Forums > Social Chat > Big Friggin' News...maybe

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I was talking to the prof who I've been working for today and I got up the gumption to mention the possibility of my getting a Ph.D. in his lab. Problem is that I'm a medical student at University of Michigan.

So he's going to go and talk to the people at Med School Admissions (at Stanford) about the possibility of me transferring to Stanford to do an M.D./Ph.D. program. That would mean adding 3-4 years to my education. But oh my lord, I want to do it. It's just that most med schools really don't like people transferring, but maybe in this case it might be doable? Oh, and if I was in the program, they'd pay for me...and give me a stipend.

Those of you who pray, please put me in your prayers. If they let me apply, then I'm most likely in. The question is whether they'll let me apply at all. But the thought about moving back to the Bay Area...oh my lord, I hope it goes through.

I'm going to remain pessimistic and assume that I will wind up doing what I planned to do when I woke up this morning, but it would be so amazing if my plans changed and I could be an M.D., Ph.D.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I've got my fingers crossed for you Mike, good luck

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
"He who dares my son, he who dares...."

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Believe Mike... have faith and trust in yourself..know that it will happen and then watch it come about...
I know you'll get it...
lots of love to you Doc

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
What's a stipend?

Meh

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Much constant and lucky luck luck!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by C@ntus:
What's a stipend?
A stipend is basically an allowance. In other words, I'd get paid to go to school.

Let me go off for a second and explain what this is all about. Most people, when asked what their dream job would be will answer something other than their current job. Very rarely will someone answer "my job right now is my dream job."

That was where I was when I woke up this morning. My dream job isn't to be a medical student, but a professor of medicine, and there is every chance that I'll manage it. I'm one of the luckiest people alive.

But now there's this slim possibility that rather than living up to my wildest dreams, I might actually do even better than my wildest dreams. Even if this doesn't work out, I can't very well go wrong, can I?

At this point, there's nothing I can do but wait and see what happens. The ball is in their court. But if this happens...well...damn!

-Mike

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You wouldn't happen to know (and tell me) what airplane shipping bins are, would you?

Arashi won't tell me.

It seems to be pick on the english fraggle week. I must've missed the posters.

Meh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
You wouldn't happen to know (and tell me) what airplane shipping bins are, would you?
Maybe, as in like LD3 cargo containers? Or as in something that you can buy?

-Mike

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
he was gonna buy some at Walmart but he fell in love with a barbie doll instead - or something like that....

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Sorry for hijacking your thread by the way. It was never my intention. There are subliminal good luck vibes in all of my posts on this pages just for you.

Meh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Sorry for hijacking your thread by the way. It was never my intention. There are subliminal good luck vibes in all of my posts on this pages just for you.
No worries. I'm afraid that the things I know have little bearing on real life. I can't help you with airplane shipping bins.

-Mike

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Mike, that is wonderful news, even the possibility is great. I will have all my fingers & toes crossed for you...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Mike, Great news! I wish you the best luck and will pray for your success!
Keep reaching for the stars, one day you might touch them!

Love and luck!
Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Good luck Mike.

May the universe provide what you ask for.

Finn

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Mike,

I have recently begun to fully realize that when you follow your heart and truly commit to a course of action that is a product of your own will, not someone else's idea of where you should be and what you should be doing, the universe will open to you.
Best of luck, but you don't need it!

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
Don't be pessimistic! Let your optimism and desire MAKE it happen

Sending a PHAT ball of optimistic hugz your way baybeh, you CAN have what you want! you CAN! YOU CAN!

XXX

Az abouve, So below...

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
"When you want something bad enough the whole universe conspires to help you achieve it."

Best of luck...though with the whole universe backing you you don't really need it eh?

Om Namah Sivaya

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Good Luck, I'll cross my fingers for you.

I would cross my toes too, but then I'll end up walking funny

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I just heard that UofMichigan has allowed someone to transfer into Michigan for the same reason that I want to transfer out. In general, Stanford is a more flexible institution than UofM, but...that really doesn't change anything.

I'm almost enjoying not having an answer...no new is good news, right?

-Mike