Page:
onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Predictions for 2005

All just my opinion of course: -

2005 will be the year of the diabolo- fueled by thousands of spinners looking to move into some traditional skills; the diablo, with its very easy initial learning curve, yet also scope for really challenging moves and combinations, will be ideal.

Also another yo-yo boom, which I think will have more of a cross-over with diabolo and poi than previous ones.

And of course a boost in circus skills of all kinds, which is already evident with new shops opening up etc.

--------------------------

On the web, Javascript/Active-x issues will become highly relevant, and will no longer be 'brushed under the carpet'.

Doing some research recently I saw estimates of 8 to 9% for web users who switch off Javascript/ActiveX in their browsers because of the security issues associated with them.

That's getting close to 1 in 10 of web users, and that's the kind of level where web site owners have to start to seriously consider the consequences for their web traffic.

In addition, the Javascript/activeX issue is not like past situations with old browsers (where many web designers had to 'fudge' their designs so they'd work in out-of-date browsers) because, whereas old browsers diminish in numbers as time goes by, it's almost certain that the number of users switching off Javascript/ActiveX will continue to grow with each new security problem and with the spreading knowledge that disabling Javascript/ActiveX is a good way of averting most malware attacks.

-----------------

Lastly, for those living in the civilised west, a greater appreciation of just how lucky we are.

It felt so strange at the turn of the New Year watching the TV coverage of the celebrations in London, with what must have been hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of fireworks being hurled into the sky as, elsewhere over 100,000 people have been wiped out and many more are destined to die.

I didn't feel judgemental, just strange.

Later the phrase 'exchange rate' popped into my head- how many ethiopean lives, for example, are worth one American or British life.

And I'm not being cynical here; we all know it's undisputable that we place more value on our own, and that what is out-of-sight is out-of-mind. I'm not even saying it shouldn't be that way to some extent.

But, this year in particular, I've become more and more aware of the gluttony over here, the lack of appreciation, the frivolity and waste.

I want to predict that those issues will be seriously addressed by more people, and a greater recognition that those living in distant hell-holes are just like us.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

The vid is mostly just chicks dancing and showing flesh but has some quality hooping mixed in.

It's terrible, the things we have to endure in the pursuit of knowledge wink

I couldn't actually download that one though frown

So I went to hooping.org and downloaded the 'workshop hooping vid'. They're really into it aren't they. I'm very impressed by the enthusiasm.

Incidently, I've just been looking over some of the threads on hooping.org and found this one: -

https://www.hooping.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=208

where they're voting about whether or not to shut the forum down.

You should get in there and cast a vote; it looks like a pretty good board and it'd be a shame if it goes down.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
No!

You're supposed to stick by your guns and argue with me until the end and then get personally offended and insult me and then quote the bible or something! There is no compromise, there can only be right and wrong in any discussion.

Haven't you ever been on the INTERNET before?!

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi OWD, I agree that circus skills seem to be on the increase, and I wonder if you acknowledge that this phenomenon is probably driven by the boom in poi and fire spinning? I

I’m also wondering why you consider diabolo a “more traditional skill” than poi, club swinging, pole, meteor etcetc, which have been used for thousands of years.

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stone

Hi OWD, I agree that circus skills seem to be on the increase, and I wonder if you acknowledge that this phenomenon is probably driven by the boom in poi and fire spinning? I

Written by: onewheeldave- from first post

2005 will be the year of the diabolo- fueled by thousands of spinners looking to move into some traditional skills; the diablo, with its very easy initial learning curve, yet also scope for really challenging moves and combinations, will be ideal.

Though I should have said 'partly fueled' as the new generation of diabolists are from a wide variety of backgrounds,msome juggling, some spinning, and some who've done nothing but diabolo.

Written by: Stone

I’m also wondering why you consider diabolo a “more traditional skill” than poi, club swinging, pole, meteor etcetc, which have been used for thousands of years.

I meant 'traditional' in the context of UK circus skills culture, where diabolo has long been a part of the juggling scene, whereas poi has only recently been known of, and, even more recently, accepted.

Obviously, using 'traditional' in the sense of historical world culture, poi/spinning is just as traditianal as diabolo.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks Dave, I suppose while clubs and pole are also traditional in the UK, they would have been more likely to have been associated with gymnastics than circus.

It’s also interesting to note that Diabolo and Devil stix are being marketed through some of the specialty trick stores like Socrates and national geographic type stores in the big shopping centres.

wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I think the apocalypse is coming.

Tsunamis, storms, landslides, south australias worst bushfire since 1983, wars, trouble and strife.

I'm going to get me a 'the end is nigh' sandwich board and walk around for a while.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Now that was predictable wink

And has much historical significance.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
My quote from months ago...

As usual Dave is wrong. wink

Hula Hoop.

Trust me.

Hula
Hoop

It's coming.

It's hip, it's cute, it's the new rave craze.

