Forums > Social Chat > Poll: Carnivore, herbivore, omnivore?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
No mention of Nutella or Marmite promise!

I ask because I have just been to a gathering, where there was a general concensus that by sticking to a raw food diet of fruits and vegetables we can attain optimum living: increasing mental clarity, physical well being & spiritual one-ness.

This makes sense to me, in that cooking food removes their energy & mineral benefits, and that some foods are difficult for the human intestines to breakdown which incease the amount of our energy used to diegest and also increasing the types of bacteria in our stomachs that break them down/live off of them.

I stopped eating red meat and most dairy produce 2 years ago, but still eat chicken and fish as I thought I would be too weak without eating flesh, something I'm now questioning?

What do you think?

Peace

A very interested

[ 09 August 2002, 01:46: Message edited by: FireMorph ]

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
This is a thread that is hitting quite close to home actually... Most of my friends are veges...and a few of them are vegan... I, on the other hand tend to be a meat and three veg kind of girl. A lot of my vege friends happen to be very spiritual also and quite often tell me about the feeling of fear that runs through the little animals just before they are slaughtered... this kind of upsets me so about three months ago I decided to try a meat free diet... OH DEAR. I craved, and craved and craved, to the point where I would sneak meat just to satisfy that knawing feeling in my tummy... Then I snapped and started to eat meat again. I felt pretty bad about it but I think I really missed my iron...
Then about a month ago my brother met an awesome chick who he started to see who just happens to be a vegan. Now this is a very interesting situation in my family home because we are all meat eaters and my brother has always not been big on eating meat, he just kind of went along for the ride... Since starting to date this girl he has become a vegan also..Its kinda funny because my folks have been teasing the hell out of my poor little brother, it seems that I have pro meat parents... Now Im realising that the reason that I wasnt able to handle not eating meat is because I went about it the wrong way... I wasnt eating a balanced diet and therefore my body was telling me what it craved...
so I am now playing with the idea to stop eating meat...AGAIN. sigh.. Everything kinda points to me to become a vege, I walked past a butchers shop in the valley the other week and burst into tears because of all the little bodies hanging in the window.. , and I actually went to a vege resteraunt and ate TOFU... and it tasted GOOD!!!! ... oh what the hell... Ive talked myself into it... I AM GOING TO BECOME A VEGE AS OF NOW... wish me luck... Ill let you all know how I go...
wanders away muttering about 'not bugers' and wondering how to cook them....

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
OK... well its been 4 days.... and IM STILL MEAT FREE.. hooray for me
but man oh man have I been craving bacon. Im seeing it everywhere too... in the movies, walking past cafes, even in my dreams...so Im eating loads mushrooms and trying to pretend that its bacon
So far it aint working
I went to twirling on monday and told everyone with pride what I was doing and everyone kinda rolled their eyes at me and said " oh Man... are u drinking nettle tea? and taking this and that vitaman?.." Im all like.... huh?
wish me luck ...Im determined to stick to it.. ANY ADVICE?

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
FYI... Einstein was a veggie.

anyhoo, i am too (haev been since i was four) mostly outa habit....

I have had chicken five times in the past three years tho:

1: at Zel's seder (sp) it was eco-kosher and i had a little sliver and it was very good (2000)
2: on an airplane it came wit my salad i had two of those little chunks and it was not so good. (2001)
3:ok ok it was turkey and it was a little sliver of eco-turkey from a sample tray at a store where i worked and it was good too. (2001)
4. i had half of a chicken finger at arbys. it was ok. (2001)
5. this summer i had two chicken wings at a friends house (my first ever!) and they were actually really really good. (and taht's the most meat i've eaten at once since 4yrs old) i think the peopel there were kinda surprised that i ate them. (2002)

conclusion: some chicken in small amount is good for kyri. i can't eat much tho it feels weird. and i can't always eat it when offered.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

fieryfiendmember
48 posts

Posted:
Food for thought: Einstein married his cousin. I wonder if it was something he ate?

Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
didn't everyone marry their cousins back then?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
another advatange is not so obvious:
Speaking only for myself:....I find vegetarians, and caring people in general to be sexy. um is that still a fetish if it's good for you? Ima going out with an ethical vegetarian, and the most amazing people i have had the privilege to befriend this year have been ethical vegetarians.
It is my fear that my weakness for red meat and seafood (both of which whose intake I am reducing - baby steps for now:() will be seen badly when humanity reaches a more awakened, developed era.
Who remembers the KFC scene from the movie 'He-man, master of the universe'.. "what are these sticks we are eating one?....They're bones??!"

I am disturbed by the karmic consequences of casually feeding killed beings, but wonder if my life of runamokness will collapse if I don't feed (i have a voracious appetite)

ahh the consequences! now I weigh up menu choices with the extra consideration: will this food be worth eating meat for? it is no radical change, but it is my hope that from the seed will grow great big vegetable of ethical diet!

...Sunspot, how does meat consumption dull the mind? i value your opions on self-development, and am not a little concerned, actually! thanks!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
Currently omniverous, though trying to cut back on meat.
When i don't eat meat for several days, i get all pissy and cravey (a state i describe as "i wanna go stick a fork in a buffalo"), then usually snap and run off to eat some really unhealthy meat (as in: cheap, ground, fried, with bad cheese on a squished bun from a place i don't want to admit to...). So i try to eat lots of veggies (which i LOVE!) and only eat meat when i actually want it, and from a quality source. Happily, free range eggs, chicken, beef and buffalo are easy to come by around here. Buffalo, by the way, is expensive but gives a lotta bang for your buck: higher protein and lower fat than beef and lots of flavor. And they're a native animal (here, anyway *giggle*) and my understanding is that they basically have to be free range, apparently buff feedlots just don't work... I think my inner cat is just not satisfied with an all-veggie diet...

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

AardvarkOnAcidmember
92 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrian:
FYI... Einstein was a veggie.

Yes, but only for the last year or so of his life, well past his productive period =)

[ 16 August 2002, 15:25: Message edited by: AardvarkOnAcid ]

Is that all life comes down to? To be lying face down with an overenthusiastic guy in pink pin-striped pants sitting on top of you and grunting? -- Random MusingsSex, Drugs and Psytrance.

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Aardvark, while neurotic helps molebio, it's not from that, it's from Jewish boy from the midwest to begin with...

omnivore, omnicore, omnimasticated

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Page: