Page:
onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Predictions for 2005

All just my opinion of course: -

2005 will be the year of the diabolo- fueled by thousands of spinners looking to move into some traditional skills; the diablo, with its very easy initial learning curve, yet also scope for really challenging moves and combinations, will be ideal.

Also another yo-yo boom, which I think will have more of a cross-over with diabolo and poi than previous ones.

And of course a boost in circus skills of all kinds, which is already evident with new shops opening up etc.

--------------------------

On the web, Javascript/Active-x issues will become highly relevant, and will no longer be 'brushed under the carpet'.

Doing some research recently I saw estimates of 8 to 9% for web users who switch off Javascript/ActiveX in their browsers because of the security issues associated with them.

That's getting close to 1 in 10 of web users, and that's the kind of level where web site owners have to start to seriously consider the consequences for their web traffic.

In addition, the Javascript/activeX issue is not like past situations with old browsers (where many web designers had to 'fudge' their designs so they'd work in out-of-date browsers) because, whereas old browsers diminish in numbers as time goes by, it's almost certain that the number of users switching off Javascript/ActiveX will continue to grow with each new security problem and with the spreading knowledge that disabling Javascript/ActiveX is a good way of averting most malware attacks.

-----------------

Lastly, for those living in the civilised west, a greater appreciation of just how lucky we are.

It felt so strange at the turn of the New Year watching the TV coverage of the celebrations in London, with what must have been hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of fireworks being hurled into the sky as, elsewhere over 100,000 people have been wiped out and many more are destined to die.

I didn't feel judgemental, just strange.

Later the phrase 'exchange rate' popped into my head- how many ethiopean lives, for example, are worth one American or British life.

And I'm not being cynical here; we all know it's undisputable that we place more value on our own, and that what is out-of-sight is out-of-mind. I'm not even saying it shouldn't be that way to some extent.

But, this year in particular, I've become more and more aware of the gluttony over here, the lack of appreciation, the frivolity and waste.

I want to predict that those issues will be seriously addressed by more people, and a greater recognition that those living in distant hell-holes are just like us.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
@ dave: any predictions for 2006???
@ NYC: or maybe you try some this time???

wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Dams to you NYC.. you beat me to it! :shakesfist:

"I've seen about 3 hoops this year, and none of them held my attention." - Surely thats a personal preference? I know I would certainly prefer to watch a semi attractive female who was hopeless at hoop but enjoyed it, rather than a really good diabloist who could do anything with it. Is it not a case of hourses for courses? Or is it more of a case of "T&B" that gives the female the advantage? wink
I suggest people wait for my hooping video mumble mumble mumble, containing NO hooping in the tradional sence devil

Dave, which conventions did you attend last year?
I know I certainly saw more hoopers than diaboloists at Play, Falmouth (3+ 4), Ireland, Glastonbury (!), and both the London and the Bristol juggling conventions. To me, it would appear that hooping has grown exponentially in direct and stark contrast to diabolo which has appeared to have receeded into the dark and slimy shadows of the underachieving and cantankerous Hebredian molehills.
Ahem.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well said UCoF.

If you take the interest in hooping and divide it by the interest in hooping of 2 years ago, I'm quite certain you'll get a much much larger number than that of diabolo.

And Fire Tom, I DID have a prediction for 2005. HOOPS! biggrin

Prediction for 2006?

I have one. I think we'll see a lot less of me on HoP. It won't be so apparent in the next few months but by year's end I think I'll have faded away into my own little eutopia.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: UnbeatenChampionOfFighting

Dave, which conventions did you attend last year?
I know I certainly saw more hoopers than diaboloists at Play, Falmouth (3+ 4), Ireland, Glastonbury (!), and both the London and the Bristol juggling conventions.

Like I said before to NYC-

Written by: onewheeldave

Have you considered the possibility that you move in circles where hooping is popular, and I move in circles where diabolo is popular?

I've been to a lot of juggling conventions this year- they've all been one-dayers, in or close to, South Yorkshire.

Everyone of them has had a good number of skilled diabolists, and either no, or a small number of hoopers.

I can fully accept that at the likes of Falmouth, Glastonbury etc, there were pleny of hoopers.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Aw c'mon now.

You said it would be the "YEAR OF THE DIABOLO".

I see hundreds of diaboloers every year at EJC.

And since you posted this on HoP, it seems safe to say that there's been no diabolo explosion on HoP.

There's never been a hula hoop thread before this year and now there's been such an explosion that HoPers are making and selling Hoops on websites and many HoPers PRIMARY juggling toy has since become the Hula Hoop.

And since we are doing this by personal experience, I did not see ONE diabolo the entire year of 2005. And since you admit to having seen more than one hoop, by my utterly flawed and innane logic...

I WIN!

bounce

Of course the fact that for the first time in HoP history, EVERYONE is siding with me feels good also. But I won't let it go to my head.

But it is nice to be right once. Even if it's only about Hula Hoops. And how wrong Dave is.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Like I said before-

Have you considered the possibility that you move in circles where hooping is popular, and I move in circles where diabolo is popular?

I think you should (consider it), it may explain the fact why for you, and your festivaly-orientated social-juggly type friends, 2005 was the year of the hoop; whereas for me, and other more technical-skill orientated jugglers, it was the year of the diabolo.

It's not long back that two-diabolo work was seen as the peak of the art, with the odd occurance of a raggedy three-high.

This year, two-diabolo has become pretty much a standard that most semi-serious diabolists will achieve. Three-low is becoming fairly common (for example, I saw it performed on-stage at a one-day convention by a schoolboy as part of a very impressive diabolo routine)

And one-diabolo dancey-intricate-flowing routine style stuff has become an art form.

Now I'm not going to be snobbish about skill, and make out, as some jugglers have tended to do in the past, that it's more important than the social aspects and the fun aspects.

But, for me, it just happens to be a prime factor in what holds my interest in the art of juggling, and what I've seen over the last year is an explosion in the development of the art of diabolo.

We had the release of the 'Diabology' DVD, arguably the most impressive collection of diabolo videos to date.

Similarly with equipment- the new tricks. skills and flowing routines necessitating a variety of new, quality, diabolos, handsticks and customisable axles.

I'm sure some of this holds for hooping, for example the popularisation of the new form of heavy hoop made from pipe.

The fact remains however, that, in all sincerity, in the world in which I move, I've seen very little of the advancements in hooping (I'm not saying they haven't happened, just that I've not seen them), but I've seen diabolo virtually re-invent itself.

Now, in part this is because i've actively sought out info on diabolos, and downloaded/bought vids and diabolo equipment etc, and that's cos I'm interested in it, in a way that I'm not interested in hooping.

Which prompts me to again mention-

Maybe for you, and others, 2005 was the year of the hoop, AND, for me, and others, it was the year of the diabolo.

Personally, I'm happy for them not to be mutually exclusive.

Now I'm sure this threads getting tired- it's been up for over a year, how about we let it get some kip?

Goodnight all smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i took up diabolo biggrin

and ignored hoop biggrin

(not quite true...)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
took up hoop biggrin