You heard it here first.

I'm bumping this up because I'm too excited to wait another 4 months to celebrate my victory.

In the History of HoP I have never been so right and Dave has never been so wrong.

All hail me. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
eek

ubblol

Getting to the other side smile

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

I'm bumping this up because I'm too excited to wait another 4 months to celebrate my victory.

In the History of HoP I have never been so right and Dave has never been so wrong.

All hail me. biggrin

Listen Matey... if you seriously believe that hooping has done better than diabalo this year, then the only thing you'll be celebrating in 4 months time is your nomination for the award of 'by far the most deluded individual to have walked this earth, ever'.

Congratulations in advance smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I think hula hoops done pretty damn well tho...... I mean, I'm not everywhere, but c'mon, I mean, we had people jumping thru hoops at Fal... (groan...)
tongue

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You win sheffield, I win the rest of the HoP world.

Fallmouth, Play, Even Uberpoi.... I didn't see any diabolo photos... and yet can't seem to sort through the hoop photos.

Which festivals were dominated by diabolo outside of Sheffield? I can't seem to find any? tongue

Here is some random person's Falmouth and Play galleries

I can't seem to find any diabolo photos... hrm...

Have you LEFT Sheffield this year? eek

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
This year is most definately the year of the hoop.

Hoopy hoop hoopness is everywhere, spreading like wildfire!

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
i've seen way way more hoops than diabolo's but the diabolo stuff i have seen is a much higher standard than i've ever previously seen.

Gayle.....!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

Have you LEFT Sheffield this year? eek

Yes- I went to a good few juggling conventions where I saw loads and loads of diabolists, and only one hoop.

This year diabalo's done well, and so has hooping; just in different ways

ie diabalo has consolidated its previous strong position in the juggling community and advanced considerably in popularity, new techniques and commercialy produced innovative equipment.

Hoopings grown from pretty much nothing to extreme popularity in some circles/regions.

At the risk of generalising, diabalo appeals to the juggling community, hooping to other communities, diabalo is primarily technical, hooping seems to be more dance, in terms of money shifted, way more has moved due to diabalo buying than hooping, but, then again, hooping is more about making decent stuff at low cost.

ie both have done well smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
This is my personal favorite hooping photo...

https://photos.offline.org.uk/displaypicture.php?returnpage=yes&galleryid=203&orderid=3

ubbrollsmile

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

Hoopings grown from pretty much nothing to extreme popularity in some circles/regions.

Almost as if it was 'the year of the hoop'. wink

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Dave, I have been informed to come here and tell you that you are on crack.
If you were on crack, then surely you would have realised youreself, and thusly me telling you would be irrelevant.

Im going with the Hoops. kiss

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: University Can Offer Future

Dave, I have been informed to come here and tell you that you are on crack.

Who sent you?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
NYC.

The man with the mole.

umm

[Old link]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

This is my personal favorite hooping photo...

https://photos.offline.org.uk/displaypicture.php?returnpage=yes&galleryid=203&orderid=3

ubbrollsmile

You have odd tastes Dr tongue

Personally I prefer this one wink ubbrollsmile

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
And i have to agree with everybody bar Dave. Hooping is the new black.....

Meh

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:

Predictions for 2005

2005 will be the year of the diabolo-

Hula Hoop.

Trust me.

Hula
Hoop

It's coming.

You heard it here first.

Wel, yhou're onto something there NYC. My wee daughter having gone to 4 festies in the UK just now, surrounded by every silly thing a person can do ( she did go to Play!) has come back obsessed with.. THE HULA HOOP!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: newgabe

Wel, yhou're onto something there NYC. My wee daughter having gone to 4 festies in the UK just now, surrounded by every silly thing a person can do ( she did go to Play!) has come back obsessed with.. THE HULA HOOP!

Well that's cos she came to Play biggrin

If Dave (your dave not OWD) had been there he'd be obsessed too.

the only reason I'm not obsessed (yet) is cos I'm too damned lazy to get up and join in wink

Meh

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Did anyone count the number of hoola hoopers this week at the Bristol juggling convention?
ubbangel

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
yeah, people got me to start trying it when i went over there....
and i still can't be arsed to play with diablo, altho i tried it once three years ago....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

Predictions for 2005

All just my opinion of course: -

Hula Hoop.

Trust me.

Hula
Hoop

It's coming.

You heard it here first.

I was right and Dave was wrong.

That's all I really need in life. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
My prediction should have been that NYC would bump this thread yet again now we've entered 2006 smile

You were right???

Any evidence???

If hooping has indeed undergone anything like the growth that diabolo has, then that's great- they've both done superbly.

Have you considered the possibility that you move in circles where hooping is popular, and I move in circles where diabolo is popular?

Cos, speaking personally, I've seen about 3 hoops this year, and none of them held my attention.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
I took up diabolo last year...

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Well done Jeff- you made the right choice smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Page: