Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
not being a word man and i hate most word men(sorry ladies you to are included), espeacailly there ablity to have their worrds looking all proper and what not. envy, a sin, shut up word wo-man.

so i start this thread for all those who have problems with various word phases the english language picked over the years, that make no sense or piss the fuck out of you. my staring phase is "a picture paints a thousands words" it fuckin doesn't (sorry malcom and other veiwers who should be exposed to such 'words'). a picture doesn't paint words, thats why its a picture. some dumb word man (maybe it was a woman) has got us thinking pictures can be turned into words when its just not the case. enough already.

can i also say what a blessing it is to be back in the greatest nation on earth, the home of poi.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Hey Dan. How you doing? I've missed you. I bet Malcolm, Charles and mistress Flash Fire haven't. But I have.

How's the world of foreign treating you?

Still grumpy i notice.....

~~~~~~~~~~

C@ntus

If it's any consolation i'm drunk and can barely type. . .

Meh

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
<<<<<hugs>>>>>>>>>

& sprinkly fairy dust to you Itsgottab....

Smiley, smiley, smile...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Just OOC itsgottab, do you have any pictures you've ever shown a friend? Maybe old embarassing baby pictures.. hehe I'm sure your mommy would have a thousand or more words to say about those.

And the phrase is "A picture is worth a thousand words," in case you cared... please clarify this whole "word (wo)man" concept for me? You talking about people who come up with catchy phrases? Or people who have to make a little aphorism out of everything they hear? Cuz I can understand the second type getting a little irritating.

One new word trend that gets under my skin is the use of "a'ight." Perversions of a language make the speaker sound like an embecile.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
What does OOC mean?

Meh

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
In the world of role play OOC means Out Of Character, any how Itsgottab whats been goin on??? How's Korea treating you. Must be good because you can affored the alcohol hehe I am broke so my drinking habbets are next to null hehe. Toss one down for me man!!!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
thats nice malcom. rozi thankyou for that hug. c@ntus seeing you flatter me with such kind words i'll try a become more regular. ray alot has happened since we talked war for so long. i've even pass though your country for a couple of months and it was surprisingly cool, rated much higher than the mother country mainly due to glorious weather. a word wo-man is someone who who is clever with the words and usually belittle those who don't have such training.

no one has the annoying phase thing a. well i have another 'you can't have your cake and eat it to' whats the point in haveing a f'in cake for then. word men you gotta love'm for their twisted veiw of things

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
erm... brody.... it's "imbecile"

sorry to kill that nice point.

i like most language weird stuff (case in point) but a'ight does bug me.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
"you always find it in the last place you look!"

*Argh*...why would you keep looking after you've found it!

Om Namah Sivaya

Feemember
80 posts

Posted:
Actually.. you dont keep looking... see coz you found it... in the last place to check, like i did today... where the hell is my phonebook now????

Flat as a tack... most tacks ive seen are slightly dome shape

Dead as a doornail... well its an objects so its neither dead nor alive.... go figure.

arrgghhh why do you like to confuse me *cries* lmao

Fee

Why do you like to confuse me so?

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Kyrian, what would I do without sweeties like you here to correct me

What does everyone think about American Southern drawl? Think like characters from "King of the Hill," Boomhauer (sp) in particular.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Interesting......

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I'd say more, but I'm flat out like a lizard drinking at the moment, so I gotta make like a tree.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Or make like a bird and get the flawk outta here.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quotes, proverbs, sayings are wisdom distilled.
they are a small number of words that summarise a large bounty of understanding.
this wisdom is only useful when applied appropriately.
it incites us to grow by challenging us to reflect on them - an increible asset when and if unlocked.

I do agree that many phrases are contextually sensitive. That being purpose built, they lose all significance when they are applied to an irrelevant topic - or is spoken to a deaf ear.
No-one is holding a gun to your head to grow - it is your freedom to not listen.
But to lash out against this outlet of wisdom is to by extension lashing out at wisdom outright.

Intolerance stifles spiritual, intellectual, and ultimately emotional growth.
Better to ignore something you don't appreciate rather than to disown it.
(This i find to be a major problem with religion - that so few teach tolerance and peace over hatred and spite of other religions. Bhuddist teachings offer:"if a man overcomes fear, he acquires clarity of mind")

many who examine their subconciousness often reveal the fear(of others, of themselves, of failure, of inadequacy), intolerance, vanity(in being correct), dishonesty(in denying their truths) etc buried under their everyday actions.
If you challenge your fear, confront it on a moment to moment basis, the reward with be a waking peace without the deeply hidden, unaddressed turmoil of latent fear, intolerance.

You have nothing to fear from wisdom - it is a confrontation that you forces you to grow with every thought.
with fear diminished, you begin to appreciate the hidden immensity of it's hindrance to your own growth:
quote:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and faboulous?' Actually, who are not to be? You are a child of God. Yor playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing so enlightening about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are born to make manifest the glory of god which is within us. It is not in just some of us, it is in all of us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence automatically liberates others.
-Nelson Mandella

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I used to teach English at a refugee hostel here in Auckland, and have to agree with Itsgottab and Malcolm, some of our sayings are just plain wierd and impossible to figure out.

When teaching conversational english, the first thing I do is identify commonly used sayings and explain to the students that "I'll be there with bells on" doesn't actually mean anyone will be wearing bells.

This prevents a lot of confusion later on.

