Forums > Social Discussion > Poll: Fire artist or Spinner.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Poll: Fire artist or Spinner.

I've been wondering about the relative proportions of those who are into this mainly for the fire, and those who are primarily into the pure skill/flow aspects of unlit spinning?

Obviously many of you are into it for both, but, even there it should be possible to state a preference, for examples-

*you only spin unlit so you can get some moves down for the next fire session, and, if it became impossible to do fire you'd probably not spin anymore- would be 100/0 fire/non-fire

*you only occasioanly do fire (maybe the odd paid gig) as you consider fuel to be too toxic/dirty to use on a regular basis, almost all your spinning is unlit, and, if fire became impossible, it wouldn't affect your spinning at all- 0/100 fire/non-fire

*you like fire and non-fire spinning equally- a 50/50 fire/non-fire (although you may want to state greater accuracy eg 70/30 fire/non-fire)

I think it would also be interesting if, as well as stating a ratio, you say how long you've been spinning for (I have a theory that a lot of us start spinning through a desire to do fire, then get more interested in the pure spinning side).

Lastly, for clarity it would be good if we all stick to the convention of the first value of the ratio being fire, and the second non-fire (as in the examples above), otherwise it's going to get confusing.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
35/65 Fire/Non-fire.

I love spinning for flow and style, and I love burning moves once I've learnt them. I spin fire far less than I just spin, simply because it's not very practical for me to do so. Plus I like to "keep it special", which it is to me. It's still something of a novelty, despite having done probably 100 burns, having spread them over the course of about 6 months they're still something I do to take me out of my everyday, as opposed to something that I consider everyday.

Unlike spinning unlit, which I do every day to keep up my flow and get a lot of pleasure out of.

That was very badly written, but you get the general idea.

Been spinning for about a year now.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i love spinning fire but when it comes down too it pretty much too lazy. when people make me go out, carrying all the gear when it's cold and dark, i have a great time, but mostly i spin without and that's made me get n to things you can do with fire and one things lead to another really.

i'm about 20/80 i think - been spinning for 5 yers.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
10/90 fire/non-fire for me. I do enjoy spinning fire but i have to be in the right mood.

Trouble with fire is, unless you want to end up with scars and singed hairs and big black soot marks everywhere, it is very restrictive and wraps without any kind of arm or hand protection aren't very fun. Though when i figure out how to put the new handles on my chains, throws will be made a lot easier so ill probably enjoy it more.

I much prefer spinning glo stuff, a pair of aerotechs in white socks are my nighttime poi of choice biggrin

I've been spinning for about a year and a half.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
pfft! what's wrong with scars!?

tongue

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
or why don't you just wear long sleeves &pants?

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Bird

pfft! what's wrong with scars!?

tongue

Written by: fNi

or why don't you just wear long sleeves

I'm afraid you've stumbled into the wrong thread smile

This is a poll on fire/non-fire, you seem to be looking for a discussion of scars/preventing scars thread; such as this: -

[Old link]

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
having never spun fire, i'd say i am 0/100.
but when the opportunity arises, i'll definitely spin fire.
why?
because its different to spinning without fire.
i dont have a burning desire to spin fire (intended pun (groan)), but perhaps that'll change once i lite up (my poi, not me).
i got into poi because of how beautiful it looks and how its an art-form.
so label me artist or whatever.
i do it for self-expression and self-satisfaction. and its cool to have people walk past and think "wow"..
and wow about how expensive it is to buy fire poi paraphenalia.
i dont think i'd fire all that often... like, as was stated above, it'd be more special to do fire on certain occasions.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
Written by: Beth

Trouble with fire is, unless you want to end up with scars and singed hairs and big black soot marks everywhere, it is very restrictive and wraps without any kind of arm or hand protection aren't very fun.

'fraid dave, we were just commenting on this little bit

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: fNi

'fraid dave, we were just commenting on this little bit

I know.

