• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 123
onewheeldave
GOLD Member since Aug 2002

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3252
Posted:It's 2005 and time for my annual thread recommending Allen Carrs book-

'Easy Way to Give up Smoking'

For anyone who's not had success with the usual methods.

It was early on in 2000 when I put out my final cigarette, after around 10 years of failed attempts. Which means I'm coming up to 5 years with no nicotine whatsoever.

So, for anyone who's on a New Years Resolution and attempting to quit using willpower, patches etc, the best of luck to you, and, if it doesn't work out, then don't fall into despair- check out Carrs excellent book.

It does seem unlikely that escaping nicotine addiction can be easy, and perhaps 'easy' isn't the best word to use; nevertheless, as someone who has managed it, I think I'm well placed to say that escaping does not have to be anywhere near the ordeal that people usually insist it will be.

I should say that I've known a lot of people walk away from addiction using Carrs method, however a lot of them become complacent and neglect to follow the simple, but strict, instructions in the book, and, six months later they end up having 'just one', which generally leads to them starting again.

In a way it's an advantage to have had a lot of failed quitting attempts under your belt, as then you can truly appreciate the value of achieving a state of mind where you are free from cigarettes, and thus less inclined to mess around with those very straightforward instructions.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Delete Topic

Helen_of_Poi
SILVER Member since Apr 2004

Helen_of_Poi

lapsed spinner

Total posts: 412
Posted:On re-reading my previous post - i don't mean to say that it's really easy to quit - it's not! It's also different for everyone, because we all have really different reasons for smoking, and patterns of when/how/where etc we smoke. I was just remembering what a pain in the bottom it was sometimes when i really needed a smoke, and there wasn't one to hand. And i was in ranting form because i just flicked through Allen Carr's book again, and it annoyed me all over again. But hey, it (or something) worked.

Again, best of luck to everyone currently quitting hug

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

Delete

onewheeldave

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:Concerning the 'grating style' of Carrs book-

Personally, I think his style is OK.

The actual content of his method for overcoming nicotine addiction is fairly brief- it could be stated in one page.

It's target audience is, however, addicted smokers who, by the nature of their situation, are not particularly open to that simple message as they have fallen victim to the myths about smoking that Carr is trying to get them to see.

So, keeping it simple, repeating the same points over-and-over (using different examples) and using capitals to emphasise the important points, seems to be a good thing.

I also think that, when smoking readers express annoyance at Carrs writings, it's often as much to do with what he's saying, then the way he's saying it.

Many smokers reading his book are still at the stage of believing that they choose to smoke, or that they benefit from smoking in some way etc- some find it annoying when Carr maintains overwise.

The success of Carr's books is undeniable- millions of ex-smokers who had failed using the conventional methods, found freedom from their addiction through Carrs books/courses.

If Carrs's style is so bad, I can't help wondering what the success rate would have been like had he used a good writing style smile

Personally, I feel that much of that success was due, precisisly because of Carrs writing style.

Certainly, there have been lots of other books aiming to help people quit, whose writing style was less extreme and which didn't annoy people- none of them seem to have been anywhere near as successful as Carrs book.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Delete

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted: Written by: Helen_of_poi

Personally, I just found it grating - the constant SAYING THINGS IN CAPITALS for emphasis and overuse of exclamation marks! drove me insane. Do we really need so many rhetorical questions? You can see examples of this in the piece that sagetree has posted above. A whole book worth of this kind of sensationalist writing really annoyed me. The only reason i did keep reading is because as you say, it's all true.

I suppose that depends on whether you think that they are rhetorical questions: as I said before, Allen Carr did ask that his audience questioned everything he said.

As smoking is such a big killer, I don't think that it's any more sensationalist than it needs to be and I think that the reason it may seem that way is because he was so genuinely passionate about the very challeneging task helping people to stop smile

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

Helen_of_Poi
SILVER Member since Apr 2004

Helen_of_Poi

lapsed spinner

Total posts: 412
Posted:Re: Above posts by OWD and Spanner - yep, tis all true. He gets his points across very clearly by using the style that he does - there's no missing the message, which is the important thing after all smile

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

Delete

faith enfire
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI

Total posts: 3556
Posted:just because we smoke, we can only find his style grating...
why can't we find his style grating because of the style itself...

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted:Er, I don't know confused
Why can't you? smile

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

onewheeldave

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:they can smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Delete

Page: 123