Although, the use of the word F*CK also fits into these categories, and so I wouldn't use it when complaining about word men...

PS Good to see you again Itsgottab!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
Bender, yet again has completely smashed it.
Sorry, for those of you moody 'non-word' people, That means he's totally summed it up for me.

I, like itsgottab, don't consider myself to have the capabilities of some others to play with words as I would like. Do I resent or condemn these people? Far from it.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Languge is an artform. One that not only conveys individuality (personal slang), but also a sense of culture. For example, wordplay such as cockney rhyming slang, is an integral, and I think an important part of Englands linguistical development. It's history. Yes, it is in many ways pointless and can be confusing, but it's fun.
I've studied other languages and have found many examples of such wordplay in each. Old sayings that seem to have no relevance to the topic discussed are part of the countries speech culture. Your example of 'a picture paints a thousand words', I'm sorry, but it's true. And for me, a word, or saying, writes a thousand more. Learning such sayings gives further insight to that cultures traditions, thus, a better understanding of the language itself.
Words are there to play with, why suppress development? What are you afraid of? No-one ever learned anything by refusing information. If you don't understand something, just ask. Atleast that way you won't be confused in the future.

xxx

Az abouve, So below...

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
When I first arrived at an American uni I was at lunch with some Americans when I announced that I ws going outside to "smoke a fag". The look of horror on their faces made me realise they thought I might be going outside to kill someone who's gay! so even without phrases there's enough confusion, even between two English speaking languages!

[ 13 August 2002, 03:28: Message edited by: pyrophile ]

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
What did the man say? "America and England are two countries separated by a common language." Your story is proof positive.
Wherever 'english' is spoken you will find major deviations and oddities in the language, both written and spoken. (And I'm sure that's true of most languages.) Our lingusitic quirks show an evolution of the language reflecting ourn culture, our society, our fears and our truths.
Although I agree that some of these insights are merely 'distilled wisdom,' as Bender so eloquently put it, some of our phrases make absolutely no sense, and that is irritating. I realize some have unique or forgotten origins, or hidden meanings, but I used to become incensed whenever I heard my teachers or parents remark: "You can't compare apples to oranges." In fact I hear that one on this board a lot. And all I can say is...Oranges are orange and round; apples are red and distictly non-spherical
As far as "a'ight" is concerned, I begrudgingly accept that as another evolutionary step in the language stairway. It's one I myself am going to skip. Another example. Forte, referring to a style or genre used to be pronounced "fort." Not "for-tay." Sometimes common usage will actually change meanings. "Axe is in the dictionary now as 'an inquiry.' May I 'axe' you a question? It was cute, for about an hour, now it's policy.
Remember that language is not sacred and it will change whether you want it to or not. At best you can merely boycott the ones you don't like. A'ight?

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
"Show me a man who says nothing. That is the man I want to speak to." Zen Proverb

Om Namah Sivaya

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
The Phrase Finder - phrases and their origins

I'm with Bender. Words are good. Personally I get annoyed by too much abbreviation and slang. Sometimes it's creative, but a lot of the time it's laziness or trying to rebel against the system by acting stupid. The English language is an amazing tool for expressing yourself and describing the intricate and complex universe we experience. But some people refuse to use more than a couple of hundreds words of it and abbreviate even those.

flowingchaliceBRONZE Member
180 posts

Posted:
Bender... I think I'm in love, lol

Who looks outside dreams; who looks inside wakes C G Jung

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
i prefer to get/organise/anaylsis my world though images that are touchibly real in my enviroment. individual letters and collectiuons of them hold no meaning in themselves, my connection to them as messagers of meaning is not close for this reason. i find a goood regular walk enables one to find interesting natural physical structures to 'get/organise/anaylsis' my world, if words are added, confussion come to town. some people aren't into words, some people aren't into limiting there commucation to the clearist frequency's, and chose to tarnish them with words.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
words give meaning, to not share words is mighty difficult!
I am glad that you agree that analysing the world is rewarding experience, but i would find such a task quite difficult if they could not be described in a language, and without language, I could never share the beauty. One is left with precious little means of communications without language.
Even when people walk, drive or bungee, the thoughts take form with words. It is a medium as inescapable as communication. To avoid words in thought is like painting in darkness - an akward approach at best.
Your point though, is taken. I do acknowledge you are absolutely correct in that many people misuse language aiight but it must realised that the fault lies in the person misusing language, rather than language itself. Far from tarnishing clear thought, language enables us to share it.
..how else could i read your post?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
BLAST!

Az abouve, So below...

wan hwo renmember
86 posts

Posted:
great quote Bender, but was it really Nelson Mandella who said it, or was it Marianne Williamson? I don't know anything about her, just happened to see the quote.
unamerican
Besides a possible mistake with the quotes I am in agreement with Bender's eloquence, but a lot of Englsih idioms are more like rehashed nonsense than distilled wisdom. Rather than portraying depth or culture they inhibit communication by being difficult to understand.

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
I used to think language was the ultimate form of expression, with it's versatility and potential for creative use. One could paint a tapestry with words, woo a woman through letters, convince men to fight for an idealism. Now I find words can be just as clumsy and awkward. I haven't lost my faith in the power words can have, but I don't see them as the be-all and end-all of expression. Words often fail where a simple hug succeeds. I think there are certain aspects of our world which are beyond even words.

Don't believe me? Try explaining 'green' to a blind woman...

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.