, linked with neck/throat wraps. You can link just the first and third quarters together.

Starting at left hand, staff spinning clockwise. Perform first quarter of steve and when the staff has reaches the left shoulder, roll it onto your right hand. Perform the third quarter of the steve, and when the staff reaches your right shoulder, roll it onto your left hand. Loop.

You can link the second and fourth quarters of the steve in a similar but trickier fashion.

The easiest version of this would be linking flat hand to shoulder rolls (or shoulder to hand). It's possible to isolate the staff so it just spins on its long axis. Try doing this as a burnoff, starting slow and building up speed. devil

Any chance of a video of this, as I can't get my head round what you mean... *feels silly*

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yes, i would also like to know what in the world you guys are on about...

meg, how about a complilation vid of weird experimental stuff... say.. like the last four pages of this thread wink

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
ask me next week, no 'puter this weekend... frown

(from isolated half steve's onward then? I'm using big pages, cos i'm a big girl.)

Page: ......