It was off-topic, but that happens and it's not a problem. It's not a problem that someone else comments on it. It's not even a problem when someone else comments on that comment.

It's just when suddenly everyone starts discussing this off-topic issue that we suddenly realise the original point of the thread is buried, and that maybe someone should have said something earlier.

Hope you're not offended- none intended.

As a general rule I only object to off-topic stuff if it's in a thread that's made it very clear, by the way it's titled, and by the original post, what it's about (an example being this thread).

Now I'm off-topic as well- feel free to discuss it by creating a new thread with an appropriate title, such as 'onewheeldaves gross hypocrisy on the subject of off-topic posts' wink

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
*goes slightly off topic but will come back, honest*

Im answer to that, i dont like spinning at all in long sleeves, i feel very restricted and cant move as freely as if i'm wearing a vest top or something like that. This is why i dont like spinning fire, i have to feel comfortable to be able to spin well, and by wearing long sleeved stuff or arm/hand protectors, i dont feel very comfortable.

So, back on topic (see, i told you wink ), i'll have to change my answer to 5/95. Not a fan of spinning fire.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

peles_paynimSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
50/50
i spin in clubs so i'm definately into LED/UV toys but give me a few scars and singes anytime....

real eyes
realize
real lies

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i think for the person doing the moves, its all about how fulently you can do them, a chance to better yourself. however to be frank you dont get as much praise when they're not on fire so that is where even more enjoyment comes in. both you doing the right moves and people praising you and saying its cool.

as long as i'm spinning i'm happy, no ratios needed.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning over 3 years now, coming up to 4 this year, and I'd say 5/95. Fire for me is a lot of hassle and a lot of the style of things I do I'd need to spend a lot of time practising with my fire ropes to get down well enough to do them without burning myself - lots of inverted stuff where the poi are very close to my body/face/arms for relatively long periods of time. Plus fire just doesn't have the same rush for me that some seem to get.

"Fire for show, socks for a pro" as PoiPoiPoi once said ubblol

"Moo," said the happy cow.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Interesting....I rarely practise unlit....

I'm probably 55/60.

It really is quite rare when I don't have my staff lit.

I've been fwirling for about 6-7 months. My first practise was lit.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
55/60 doesn't add up to 100% you know wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yes it does.

Oh wait..

No it doesnt.
It adds up to 105% which is 5% less than what I want to see you all giving. biggrin

Im a spinner, right, but I play with fire when I can. However, often, we dont have a parafin so we cant spin.

But when we do, I have a tendancy to make videos.....

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Actually it adds up to 115%...

God I'm such a pedant wink ubblol

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
In which case, I want to see you giving nothing less than that!

( I originally thougt it added up to 110 rolleyes)

Written by: Beth

Trouble with fire is, unless you want to end up with scars and singed hairs and big black soot marks everywhere, it is very restrictive and wraps without any kind of arm or hand protection aren't very fun.

I personally thinks thats rubbish.

I do exactly the same stuff with fire as I do with no firey stuff.

That might just be me throwing caution to the wind.... or maybe its becuase I am *really* confident with fire....

Dunno.

smile

YexBRONZE Member
97 posts

Posted:
50/50 for 6 months its time to practice indoors because of the cold. outdoors for fire for the other 6 because its warm.

"Not all who wander are lost. "

J.R.R. Tolkien

toweryGOLD Member
32 posts

Posted:
Been spinning for about 7-8 months. In practice, I'd say I spin 25/75, but it's a flat 50/50 for me in terms of preference, largely because I do them for different reasons.

I spin fire alone to feel transcendant and magical, because I love the roar as the flames tear around me, because of the seductive interweaving of myself and a primal element. I spin fire with an audience to entertain and impress my friends and family, to display a measure of courage and prowess that, while attainable by many, is pursued by few, and generally beacuse I feel like a badass when people are watching me. And I love the photography/art that goes along with my fire...

