Forums > Videos > video critique - hop to nice or skill level to do so just not there?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so one thing ive noticed is that theres loads of videos and very little constructive critisicm, i find trying to get constructive critisicm is alot like pulling teeth using jellybeans !! so im wondering are ppl

a) to polite
b) dont know how to do the moves so cant offer advice
c) cant be bothered to put the time in to analyse a vid and post comments
d) can do the movements but just do them and dont understand how to do them
e) insert other reason here

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
this is a repeat of teh thread ben, let me go see if i can dig up the one org made by durbs

Step (el-nombrie)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
While Mechs searching ill have a go at answering..........

To be honest i think its hard to "critisise"

Maybe they dont want to offend?

Critisism is good, i know what you mean when you say its hard to get - but its also hard to give, i know how long its taken me to nail some moves with and without being critisised. Im not sure if it helps or not.

At the end of the day if your doing a move, well or not, you understand it for doing it in the first place, therefore you must understand how it "should look"

Being critisised on a move in a vid may not really help...........

I admit we all need pointers and tips (confusatron wink) thanks...... i think most people dont give it because they dont want to come across as (i use the term loosley) "a dictator" and i think that many of the comments flow from the one previous - on HOP these are usually uplifting, coaxing and general "well done, nice work" comments...

But personnaly Ben i think you should have used a differant font colour for this topic, and you should have searched for a previous one, and you should have gone to (f) on your list and you should have started with a capital letter - also your spacing is terrible.

Go practice wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
I often find that I don't have anything bad to say about the videos I see, apart from "practice more", which obviously isn't worth saying smile If someone particularly asks for criticism I'll give it if I can, but in the example of Ben's fishtails vid, I can't pick holes in something like that - it looks like voodoo to me biggrin

Criticism is how we improve, but it's not very often I find something I can criticise. Everyone is too damn good. smile

Oh, and a video is usually all the best bits pasted together, so it generally looks pretty awesome anyway.

"Take that, math!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: Strugz

But personnaly Ben i think you should have used a differant font colour for this topic, and you should have searched for a previous one, and you should have gone to (f) on your list and you should have started with a capital letter - also your spacing is terrible.

Models don't have to know these things. But really Ben, I thought you were a poet?

Ben we could critisise you more, but we know, and you know, and we know that you know, what you have to do to get better. Plus it's hard to commentate on style, cos everyone has their own preferences.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i used to think that doing a move ment that you understand it have nailed it yadda yadda but im starting to learn more towards there being a correct way to perform certain movements to make them look pretty eg clean planes, deliberately starting and finishing a movement where u intend to rather than where it happens to be.

as far as staff goes i think alot of ppl dont pay attention to planes so much just because alot of ppl dont get to see themselves spin much. i thought that i had fish tails down quite well when i did the dual fishes vid but a comment and practise idea from a staffer whos style i like alot has since showed me a flaw in my technique.

im not saying the coaxing comments shouldnt be there to but if u get no feedback on what can be improved on its hard to improve. is this post more to your likeing mr strugz? everytime i do a search i get loads of random results that dont have the words i searched for so ive giving up doing a durbs

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ditto I find the Durbs function doesn't work to well sometimes, you really should sort that out Paul rolleyes

Let's relight this forum ubblove

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
"Dogs learn quicker if yout pat them and give them biscuits than if you yell at them and hit them."
hug bounce

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
not when they crap on your carpets they dont wink It's all about appropriate wording,

praise where it's required + positive critisism where it's required = Good review

Let's relight this forum ubblove

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I think its called positive feedback! tongue

Unfortunately I think there is a big element of not wanting to hurt people's feelings! And not knowing how to give feedback in a constructive way.

Having written that... how do you tell someone they spin like the StarWars Kid?

Cheers!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
firetwirlers can be credited with the intelligence to understand.
it is not causative logic to presume that a lack of criticism is indicative of a lacking in understanding or a hesitation in analysis.
perhaps you're just damn good, bro! biggrin

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
I honestly lack the ability to really give good critique, outside of video editing. Even there, that's not the purpose of the show, is it? Personally I like a nice "Here's what you need to work on" than the alternative "Geez, that was so full 'o carp that...." (mis-spelling intentional)

And I agree with glass. smile

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: ben-ja-men

i used to think that doing a move ment that you understand it have nailed it yadda yadda but im starting to learn more towards there being a correct way to perform certain movements to make them look pretty eg clean planes, deliberately starting and finishing a movement where u intend to rather than where it happens to be.

