Forums > Social Chat > The Amazing Technicolour Dreamhair

Login/Join to Participate

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I've been wanting to dye my hair for ages, but I'm currently working in an office that would frown upon me turning up with hair that's not a usual colour, so it's probably not a good idea.

However, since I'm going to Reading for the festival at the end of the month, I'm seeing this as an opportunity to change my hair colour for a couple of days.

I've got pretty dark hair and I'm not too keen on bleaching it, and I can only keep the colour in for a few days, any suggestions?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
Have a look at the l'oreal (sp?) they may have some, but try to avoid "Metalic" hair dyes coz they last for ages and a bugger to dye out trust me i used one to dye my hair purple a couple of weeks ago, and my hair is still glowing!!!!!
My boss is not amused!!!!

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
If you want brightly colored hair, I'm afraid you have to bleach it first. If your hair is naturally dark, adding color to it will only 'tint' it. If you're happy with just a hint of purple/green/blue whatever, then cool, but if you want technicolor you gotta fry it first.

xxx

Az abouve, So below...

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Use Kool Aid-it only stays in for like 2 or 3 washes-and it comes in every colour of the rainbow for your hair dying pleasure

Just be careful that you dry your hair after every shower or else you'll ruin all your nice white t-shirts.

Om Namah Sivaya

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I was kind of after a deep shade of red or green, hoping that I'd get away without the bleaching.
I'm not too fussed about having it really bright, just in case I can't get rid of it in time and have to go to work with it.

I think I'll have to have a play with some colours the day before I go to see if anything works well enough, cheers for the info

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Don't know if you have it in England, but in Canada here there's this stuff called Ice coloured spiker. It's like a thick gel that you put in and then wash out whenever you're done with it. Gives the deep shade of intense colour that you're looking for.

Esp. nifty is that you can layer the stuff once the first bit has dried. Red on black on silver spike are always cool.

Also it holds the hair really well. You know those hairstyles that you can make with shampoo that you wish you could get to stay when you get out of the shower? It can do that.

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
cant do much with dark hair

try purple or maroon

or dye it for real and wear a wig to work WOO HOO!!

[ 08 August 2002, 09:30: Message edited by: lightbug ]

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
LOL

I'm trying to imagine the expressions of the people I work with if I walked in wearing a wig

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Erm, the problem with kool aid is that you actually have to boil your hair in the kool aid. It's not very easy or comfortable.

You can always go with manic panic or something of the sort, but you're gonna have to bleach if you want pretty much any non natural color to take. Since you've never died your hair (or at least not for a while) you can bleach it dye it red or green or whatever and then dye it back brown or black or whatever. It shouldn't hurt your hair doing that once. After you're done with your bright color just dyeing it with regular dark hair color will eat straight through the bright one so you won't have to strip it out with bleach again. It will work. Take it from someone with bright smurf blue hair.

Or you could cheat and get the colored gel stuff as Paddy suggests, but it's usually pretty obvious when you use that stuff because it looks kinda clumpy and well, like hair gel.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Cacophany_catmember
20 posts

Posted:
Well, my sister has very dark hair also and about 2 days ago we dyed her hair Aubergine really nice purple, it turned out great, we used Crazy Color by Renbow. It is a conditioning colour cream and it stays in for upto 8 washes. It only cost £4.99 and you don't need to bleach your hair.
Later on today, im dying my hair Sky Blue with the same stuff and I hope it works cause i have naturally red hair lol. Anyway thats my lil oiece, if you are in england it's available so yeah is good stuff.

Ill only bite if you ask me nicely.

Cacophany_catmember
20 posts

Posted:
oiece = piece

Ill only bite if you ask me nicely.

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
sky blue.. that sounds pretty cat. hope it turns out.

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

jexXymember
37 posts

Posted:
I was finding out about this a few weeks back cos i wanted a section of bright pink underneath my hair. I went to Toni and Guy i think it was, and u can get a 'Fudge' Temporary/Semi permanant section or strip of hair sorta glued in under your real hair or pieces added. I'm pretty sure its the Fudge hair range, altho i'm not sure how temporary it is or how it comes out but i'm sure u can find out pretty easily and that way u caould have REALLY bright colour and no bleach! The woman in the shop said it'd be 30 pounds or 25 by a trainee stylist, spose its a bit pricey for a temporary thing but u'd know it'd go right that way! Hope that helps...

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
fudge is what i use. it lasts about two weeks, if you wash a lot. but you could use some on DRY hair instead of wet as per the instructions, and don't leave it in for long, and then wash your hair a lot when you are done. the you'd probably have an eaasy time of it. red washes out pretty fast. green and blue less fast.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
anyone know a good permanent purple dye?

i think a subtler rather than a louder purple, cause i'm going to be doing reception work with it, but just for highlights... something that looks good w/dark brown.....

??

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
DO NOT bleach your hair and then dye it back to brown under any circumstances unless you want strange coloured hair.

Are we nearly there yet?