Forums > Help! > Bit random - Vauxhall Nova stereo advice?

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
OK, so I'm trying to swap my old car CD/radio thing with my girlfriend's standard Vauxhall Nova one, but the big problem at the moment is that I can't get the old one out! There seems to be some kind of screw going into the back of it but in a position where it would be impossible to unscrew. I have no idea what to do, so before I sought professional assistance I wondered if anyone could help me (or point me in a helpful direction) because 10000 googles, yahoos and metacrawls later I'm still totally lost.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
hmmmmm.....I've never takenone from a Nova before but I'd imagine that screw is an earth not an attachement to the car. If it is attached then it's most likely attached to a frame, if so the frame is probably removable.

The problem with standard stereos is they are to fit the car so fit really well without much consideration for replacement by anyone other than Vauxhall (earns them extra cash you see) but there may be key ways down the side of the stereo. lots of car steroes have little round holes or maybe a flat slot (or two) in each side, the correct key needs to be inserted to release a couple of catches and remove it. The keys tend to be around 6 inches long and made of either flat or round metal strips. If there are holes you could always try to find a pair in a local car audio centre or vauxhall dealerships. They're quite common so should be locateable with ease.

If you still have problems, you could always bung a car audio centre a fiver to take it out for you. (they might even do it for free if your girl takes the car and bats her eyelashes at the technicians wink) If you're trying to save cash it'll still be cheaper than a new stereo, especially if you're going to fit it yourself.

Good luck man, hope it all goes well!

biggrin

p.s. and to ask a silly question, there isn't a handle at the bottom of the stereo that pulls up so you can just whip it off a snatch plate is there? don't wanna sound patronising but sometimes the simplist answer is the most difficult to spot! smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Thanks for that Dunc, just the sort of advice I was after! And a no to the p.s... good thought though! It made me check! biggrin

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

matyMember
3 posts

Posted:
why dont we swap girlfriends? mine has a ford, there radios are much easyer to change...

make the bad man stop

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Yeah, alright then. wink

Girlfriend "Erm, NO! This isn't the playground!" ubblol

Thoreau

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
so this is a swinging site after all then ubblol umm

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
*slaps forehead* ubblol

Thoreau

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
have you got it out yet?

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Not yet, haven't had a chance to be honest mate. I'll have a go at it on Friday probably, or at least have a look and maybe get her to do some eyelash-fluttering biggrin

Thoreau

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
hammers work! only kidding, KY jelly is better

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!