Forums > Social Chat > Summer's End, College Anyone?

Login/Join to Participate

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Today it's official guys (& ladies).... I'm done working for the summer at my internship and will be returning to the glorious grind that is college in a few days. 10 minutes to official unemployment Kinda depressing, so I'd like to make friendly chit-chat with other college-aged spinners and make the transition easier for everyone, especially incoming Freshmen.

But hey, college gives me more chance to perform for audiences! Anyone else about to make the transition? I wanna hear where everyone's gonna be going and what they're working towards, cuz you're all my friends and I'm sure many of us are in the same situation. Here's my school info for whoever cares!

I'll be going into my 5th year at Oklahoma State University, majoring in Mechanical Engineering with a Pre-Medical option. Fire dancing will no doubt occupy a lot of free time, as we're thinking about going professional soon. Also get to see my old friends again, and my roommates who are my brothers in every sense of the word but the literal. Tae Kwon Do starts up again soon, I can't wait! (I hope to get my brown belt at the end of this school year)

So yeah everyone who's a student like me, or wants to reminisce about the old glory days of college, please share with the rest of us

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I am packing right now to return to Michigan to start my second year of medical school.

Basically, the next year will be hell on earth...the year after will be the level of Hell that Dante didn't dare visit...and the year after will actually be a bit better.

Then residency starts. So basically, I am taking a deep breath and going under for the next ten years or so.

Except...I keep remembering that there is a good reason for all of this.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
I'm starting my second year @ the University of Toronto. I'm majoring in Psychology and plan on being a holistic psychologist (can't think of what else to call it). Basically looking at all aspects (physical, mental, emotional) of a person's life in order to sort things out. Just started teaching yoga last tuesday @ a place right by my skool.
I used to hate school...now I luv it..thank god I managed to hang in there while I was going thru the transition

Om Namah Sivaya

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
I'm starting my first year ot Acad (alberta collage of art and design)

im sooo excited.. it took me 2 years to figure out that i needed to graduate and go there..
so now i get to go to school and paint stuff alll dayyyyyyy

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

AardvarkOnAcidmember
92 posts

Posted:
I'll be going into my second year of graduate school here at Stanford, in Computational Mathematics, though I have a little over a month left at my summer job. Which means my qualifying exams are coming up in a month and I'll need to figure out what the hell my research area will be, work out funding, stalk potential advisors, etc. And if all that works out, I get to spend ~4-5 years researching and writing a thesis. Wheeeeeeeee!

But, after the mental rape that was the previous year, I at least feel it can't get *that* much worse.

Is that all life comes down to? To be lying face down with an overenthusiastic guy in pink pin-striped pants sitting on top of you and grunting? -- Random MusingsSex, Drugs and Psytrance.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
btw, college mean something different to out international friends. what we seem to all be doing so far is "uni"

english is a weird language.

i'll be frosh at ucsc (santa cruz) this fall.
major: Language Studies: Japenese

still got four weeks of work left tho, and it's starting to drive me nuts, as much as i like my job. and i need to start packing soon....*shakes head at self*

oh, and aardvark? ur studies are scary. i think calc 2 is scary, i don't want to know what ur doing!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

AardvarkOnAcidmember
92 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrian:
btw, college mean something different to out international friends. what we seem to all be doing so far is "uni"

english is a weird language.

i'll be frosh at ucsc (santa cruz) this fall.
major: Language Studies: Japenese

still got four weeks of work left tho, and it's starting to drive me nuts, as much as i like my job. and i need to start packing soon....*shakes head at self*

oh, and aardvark? ur studies are scary. i think calc 2 is scary, i don't want to know what ur doing!

Heh. Yeah, there are definately mornings I wake up and go 'holy shit, what was I smoking when I decided to do this?!'

But like most things it becomes a lot less intimidating once you do it for a while.

Is that all life comes down to? To be lying face down with an overenthusiastic guy in pink pin-striped pants sitting on top of you and grunting? -- Random MusingsSex, Drugs and Psytrance.

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
MY GOODNESS you people are hard workers!

So, anyone got any juicy uni stories (for the returners), or any "new school" fears (for the first-timers)?

Lemme tell ya, nothing beats the alcoholic roommate who gives you all the good "well my roommate got drunk and..." stories to tell other people

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I'll be starting my Freshman year... in high school.

oooogoodigoodi!

Heh. I dun wanna do it but I've gots-ta! First yeara high school. Yay n' stuff.

Kinudin

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Kinudin is younger thanI thought. I thought he was more like a Sophomore in HS.

-Mike

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Well if everything goes according to plan
(which it very rarely does )

I should be starting my second year at uni doing law in september .

what a nightmare.

safe (or not so as the case may be)

[garbo]

be excellent to each other: safe:

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:

I only have 6 weeks left in the lab and then I have to try and write my PhD thesis

oh well I am sure all my spare time will be taken up with spinning and I will get to have a credit card with Dr on it

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Mark,

Good luck on your thesis! It's possible I may be taking that insane road in a few years, myself...

As for me, my summer is over and I begin my drive back to Michigan today.

I'll be in touch with all of you!

-Mike

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I'm full of random thoughts again

That's Kyri, always wordy.