I spin with tennis ball heads that I've constructed because of their utilitarian convenience of transport, for their more forgiving nature while I'm learning new moves or practicing transitions, and because I can spin them indoors. I also really enjoy no fire because I can watch myself in mirrors better to clean up planes, can spin much faster because of the lighter heads, and can give people impromptu lessons whenever fancy strikes me. The tennis balls are a lot less imposing for my curious onlookers. Less impressive to be sure, but I'm not trying to impress people with tennis balls...

"To my delight, I discovered that poi are amazing movement exploration tools. They are guides. They are teachers. They are like Yoda, only smaller and on strings." --Nick Woolsey, also known as Meenik

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Lol sorry about the adding guys. Didn't mean it.

45/55

There you go lol

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
damn, i've no idea

I like spinning sock poi, not fire poi. 80/20

Staff is all about fire if im spinning. If its contact i dont really need the fire. yet. 80/20 for spinning v contact

Love is the law.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I'd say my fire/non-fire ratio is probably about 5/95. It's not that I don't enjoy spinning fire, I do. It is a lot of hassle though, particularly in winter when it's raining most of the time anyway. But I just don't feel the need to spin lots of fire. It doesn't make much difference to me what I'm spinning, it's just the fact that I'm spinning that I like the most.

edit - forgot, been spinning for two years now.
EDITED_BY: pricklyleaf (1137882590)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
30/70 fire/non-fire for poi and 10/90 for staff

I practice a hell of a lot with socks and LEDs but spin fire about three times a week when I can so I think of myself as a spinner more than a fire artist. To me anything that makes circles in the air is good and because most of the time I can't actually 'see' the poi I focus more on the movements of my body when spinning socks so I think the performance aspect of it is much better.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
about 95/5 non-fire/fire: spinning now for 5 years.

my yearly ration is something like this..

year 1: 20/80
year 2: 50/50(diiscovered contact and had to practise)
year 3, part 1: 50/50
year 3, part : 100/0 (lung problems from too much fire spinning)
year 4: 98/2 (all my new tricks required non fire, so was bored playing with it)
year 5: 98/2 until recently, when i have had a few spins that have made me love the artistry of fire again

fuel choice definitely makes a difference: i won't spin with kero, and now only infrequently with paraffin, after my sojourn in aus..
*note to self* sort out better fuel in the uk...*

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Started (like many) 0/100 (fire/non-fire)

after first lit it turned into 80/20 for the period of 6 years
after 10 years of spinning, it now turns into 20/80...

As I have no satisfaction in breathing the fumes, I do fire mostly at paid gigs, or occasionally at parties. If LED would have the same sound and intencity - to be honest - it would come to 0/100 (f/nf) again for the reasons of fumigation/ environmental pollution/ contribution to the global greenhouse-effect... shrug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Sticksnewbie
7 posts

Posted:
Fun thread.. I started Poi 4 months ago after making fire devil sticks. They're hard, I found HOP while looking for wick material and thought I'd give it a try.
It was defintely fire that brought me here, and fire is still central to my interest.. However, spinning socks has been the only way to improve quickly, and I find myself more captured by the artform all the time..

Let's say I'm 75/25 now (interest), but plan to retire fire to 10/90 as time goes on.. I'll never stop spinning fire though, you've gotta love that swoosh!

Hmm, isn't it about time??

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I do consider unlit practice to be practice for performing, but that's because at the moment I'm not at a level where I can put on a decent show for a whole burn (only been doing it 6 months). I think sock poi are more for complicated technical moves etc, cause they're more forgiving & you can see the hands and string all the time, whereas fire poi & glow are for a different kind of performance - it's all about the poi heads & the circles and the effects you can make with planes & directions.

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
10/90.
fire is smelly and stainy and goes out and you need to soak up again.
im in it for the fun, not the fire.
(fire is impressive though (just in case you didnt know))

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

Page: