Lazerousmember
17 posts

Posted:
There is a rave in atlanta ga on the 24th of this month. i know there will be twirlers there but they are usually mundane and only know the forward weave and the butterfly. I would love to see someone else there that is actually practicing poi. I cant remember his name but one of the posters from philly was at a club in knoxville tn, last night and the two of us had a great time. I cant imagine what it would be like if there several of us at a big rave with 2000+ people around. if anyone can make it please send me an email at tfranklin@highland.net so that we can make arrangement to meet up and share some tricks.

Nutsacmember
2 posts

Posted:
What up. You going to Paul Van Dyk? Wish I could attend that one. Atlanta gets some good ones at the North Atlanta Trade Center. We caught Oakenfold, Sasha & Digweed, Rabbit in the Moon, Dieselboy there. Have a good time! That's also the weekend of the Winter Music Conference down in South Beach. Got some buds going to that one too.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
thtas what it is like down here in Houston,tx.When we go to raves, we are the only ones that can actually spin, so we gather crowds. But the dwonside is that you are always with the same people all the time, so it does get alittle mundane. Untill Tomorrow night at GRAVITY ZERO rave, im going to bust some new shit that i learned just this week from you good people and the message board... Hell yeahAnother doenside is that since there are not to many people that do it, most "Ravers" here look down on it, and call it stupid. I got on this message board and got slammed because i said that i love to spin at raves, and do strings. Narrow minded asses...<> I need to meet some honest t ogoodness POI throwers, so i can pick up on some new moves. So much different seeing it compared to reading it...you know how it is...Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Lazerousmember
17 posts

Posted:
Yea a lot of ravers look down on it because those few people that were exposed to POI only did like 3 tricks and they all involved a standard buterfly in front of their bodies, i used to be one of those people who wished the twirlers would put up their sticks and let me dance, but since then i was exposed to the more elaborate tricks and have learned them my self. I think that if just two of us could get togather we could really cause a stir. the only bad thing is starting another twirling fad. actually we're going to connected with aphrodite as the headliner. i wish it was carl cox or oakenfold or digweed, but ill take what i can get. ive been using real short strings lately so i know i wont take up alot of room. but i am working on a way to start off with short strings and then move over to some 2-3' stings to emphasize how broad poi is. i mean there are definitely some tricks that i would never try on long stings for fear of losing my head and there are tricks that i would never do with short strings because they totally lose the appeal. id still love to see some other twirlers who know what they are doing. i still dont know what im doing and id love to harvest some knowledge from you vets out there. have fun all

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
At clubs and raves, i stay away from the dance floor unless i am dancing, if i am anywhere near people, i stay short. i have never hit anyone, because i respect their space, and realize that i am the odd one out. i start my routines off usually with short strings. They are about 6" long plus the length of the Gsticks. You can pull some nice looking tricks. Do Corkscrews with your hands almost touching to give a figure 8 shape. in fact thats how i learned to do a CS. You can sneak in flat horizontal spins in with the figure 8's that look really cool.I like to get my hands together and get the glowsticks traveling in the same plane when the music slows down, you can do this creating a slowmotion effect. And at any point you can go speed it up. Most of the basic moves can be done, and they look different because the diameters of the cirlces are alot smaller. And they spin so much faster. Then i gradually let the strings unwrap from my hands and then go long. I strongly urge you to play around with short strings. i have about 5 or 6 combos i can do that are very hard to explain, but i am sure anyone thats spins will see the possibilities. It actually inhanced my long strings. Now if i could just start short, go long, then go short again...that would be the shit! Im getting closer.Short strings are fun as hell because you can do it almost anywhere..Swing away brotha! And keep me filled in.Peace, Love, POI..Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Nutsacmember
2 posts

Posted:
Eh, if you're interested, Oakenfold will be spinning at Nation in Washington, DC on Sunday, April 8th. The show is only $20 which is relatively cheap. Hope you enjoy Aphrodite this weekend, that's some bad ass D&B. Got a fairly large group of peeps going to DC and there are 4 of us that bring our strings. None of us are veterans but we have some decent moves.Just learning to spin fire poi. Can't wait for all the outdoor parties to start up again, there is always room at those to make your chains as long as you want. Check out www.nation-dc.com if you're interested. Peace.