as far as staff goes i think alot of ppl dont pay attention to planes so much just because alot of ppl dont get to see themselves spin much. i thought that i had fish tails down quite well when i did the dual fishes vid but a comment and practise idea from a staffer whos style i like alot has since showed me a flaw in my technique.

im not saying the coaxing comments shouldnt be there to but if u get no feedback on what can be improved on its hard to improve. is this post more to your likeing mr strugz? everytime i do a search i get loads of random results that dont have the words i searched for so ive giving up doing a durbs

so you can see that you have been playing wit the london crowd, no better way of saying it wink

Step (el-nombrie)

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
i think it's different to give constructive criticisms and to simply criticize. here are some examples:

- the video was very repetitive. there were also almost no body movements.

- the video was very repetitive, while you are video editing, maybe you can try going through the clips more closely and pick out repeated or similar looking ones. this way you can save webspace and bandwidth. also allows people with slow connection to get your videos easier. you can also try analyzing your routine by watching your video, try to look for which moves were repeated the most and make a conscious effort to try and mix it up more.

a lot of times you were standing still with no body movement. maybe you can try slowing down your moves, and instead of focusing on nailing each move perfectly, try to add some body movement into your routine. even taking couple steps or turns will add a lot. you can also bend your knees for some level changes.
------------------------------------------------------------------

see the difference? for me, constructive criticism not only tells the person what i don't like about it. i also need to provide possible solutions to the problem, and even reasoning on why i think changing these little things might help that person perform better in the future.

obviously that person does not need to listen to me, but hopefully he/she will be open minded enough to listen to opinions from a different perspective. i think that's the way it should be and how we can all help each other improve.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
drew
"Dogs learn quicker if yout pat them and give them biscuits than if you yell at them and hit them."

this is true, when u train a dog you say a command and to begin with you physically force the dog to sit, lay down, stay etc then praise the dog and repeat. which works much better than yelling at them although a stern voice never goes astray. however this is slightly different to object manipulation where there isnt an external influence constantly correcting and rewarding correct movements. instead theres lots of ppl fumbling round in isolated groups. im starting to lean towards the notion that there is an essense to each complete body movement and that essense is found when the movement it performed correctly as the move not only feels beautiful but looks beautiful ill post a video in a few weeks of what i mean. but at the moment i think that staff (yeah im biased i know) is at a stage where only brief glimpses of these essenses are seen. not because theres something mystic or magic about it simply because the small pieces to teh puzzle that have been found havent been fully explored and recorded.

patrick
Having written that... how do you tell someone they spin like the StarWars Kid?

point out the aspects that make it so jeeedi like and offer an explaination as to how to correct that

bender
perhaps you're just damn good, bro!

ubblol your funny rolleyes to be good requires flow i gotta learn to dance first smile

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
>....im starting to lean towards the notion that there is an essense to each complete body movement and that >essense is found when the movement it performed correctly as the move not only feels beautiful but looks >beautiful...

And more.....

You're making good progress, but you probably only kicking around base camp number 3 and its a long way to climb up staff mountain,
When you get up there, there's a good surprise waiting for you in your dreams.

If there were those who walk among us who had seen more than brief glimses, how would you know?

>....ill post a video in a few weeks of what i mean
I doubt it.

now where did I leave that link: https://www.taiji.de/
they're like a couple of little yoda's on the ends of 2 bits of string.

We'll make a staff spinner of you yet young Luke

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Damn you all - do a Durbs damnit!

*sigh*
Oh it's been a while since I've said that biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
ubblol

other than ben's i can't remember seeing many bad videos lately. wink maybe cos i'm selective about which ones i watch and maybe cos i just enjoy watching other people spinning. biggrin

perhaps the reason i find it hard to criticise is partly cos in my opinion i'm still recruiting the sherpas somewhere back in the village and partly cos i'm never sure what skill level the peeps i'm watching are at. it also takes a few viewings to inteligently deconstrust and digest videos which i don't seem to do that often cos i'd rather be practicing something.....

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
hmmmm.

All criticism (constructive or destructive or any other way you want to label it) is just a personal opinion.

Ben - this word 'correct' That's where you're going wrong.

Written by:

instead theres lots of ppl fumbling round in isolated groups.

