Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
I don't know why I feel the need to post this but I do so please bear with me. Today has been a somewhat taxing day. There was a "total loss" fire at my friends' fraternity very early this morning. The reporter had the facts all screwed up on the radio but as I drove into work, I had to go right past it. It was a very scary sight. They kept reporting that one of the brothers was missing and they wouldn't say who. I had to worry all morning that it was one of my friends. However, late this morning, they confirmed that they found a body and they finally released the name and it is no one that I know. I was relieved that it wasn't one of my friends but I feel aweful that one of their brothers didn't make it out and lost his life to a power that I play with.

For those who pray, please keep Phi Kappa Theta in your hearts and minds. And those family and friends who knew the deceased and so on...

If you are interested, the local paper already has a story on it:
Phi Kap Fire

Thank you for letting me spew out some words and get this off my chest a little.

Cage

Without further guilding the lily and with no more ado, I bid you farewell and sweet dreams...

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
That is very scary and tragic.. I am glad that it was noone you know who was killed... That's why we always must respect fire when we play with it.. And keep it far from the fuel... And protect ourselves and others.... That way we can keep focusing on the positive aspects of controlled fire ..

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I can understand how you feel Cage and some of what you went through not knowing if your friends were ok.

Some time ago there was a gas explosion at my best friend's house and it was totally burned out. I saw it on the news and it said a young man had been taken to hospital with serious burns. At the time I didn't have a phone, or any money to make a call, so I had to walk quite some distance to another friend's house so I could use her phone to find out if my friend (T)was ok. It was the longest walk of my life.

My best friend shared his house with a guy who I didn't know well (S). All the way to my friend's to use the phone I was saying over and over again to myself "Please let it be S". But when I got on the phone to T's Dad he told me that T was in the hospital and he was very poorly. I was horrified that this bad thing had happened to my friend.

Later, I was overwhelmed with guilt that I wished it was S and not T who was burned up in hospital. I have since talked to a counsellor about this and aparrently it was a completely normal reaction and deep down I was not wishing S harm but praying that T was ok.

You are in my thoughts and my heart tonight, Cage, and I am sending you a big (((((Hug))))) and I will say a prayer for the boy who died.

Although it gives us great pleasure to play with fire, this is a stark reminder that it can be very dangerous and we must never under estimate that danger.

Onelove Thistlefirepixie

[ 14 August 2002, 13:53: Message edited by: Thistle ]

Are we nearly there yet?

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
Thats awful. You always think accidents like that will always happen to someone else,never yourself. Its scary when it happens to someone you're close to.
my thoughts are with you and his family.
xxxx xxxx

Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
Thistle, I am very sorry to hear your story but at the same time, somewhat comforted. I was having similiar thoughts yesterday and kept questioning myself for thinking such abominable thoughts.

Thank you all for caring about a stranger so far away. Your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated and warmly accepted by all involved.

~Cage
Thanks for the hugz

Without further guilding the lily and with no more ado, I bid you farewell and sweet dreams...

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
But Cage your not a stranger to us!

Bam

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
I tend to forget that sometimes! Thanks BamBam!

Sheryl Crow sings "I'm a stranger in my own life", sometimes I feel the say way....

Insatiable fire-faerie (Angie)BRONZE Member
150 posts

Posted:
Cage...much luv sent your way and to the people affected by this tragic accident. I cant begin to imagine the pain you must have been feeling at the moment you heard the tragic news.....and yours too thistle, H.O.P is a great place to vent your emotions and share with others things you might not be able to express in 'the outside world' We are all here to give our advice and support be it Fire 'play' related or other.
Although there seems to be a lot of bad things happening at the moment I think we should all stay strong and remember there are a lot of possitive, beautiful experiences to come out of the relationship between oneself and the art of fire poi/staff/breathing etc

Keep smiling

Much luv ....big hugz n happi vibes

Angie x

[ 15 August 2002, 10:32: Message edited by: Angie ]

"You've got red on you!" Shaun of the Dead

pantsonfirethe man with the flaming pants
148 posts

Posted:
sorry to hear about you and your friends loss. I will be praying. Cage continue to be strong and help you friend through this tough time. Your friend is lucky to have a friend like you.

It's all good