Mark P: If I recall correctly, ur doing ur PhD in Chem. which makes you insane.... but i hope all goes well as you finish it up.

MikeGinny: I think most of us have thought Kinudin was older at one point or another, altho admittedly you got a lot closer to his age than i did.

Garbo: does law even leave you time to spin? i always thought it was sort of a life-force sucker.... even more so than med or vet school.

Kinudin: Freshman year of high school is actually one of the best. A little less so for guys than girls i think, but don't worry too much

Brody, and anyone else with fairly recent college expierience: We do trimesters at santa cruz, and in general in addition to class i want too do martial arts and im lacrosse & floor hockey. and of course, spinning, for which i need an hour or so a day for staff.
I have some work-study hours i'm going to be doing, but not very many..... i might start trying 4 classes a trimester when winter quarter comes around though. (i know i'm mixing terms. but it makes sense if you look at the schedule, trust me.)
The question is, should i get another job during class (i can live w/o one, it's a little tight but it will work i think. but it might make it tuff to go to school next year.) or not, and if so how many hours?
How many hours is too many to work whilst in school? i have tues sat and sun off from class, thurs class is over at 930am, and friday class is over before noon. i tend to overschedule myself, so i'm asking ahead of time

thanks guys peace & love, kyri

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Im gonna go back to the second year (repeated) of a modern arts degree (well, performance writing, but dont ask) in september, unfortunatly I just been to edinburgh and discovered a much more vibrant arts scene and now I dont wanna go! poo.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
I'm transferring to Hampshire College in Amherst, Mass. Its one of them new age hippie schools that doesn't have grades and stuff. I get to design my own course of study, which should be a major in criminology and social reform and a minor in non-Western dance forms.

I will have to find some form of work that will pay for my the rest of my uni (god bless america and its prices for higher education ). I also want to try to start a performance group for UV and fire type stuff. Figure that sense there are tons of crazy artsy people at my school, it could become a reality. When? I don't know, but it could happen.

Kyrian, if you want my advice, go to UCSC check out your classes and see what's required before you get another job. If its isn't absolutely necessary, then start at school and see what you can handle so you don't burn out.

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
4th year, International Business....yawn.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

BigPantsmember
99 posts

Posted:
I've just finished my years industrial placemnt in London, and well glad that i will be back at uni in October. I've decided i never want to work again, i hate it. I'm in a summer job in marketing at the moment, which i thought was really interesting but realsied that its just another shitty job. Final year is gona be tough though at uni, but its gota be better that this working shit.

The bigger the pants the better!

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Going into second year of cognitive science at Queen's up here in Canada, and I can't wait. The courses I'm taking this year are awesome...perception...learning...data structures...simulation...ooo, lovely.

You may think I'm joking but I swear I'm not. This stuff is actually fascinating to me. (p.s. I'm a big geek.)

Kinudin, you're going into highschool now?? Geez...for some reason I just assume that everyone on here is 'round about my age. Ah well. Good luck dood!

Brody, I have a good prank to share. A friend of mine who goes to Macmaster heard about this that got pulled elsewhere in residence last year...

Basically some guy and a few other peeps on his floor got up nice and early and put newspaper all over some poor chap's door. Then they waited there for the guy to get up and when they heard him open his door, when they knew he was facing this newpaper wall right in front of him, they start shouting, "jump! jump! jump!" The guy is a little apprehensive, needless to say, but he works up the nerve and bursts through the newspapered door. Everyone cheers and the guy walks away thinking he's the man.

The next day they do the exact same thing...get up nice and early and newspaper the door, wait for him to get up and then start shouting "jump!" A little less hesitant, the guy jumps through the newspaper and once again everyone cheers.

The next day, they do the exact same thing, except this time they move a coke machine from down the hall and put it just behind the newspaper. And by this time, of course, the guy is pretty used to the routine so he backs up and take a running leap at his newspapered door. Apparently from the outside all you heard was a gigantic slam, and all you could see was the coke machine shift in place under the force that this guy had intended to put into a graceful leap. This of course was followed by oodles and oodles swearing from inside of the door while everybody else made their getaway.

I only wish I was that clever...all the pranks I pulled were pretty lame...

Teinemember
74 posts

Posted:
been packing for a week or so now... *sigh*
one week left.

life begins between the night and the light.

Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm changing majors...again This time I'm doing business and getting my Pilot's License. I was in Air Force ROTC on scholarship so they chose my major - Electrical Engineering . I decided to screw that so I quit AF and switched majors. I was a mechanical engineer but i struggled with it for three years so I'm finally giving it up and going after my real dream - opening up a small (very small probably) airline that does island & remote excursions, and sightseeing stuff. I'm also going to *try* to get my SCCA license. For those that are scrathing their heads right now - basically I want to be a race car driver. Well, ralley driver anyway. The only problem is that I don't have a car to race with so I'm working on that.

Props to you Brody, I wish I were a little better at calc related stuff. I probably would've stuck it out a little longer. Dynamics was hell enough for me. Wouldn't even want to think about Controls.

Ok, not that y'all needed to know my life story but I guess I had to vent. Thanks for indulging me in my ramblings!

peace & luv,
cage

Without further guilding the lily and with no more ado, I bid you farewell and sweet dreams...