- I hope with every part of my being that I never live to see the day when all these 'fumbling' people are united, for that is when this 'essence' you are searching for will be truly lost.

thoughtful and slightly alarmed fairy out x

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
"a correct way to perform certain movements" umm

the correct way to perform a movement is to perform it the way you meant to

loads of contructive criticism is a good way to make everyone spin exactly the same

which would be lame

when i make a video, i want adulation, not criticism. Please bear this in mind wink

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Simian - hug2

Written by:

the correct way to perform a movement is to perform it the way you meant to
loads of contructive criticism is a good way to make everyone spin exactly the same

This is exactly what I was trying to say but I couldn't make the words behave. Thank you.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
oops, i didn't see your post. It took me ages to write mine, cos the words wouldn't behave smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

moves are a good way of making everyone spin the same.

but i agree with what your saying. i still think critisism is cool though. like for instance sometimes i know some aspect of my poi sucks but i dont do anything about it because im not sure how noticable it is to the outside observer. so if an outside observer notices this aspect of my poi sucks, but dosnt tell me, i assume they havnt noticed and leave it be. they should just tell me i suck. if i was a perfectionist i wouldnt have this problem though, but im not, theres not enough time.
EDITED_BY: oli (1105045455)

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Ben... It was all just crap... (<~~~ Criticism) , I think that you should just forget everything you know... after teaching it all to me of course, and start all over again... <~~~ Constructive Criticism biggrin biggrin biggrin

Now that's go advice I think... hug hug hug

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
FNF
"All criticism (constructive or destructive or any other way you want to label it) is just a personal opinion."

this is definately true, what appears as beautiful is also subjective however there is an underlying universal trend amongst humans as to what we percieve to be beautiful ie golden ratio u find it everywhere arcitecture, nature, human face (https://tlc.discovery.com/convergence/humanface/articles/mask.html)

glass
>....ill post a video in a few weeks of what i mean
I doubt it.

i mean a video of the concept of the whole body movement and how it relates to a simple fishtail movement not perfect essense smile

simian
"the correct way to perform a movement is to perform it the way you meant to
which would be lame"

i disagree i think that every whole body movement is like a sentance with each limb being a seperate word and there being a large multitude of beautiful words and certain patterns that resonate well with each other creating pleasing sentance through a beautiful shape. there are also certain words that clash with others or are just shape and nasty like dinosaw arms which just totally detract from the rest of the body shape.

so a sequence of movements is alot like telling a story with a huuuuuuuuge range of variation and freedom for expression. to be honest i think the way things are now the majority (naturally there are ppl out there who have a very unique and wonderful style the approving ninja jumps to mind) of ppl spin very close to exactly the same as far as single staff goes (very little foot work and very trick orientated) as they lack a large enough vocabulary to be able to express themselves, i know my vocab isnt as big as id like it to be.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You got criticism and you complained about it. that nice vocabulary challenged young man explained just what you could do with your stick spinning and pointed you in the direction of a nice "skagHead" and yet here you are complaining that no one is critical....

Plus i told you to get a haircut.

jeez there's just no pleaseing some people.

Meh

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
f*ck critism. The best criticism I get is from a mirror, not being able to do something on fire, or not being able to do something continuously.

Just go and practise more biyatch!

Universal asthetic = true. But there's still a whole whole of individual asthetics out there. Detours for example. But this means you have the asthetic so you should be able to critique yourself. Especially since your a gay poet. wink

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ditto

Well put clap especially the last part.......

biggrin

hug 2 Ben for asking for it!

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
if when ppl are learning u go put this here lift that do this and they get the move this is all criticism by ur logic no one should teach anyone anything and we should all just bumble round in the dark until we find new stuff

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
I hear you Ben but........

Body movement that your talking about plays a huge part in staff / contact...
However thats YOUR style (& mine, sort of...dont get me wrong)

Though i think your critisism is tring to dictate the way YOU would spin a stick, adopting some of your style / technique i think every staffer should do to a point as they will learn something for sure, but in their own way.... there is no right way, just a nice way.....

& there are lots of nice ways smile peace smile

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i dunno that its possible to dictate the way someone does anything, everything in life is personal choice how much you choose to let external influences have an effect on you is your personal choice. currently there are no structures at all to staff in the fire twirling world i think some form or frame work would offered ppl (myself included) a means to fully explore the vocabulary of movement so that they can then develope their own style more. i agree that there are lots of nice ways many of which are undiscovered through a simple lack of knowledge, compare the standard of baton to that of twirling once the online spinning community became aware of what baton twirlers where doing contact got a huge influx of ideas all of which stem from a structured system. my style is influenced by baton but definately not dictated u dont see me dressing up in spandex tights now do you ..... well not on week nights tongue

imho spinning is made beautiful by complete body movements the motion of the parts controlling the stick are just a facet of this the rest is however largely glossed over

Page: