Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Fishtails....

Finally...

*phew*

biggrin

Should be posting back in here in another 3 months...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
well done dude - but you dont need a hunchback - its all about twisting at the hips wink

ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Finally decided I should learn double fishtails. So I did. biggrin So much potential with this technique, best of all you should be able to lucero one staff whilst fishtailing another two.

ubblove

Also learning various doubles steves, matrixes, pivots and so on.

Learning doubles contact in general I've found that looking (or more accurately focusing my attention) at one staff is a bad idea. Since in effect I remove my attention from the other staff and lose control of it. Best to not focus anywhere and instead be aware of everything. For some useful writings on this subject, and practice in general:

The Book of Five Rings- Miyamoto Musashi

The Life-Giving Sword- Yagyu Munenori

The Unfettered Mind- Takuan Soho

And for an excellent introduction to Zen:

Zen in the Art of Archery- Eugen Herrigel

May not be to every ones taste, but I find the more I practice the more these books make sense.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Jesus Roll - for shizzle [snaps his fingers]

Working on Double Fishtails, get em ready for Fal6!!!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

329 posts

Posted:
Full steve matrix- Different from the one on Inspinerate.

Starting from right hand:

1st quarter steve - right shoulder propeller - neck wrap - left shoulder propeller - 2nd quarter steve - 3rd quarter steve - left shoulder propeller - throat wrap - right shoulder propeller - 4th quarter steve.

Also quite enjoying:

1st quarter steve - right shoulder propeller - neck wrap - left shoulder propeller - 2nd quarter steve - prayer transfer.

biggrin

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mmm. nice.

i like negative space too much. eurgh.

ubblove

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DavidJNolanPrecision instrument of speed and aromatics
240 posts

Posted:
You look very silly doing negative space with staff
... I like it tho biggrin

Not a spinner!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
worked out a new one on the train today. hmmm. its a half steve returning into a negative space made by hand on hip: so you have to start matrixing early and get it through. i tried it as soon as i arrived here and got it one in 4. i'm sure it looks crap but its fun trying....

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

329 posts

Posted:
Negative space's a really cool idea mate keep it up.

I've just been playing with two staffs, trying to contact one staff through the gap between my arms made when holding the other staff in two hands.

Hard, looks crap, too much fun!

biggrin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I learnt how to survive alkaline gypsum dust.

It was very hard.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Inside carrying with Fishtails.

You know, like the outside one, 360. But inside like.

When in reverse fistail, add an extran beat on the frontside and as you drop your hand, turn wit it.

Voila.

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
horizontal angel roll...... you know the one with the extra beat on the shoulders........ still cant do it vertical properly though - my exit arm is rubbish.......... rolleyes

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

329 posts

Posted:
Oooh, we'll have to compare notes at the weekend. I think I know the vertical version of this move, not sure It'll be yours as there are quite a few ways to put in extra beats. Most of which I can't do deliberately...

Went out for a long spin yesterday, and discovered that you can do a half fishtail, on the underside of your wrist.

Finally got anti-spin fishtails too and just generally loving the idea of antispin contact.

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

i like negative space too much. eurgh.

There's a negative space with staff? when did that happen?

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
got conveyer belt to halo to a dodgy steve and with fire, wehey.

i'd rather learn to fishtail out of this tho but i'm crap. also trying to get this going the other way at the moment but the turn into the halo confuses me, i can only turn one way!

and my steves dodgy cos i've only really learnt them anti clockwise, again i need to perfect the other direction.

any tips on contolling the staff on the foot? i have to quickly throw it into my hand but i'd like to pass it to the other foot and then roll it back up the other side of my body (lean back!)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
leeds 2: church of staff

My previous posts have been somewhat concise in terms of new moves. So I thought I would change all that up and provide descriptions this time.

Learned:

The doubles bfly btb halo thing.

Markus does this in Uber Unwrapped (lab 04). Both staffs going down btb toward your legs in sametime bfly. One goes under the other arm to do a btb entrance to a halo roll, the other is passed low BTB to the other hand. Then you catch the halo'd staff btb. Look swanky because for a moment that staffs are in line vertically and probably for other reasons, but that's the one I like.
I had previously tried this in parallel with the passed staff going behind the head, but that was staff + head + other staff bashy.

