BTB Fishtailes.

:],

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i've almost got left handed fishtails dwon well enuff so soon i will be tryig doubles fishies in parallel.

i'm now getting the anti'spin weave pretty clean and getting some cool isolations

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

ChumpyBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
I'm normally right-handed but learned alot of my contact moves with my left hand. Which makes it really goddam hard to learn/teach from/to people. But perservirance, handwork, cuppa tea and a smoke, anything is possible. The matrix is bothering the hell out of me....but did manage to get some uber-turns going. I can sense new tricks brewing...

Need to go to bed
bye

Health is a secondary consideration when you have a lifestyle to maintain

Not seen a Banana do Double staff in the woods? You obviously weren't at that party!

'my guess would be staffers dont waste time talking bollox' - strugz

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
think I got continuous halos/snes (I'm crap with names) last night but only on one side at the moment. will start practicing the other way next chance I get. (would explain it but I haven't got a clue where to start as most of it happens behind the back of my head ubblol)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
got jesus's earlier today and got snes's and i'm working on some rhd inspired throws with dobles (not getting very far though)

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
realised that with sticks you can switch from antispin 3beat to staff isolation 3beat at any point by reversing the rotation around either centre. Which i find quite exciting.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Sphearmember
60 posts

Posted:
What's an anti spin?

Everything meets in the center...

3,149 posts

Posted:
basically:

Spinning the staff clockwise, while moving the hand that's spinning the staff in an anticlockwise circle (or vice versa)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
The easiet example would be if you did a palm spin and then turned your body in the opposite direction.

The harder examples are what simian is doing So your arms appear to be moving in one direction and the staffs turn the opposite way.

Love is the law.

3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

The easiet example would be if you did a palm spin and then turned your body in the opposite direction.

i'd wouldsay that isn't antispin unless your palmspin is moving in a horizontal circle in the same direction as your body (opposite to the staff).

but then pretty much everyone who does contact staff would disagree with me, and i'd need to go get some poi geeks for backup and it could all turn ugly...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
you mean off center? wouldnt that be an isolated antispin palm spin?

Love is the law.

3,149 posts

Posted:
?

ok, getting confused.

my antispin = one thing rotating around its centre AND rotating in the opposite direction around a second centre of rotation

your antispin = two things rotating in different directions with the same centre of rotation

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i've always understood as being when the part of your body thats in contact with the the staff is moving in the opposite direction to the staff.

When i saw your antispin weave i thought of it as an isolation also because you were spinning off centre.

??

Love is the law.

3,149 posts

Posted:
yes, i'm using the poi definition of antispin. It's not "isolated" as such. And the only bit of me in contact with the sticks (my hands) are rotating in the same direction as the sticks.

You're using the (rubbish tongue ) contact staff definition that i complained about when it was coined because of the confusion it would cause. ubbangel

EDIT after looking back in time:

i lie! i didn't actually complain about it. i just got angry, then assumed that i'd complained already...

confused2
EDITED_BY: simian (1127489024)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
silly sticks tongue

turning against the spin is indeed a dodgy use of the antispin term i reckon...

although the two have similarities (the main one being a reduction of the time-taken-per-revolution of the object relative to the spinner) they have many more differences - using the same term to describe both is confusing i think.

translate the palmspin example to a vertical plane and you'll see where it would get really ambiguous.
simply turning against the spin doesn't have the same characteristics of any of the other antispin techniques/patterns.

but what do i know about twigs... wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

truespinnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
smile
Just taught myself (well, with the aid of Meg's video...) a forwards fishtail - very chuffed!
Within two weeks of getting my first proper staff too!
Now to try backwards and with the left hand...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
yay for my matrix!!!!!

although i've seen multiple variations, so what i do may not be right, whatever........

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
yay!!! consecutive jesus's (note strugz NOT continuous ubblol)

and many shiney conveyer variants, elbow shuffles and pops.
(god and too many others to remember) ta strugz and meg for great tutorials last night wave biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
thought id see you in here this morning wink

doubles jesus, doubles butterfly contact arm crossy thingy, parralell doudbles halo and how to drop properly........

oh and "gay" contact halo jumping - thanks meg wink

ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
strugz.... you forgot staff castration. wink spank ubbcrying

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
mmmm new thing that is pretty hard and bloody confusing:
parrallel backwards fishtails, in to right hand staff does angel roll, left hand staff is passed infront, to the right hand to fishtail, and then repeat.
and melt your head trying to get it to work propperly grrrr

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Trying ti work on confusatrons.

Sayinh hadoken whilst doing it makes life easier wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
trying to anti-turn a jesus at the mo...grrrr bloomin untidy and confusing to boot. it keeps coming under my damn arm onto my chest...grrrrr

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
so you mean you turn the same way as the stick does, so its slowed down, rather than turning the opposite way you do for a normal jesus.
so technically jesus is anti turn in its being, static is hard very hard, if indeed not possable and anti anti, ie same direction body turn, would look slow and very cool, especially if its nice and smooth

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Harry_PotterToadStool Circus Acts
181 posts

Posted:
I just learnt how to 'Pass hand to hand behind the back at hip level'
I'm so poud of myself. lol. Yeh ive only just started spinning staffs and after about 30 minutes of smacking myself in the face with a really heavy bo staff which i cut down to 150cm i can finally pass behind the back. Dont i just sound like a little newbie.

Oh and to top that all off my new yoyo which i got today smacked me in the face too and drew blood. Im starting to think im not very good at all this.

Yo-yoist, Staffer and 3 Ball and Club Juggling
'Its people like us, who make them feel talentless.'

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
It's far from smooth at the moment..I'm still finding the exact moment I need to turn to keep the stick balanced and moving smoothly....It's all meg and strugz's fault for showing me anti-turn it feels so nice turning the opposite way to what your used to when you do a move and still pulling it off....ideal for newbies...now we don't say they did it worng coz they turned the wrong way, they just attempted the anti-turn version ubblol

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i'm pretty sure first time i was trying to do jesus's i was doing anti turn lol

tho now i can do a doubles jesus, and some other cool stick on stick doubles contact and a bit of under the arm 2 staff juggling

also i learnt in games today i can fishtail squash rackets, very similar to doing juggling clubs

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I can fishtail squash raquets!

And snooker queues.

Though snooker queues are well hard cos of the undistributed weight difference...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
yeah things with a eight difference are always fun, some juggling clubs are really hard, though most fishtailing is finding the point of balance, also i find fishtailing harder things makes it so when you do it with staff you are really good

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
360 Antispin half steve smile

I've found spinning the opposite way of the stick while trying to do spins on the back of the neck is a really good way of showing how badly my posture is affecting just about everything.

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
kick ass!

You get that without the spin on the back of the neck?

I don't know about anti-TURN half steves, it doesn't seem to have that same anti feeling as other anti moves...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Page: ......