Forums > Social Discussion > A Magician never tells his/her secrets

Login/Join to Participate

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Do we have any Magicians here?
I am interested in learning a few basic magic tricks but I am having enormous difficulty in finding someone to teach me the tricks. The funny thing is that I know LOADS of magicians... it's just that they REFUSE to let on about how they do it!!!! it's infuriating!
Is there anyone willing to spill the beans on how you make a hanky disappear?
Otherwise any magicians that want to torment me some more.. here's the place to do it!! grrrrr grumble squeek grrrr arg.....

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Theres a magic place accross the road (down the esclators) from david jones (elizabeth st sydney) Quite often they use to (i don't know if they still do ) offer classes .

I learn't the french drop there . biggrin

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
ooh might check it out next time I am in/near sydney : )

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Check your PMs! tongue

Bretchenthusiast
247 posts

Posted:
The dissapearing hankie is an oldie I used to do in my magician days.... *gonna do a Penn & Teller now* the trick I had used a fake thumb. Real easy. But if you really wonna impress people, learn card tricks... they fasinnate nearly everyone. I still keep meaning to start but sooo busy ya know.... umm

I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure now.....

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
weasle showed me the fake thumb thing when i was in the uk and i couldnt for the life of me see it but then after he showed it to me when i saw another performer doing it the fake thumb was so obvious even from a distance. u just need to learn the secret handshake then they will teach you wink

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
A good magician will know at least two or three other ways of achieving the same sleight! tongue Then there's the patter and presentation. Just 'cause some kid buys a magic set, it doesn't make them a magician!
Cheers!

P.S. I hate card tricks! Again, they seem to be what every kid tries and badly fails at! tongue

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

In the UK local libraries will generally have some decent books on magic.

Another good place to learn stuff is a magic shop- they'll sell tricks and,if they're good they'll be someone there to demonstrate and give tips about performing them.

Magicians are understandably cagey, unlike spinning/juggling, if the knowledge of how the tricks work is known, it does ruin the effect.

Nevertheless, there are supportive communities of magicians (including online), and, if you show sincerity and make an effort, you will be welcomed.

Part of that is to understand why they don't like info being disseminated to the general public, and co-operating with it.

So I guess Bretch-

Written by: Bretch

The dissapearing hankie is an oldie I used to do in my magician days.... *gonna do a Penn & Teller now* the trick I had used a fake thumb. Real easy.

has just blown it smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I knew a magic shop website... but it disappeared... ubblol

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
hehe cool! thanks guys! you have no idea how much that has been annoying me... I will check out card tricks and stuff too, do you guys have a favourite trick?