Lots of fishtail stuff better.
The three beat isolated fishtail: dual fishtails in front of you, flip one only and you'll have to invert the other fishtail and go into three beat fishtails. Fun fun fun. Perhaps without the flip and being very good, you could do four beats.
also: parallel turns. (pretty easy) and sametime bfly fishies into atomic. (not sure if it works yet.)

Jed's double thing almost.
Bit of history first: T&B did lots of this stuff at like falmouth 4 - 5. His was to steve with the other staff in the ending hand, grab it with both hands and when the steve finished, turn the short end into it's path, turn the staff in your hands and the steve would continue across it, (possibly throw it at this point) and then let it rotate alround the other end of the held staff before rolling back into the start of another steve. (He also had other variations.)
Bluecat came back from the godforsaken neatherlands at some point (kiwi land or aussie land) and said lots of aussies / kiwis were into this sort of contact, as well as have the second staff inside the space create by holding the first staff with both hands. (You can have some good vertical contact fun in this mode, or utilise inside horizontally if your staffs are short enough and your arms long enough by moving the staff in and out of the negative space created.)
Then meast did a lot of that stuff also, with some funky stops using the horizontal plane and the short end of the held staff, as well as doing horizontal pivots with it.
But onto jed's fucky assed variation which somehow utilised the vertical pivot into a neck wrap back into a trap. It was plenty sweet. Got it a little in leeds, but not enough to explain properly.

meast matrix with staff in hands.
Many stupid things with the second staff doing mostly nothing and held in both hands. So you can do the 'meast' or hula matrix with the staff held in your hands above your head. Or you can do a prayer matrix with the staff held just under your head and have the matrixing staff contact over it. and so on.

single:

matrix variations:

Substitution matrix without the turn.
This is the name I like. Some people call it the anti-spin matrix, I'm going to call the real anti-spin matrix the anti-spin matrix.
Basically instead of doing a neck wrap / throat wrap as you move the staff between the horizontal propellors of the matrix, you substitute a horizontal halo roll / chest halo for them. This is almost doable when turning (spin wise) and a good bit harder without the turning. Without the turning looks weird though, so it's for the win.

anti-turn matrix footwork.
t&bs carefully prepared backside step is what allows him to anti-turn the matrix in just one matrix. It takes me two. So I think I will learn the step.

the anti-spin matrix.
Clearly possible. Should be as difficult as the matrix used to be, so clearly worth it.

shoulders matrix.
A silly matrix combo. Do one side of the matrix, it will wrap the neck in some fashion, instead of going into the other side of the matrix, go into the other side of the neck wrap (full neck wrap style) then back into the same side matrix. So the staff effectively orbits your shoulder then you head then back to the same shoulder.

full neck wrap matrix.
Like the above, Sandy's original move. Where you put a full neck wrap into the middle of the matrix.

take out matrix.
not quite sure where it's going yet, but fun none-the-less. Sandies idea to take the staff out of the matrix using the back of the hand just as it's rotated around the armpit and is coming back on to the shoulder. Not quite sure how the btb takeout occurs yet...

shoulder slide matrix.
A [censored] offspring variant matrix. The staff misses a shoulder at the end of each half of the matrix. To be symmetrical it's the other shoulder for each half. The opposite of this where you miss a shoulder before going into the matrix is for a me a fair bit harder.

caged style matrix.
matrix into the low caged part of a caged steve and once it's round to the other shoulder, go back into the matrix. (breaking the cage.)

full steve matrix.
Some of the transitions are a little tricky but mostly it's what's said on the tin.

back the other way matrix, both sides + connections.
What I want now: wrong way half matrix, stop on the shoulder, back the 'normal' way full matrix, stop on shoulder, wrong way back around the other shoulder. Hmmmmmm. Well that and doing the origami matrix and stopping it between the elbows while leaning over and doing the above with that stop, instead of the shoulder stop.

matrix to chest spin.
One half of the matrix to a chest spin. If you were bendy you could probably do the other half also to a chest spin. (kinda like the substituion matrix.)

