not _Y_
720 posts

Posted:
 Written by: poje

Written by: why

Yay for PLaY...

360 Halo

managed (messy) full steves for 1st time too

Arnt 360 halos effin fun i recently learned those and i LOVE doing em.

yes, but I can't play...

shoulder still dodgy (injury on Sat of PLaY) AND someone else has my sticks eek frown

and tongue for Mynci

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
 Written by: McAlpine

I just learned the 'falling over on wet grass face first into the mud' trick!! biggrin

I learned that one three years ago in an incredible Michael Jackson move that quickly became the stuff of "This one time...at band camp" legend.

I got under-the-leg catches last night off of left-handed tosses! Freakin miracle!

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Once I pick a staff in vertical position between

hands like prayer, turning around.

Enjoy the rest of holidayz.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
*Cries* I just learned that prayer tosses are impossible on staff. They're just so friggin cool! ubbcrying mad2 ubbcrying

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

Intalamember
86 posts

Posted:
what are prayer tosses and why are they impossible on staff?

Practise Harry, practise

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
A prayer toss is a form of toss where you hold it at the thirds horizontal and then you go to toss it, sliding one hand to meet the other. On the release you wind up with your hands above your head in a prayer position...hence the name.

The wick means you either have to release early or it goes waaaay off course, and releasing early dosn't look nearly as cool cause it stays too low and totally misses the point of the toss...a high super slow half-rotation that is nearly vertical if done right.

Proudly MCRmy

Intalamember
86 posts

Posted:
Ok, is there a vid of it somewhere, because I don't get it.

Practise Harry, practise

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
Narp...It's a colour guard toss, so you're not gonna find a vid of it here. *Goes fishing for video on guard web site* I can't embed it here cause it's stupid, but here's the URL.

https://www.legacybands.org/performance/WinterGuard/2004DeadorAlive.html

Hokay so...in the beginning when the flags come out and do all the background work while the rifles are doing all their stuff downstage, watch closely. This is in the first verse part. When the song says, "It's all the same, only the names will change/ every day it seems we're wasting away." On the word "away" the flags do a version of the toss that's back-handed and over-rotated.

Then if you sit for a bit and watch the sidelines for the people getting rifles, you will see the official, normal version of a prayer toss. They'll all move into a line running down the stage left chunk of the floor. As they start to go across the floor, you'll notice them raise their guns, bring them back down, and then when they bring them up again they'll release the toss in a prayer position. That is a prayer toss.

Proudly MCRmy

Intalamember
86 posts

Posted:
I don't get it, I'm sorry. I can't isolate the move you're talking about and I can't see what's happening properly as the vid focusses on the group performance as a whole. Awesome performance it is, but I'll go research it some more. Thanks for the trouble.

Practise Harry, practise

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
no i couldnt see the prayer toss your on about, jus cos they toss it whilst holding on with both hands doesnt make it a toss from prayer postion

if you want to work out what it is, jus look for any videos of prayer moves, prob be easiest to understand it from a prayer fishtail

think if you were doing a normal fishtail how u can toss from that back into a fishtail, same method for prayer

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
ooh ooh new move, yay biggrin

Playing with Ninja Dave yesterday we came up with a new doubles contact move, inside butterfly conveyor belt (as in inside butterfly, not inside planes). After you've placed the staff doing the conveyor in, you need to get the other staff behind you pretty quick to get out. Also thought of a couple of (still theoretical) variations, after you've placed into the conveyor you sould be able to fishtail that staff while spinning 1 beats with the other in the other direction, yay 1 handed butterfly fishtails (almost).

The other one to make it a full conveyor involves throwing the staff in your hand to the other hand at the same time as you place the staff doing the conveyor from hand to hand. Because its in butterfly, the throw is really hard to get the timing right.

"Don't do it naked!"

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
sounds nice dude... can't wait to see that biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Its been a good week for moves, probably cos of the sunshine biggrin

Extending turning halos into horizontal angel rolls and minimum steves (neck side) with 1 beat direction changes at the elbow.
You min steve to the elbow, 1 beat direction change back to H. angel and turn 1/3 circle (like a 360 halo) then 1 beat direction change back to min steve at the other elbow and turn. Repeat.

Managed 1 full revolution so far but they should be continuous.

"Don't do it naked!"

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
clap

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
To start turn with cutback from palmspin, rather directly form the forearm.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I've been dabbling with some inside steave stuff. Let the staff walk down my wrist then forearm then upper arm then start over. also that same inside steve thing but after upper arm bring it over to a neck wrap where i can do back spin or back up the oppisite arm. let me know if that makes sence biggrin

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Mag's "Limbo" and can get going straight round the neck onto the back in one fluid rotation.
Im very happy with myself and it looks sick! :-D

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
So i just got back from a weekend in Oakland, CA. Hanging out with Greg, Noel, Elias, and the rest of the spinagogue crew.

I learned:

Reverse Fishtails
Full Steve
All sorts of rotors/cleaned up rotors
my continuous halos are much cleaner
conveyer to halo continuous with multiple variations
and a crap ton of variations.

Well worth it and highly reccomended. Those guys are teh cool.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Poje

Those guys are teh cool.

+1

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
finally... right to left angel roll (needs tidying)
and some other halo-y stuff which involves turning lots

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Mostly FeiCha stuff - like the forearm pop/roll to minimal beat steve to continuous angel rolls (most I've achieved is about 7 angel rolls in a row)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
it's all been about the doubles recently... pick up the contact staff every now and then, but it's just not doing for me as much as making pretty patterns with the doubles...

mostly playing with flowers... forwards, backwards, one forward/one backward... front plane (thanks yuta - yes, I know he's poi, but some of the stuff he was teaching at 2uberoz has translated very nicely to doubles)... trying to become familiar enough with moving in any direction, that it all becomes 2nd-nature, so's I can concentrate more on the movement, than the spinning...

still have a lil play with antispin stuff, some, but it's not quite working out as well for me...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Lau_Shadow_BoxerSILVER Member
~ Cup Cakes and Faerie Lights ~
110 posts
Location: Portsmouth, Uk / Kowloon, Hong Kong / Auckland, Ne...

Posted:
conveyor belt - through halo - conveyor belt *dances*

"They say it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile; thus smiling is for pansies" - The Short Gorilla

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Ace Rimmer

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I gave up and came back to it months and months later...

And now I can do fishtails!!!

Woohoooooooo

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
woot woot, isn't it cool how that works?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
hmmm... ok, that's now my new pedagogic technique for learning fishtails, too... I give up...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I taught Mr Majestik fishtails yesterday. He got them in less than two minutes...

B*stard... Either that or I'm a good teacher!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
at waveform sandy was teaching someone fishtails and he pretty much had them in 20/30mins,damn annoying

i been liking frontside vertical steve to jesus

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
For me

Dual parallel Isolated fishtails (buzzsaw plane) complete with propellers on both hands

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
looks like you been having too much time out in the sunny climes to practise :P

that move sounds really nice

Page: ...