3221 matrix.
3 beat (normal) matrix, then two beats (one side andre) then another 2 beat matrix, the other side andre'd then a one beat matrix. (both sides andre.) (I think this is what chronos meant.)

limbo matrix steve. (or something)
You come out of a matrix under your armpit and lean hella back to the staff does a steve entirely on the underside of your arm, then does something and comes back down to the underside of your arm and back into the matrix. Theoretical only still.

multiple chest spins. shimmy.
Like meast, but using a shoulder shimmy to add momentum to the staff and keep it going indefinately.

arms down jesus.
Thanks mincy.

caged jesus.
Like a caged lucero but a jesus, cos the arms don't get in the way hardly at all on the frontside, they mostly get in the way when doing the halo on the back.

cont minimal beat steve with arms as a track.
I've wanted to be able to do this since chronos said about the minimal beat steve, but t&b busted it out in leeds. [censored]. When I say track, I mean one hand on top of the other, like you were going to go to sleep on your hands. (you can also do a normal steve like this.)

At this point, I have to go home from work. (what work?!) and er... go practise. Result!

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Jesus Meg that was a lot of reading lol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

329 posts

Posted:
Apologies if this ones been mentioned already...

No propeller steve/angel transfer (horizontal & Vertical)- When the roll reaches the hand do a retarded fishtail (throw for half a rotation), the roll of the staff will have been reversed which will naturally take it back down your arm for the steve or angel roll.

Whereas a propeller would kill the roll of the staff.

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
im really new to contact, but - Snes, jesus and angel rolls.
Thanks to flame boy the cakemonster for the snes,
now working on the flame boy combo :aviatorssmile:

smile

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Chrono333

Whereas a propeller would kill the roll of the staff.

Tsk tsk tsk, not necessarily true. I can't do elbow pops (basically a propellor movement, just on elbows) with a bent stick. You'd be suprised how fast it actually rolls.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

329 posts

Posted:
But I can do propellers with a bent stick. Elbow pops are a throw and a different move.

meditate

A propeller can be performed mainly as a throw, contact only at the bottom of the motion and done with a "drag" to maintain and even increase roll.

Maybe it's just me, but I find this isn't the way I or others generally perform propellers. Instead the rolling momentum is killed and has to be initiated again by pushing the arm through the motion.

Either way, when performing a propeller your wrist stays on the same side of the staff meaning that even if you did maintain roll through the move it would still have to be stopped and reversed (or thrown) in order to roll back down the same arm.

So thankyou, I was guilty of oversimplifying.

hug

Propellers TEND to kill the roll of the staff, and to perform an angel/steve out of one any existing roll has to be reversed.

Any better?

329 posts

Posted:
And since Meg told me off, I'm posting these in here as well...

One armed angel rolls/steves- Perform roll to the shoulder turn 180deg and continue roll back down the same arm. One direction is easier than the other. Trying to get these horizontal at the moment.

Elbow Pop angel roll/steve- When the staff reaches the inside of your elbow, pop it across head/chest/back to the opposite elbow.

Also on an angel roll tip....

Got an angel roll from hand to opposing ankle a few times today. Nothing like controlled yet but the most obvious exit seems to be swing it forward into reverse foot fishtails/kickup.

Acting under instruction from the good fairy Sparklejess this move will henceforth be refered to as the Superman.

ubbrollsmile

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Oops, I forgot, right, when you refer to a propellor you're reffering to this pansy fishtail variation. Try a propellor using the WHOLE arm. Hurts like hell, but damn that stick rolls fast!

329 posts

Posted:
Now you've lost me.

A propeller to me is a full rotation of the staff with contact maintained (more or less) on one side of the staff. Bugger all like a fishtail.

I think Meghan may have passed on a Fei-cha move of yours where the hand to forearm is used and the roll of the staff is maintained throughout the motion. Essentially a half throw at fingers and forearm. Which I like a lot because I love to keep the staff rolling and it's quite hard.

I think I understand the move, are you saying it's possible hand to shoulder?

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
steve-wrist fishtail-angel roll-demon roll-angel roll: 80 percent clean

damn you meg and your time wasting contact staff disease mad

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Matrix for the first time, completed.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: arashi

damn you meg and your time wasting contact staff disease mad

you love it! you want to go on dates with it! ubbangel

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
thanks to Nate/Osakini and mcp's vids I can just about do pivots, and angel rolls smile

thanks to durbs and mcp's vids I can keep reverse fishtails going for a bit.

thanks to mcp's vids I can do SNES's

spotting a theme yet? biggrin

lovely repertoire to add to pinwheels (&horizontal), fingerspins, figures of 8 and other basics thanks to Magic Monkey and Jet Li wink

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Antti learned how to build a campfire today. He wanted you guys to know that.

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
I learned how to hit myself in the jaw really hard.

Page: ......