Page: ......
majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
I love my hoops as much as I love poi and staff and I noticed there was a few other hooping hoppers out there. So I thought HOP needed a hooping thread for us to chat about tricks and share our love for hoops. ubblove
I have been hooping for quite awhile now and have mastered quite a few tricks but I still havn't figured how to flick it up off the ground and move it up my legs. I can get it from my knees up but I saw this chic at the a circus and she had the hoops all on the ground and was bringing them up her legs one by one. It looked awesome.
I've got an idea of what I gotta do but havn't quite got it. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on this?
Thanks
ubblovemajik
Happy Hooping! ubbrollsmile

Live, love, laugh and dance!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I believe the link is already on our site. hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
yeah the mech hooping video is already on the hyperloop hoop site biggrin just check my intro suckers smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
We (Hyperloop Hoops) were just contacted by a man from a tv company who needs a hula hooper for a few hours in LONDON THIS SUNDAY (6th April).

They said they were shooting a keep fit/ lose weight type of program, but the participants need to do an extra activity every weekend, and this weekend, it just happens to be hula hooping.

I asked about payment, and of course received the usual "well we are on a tight budget" sort of thing, so travel expenses and the 'oooh.. Im on TV' feeling will be the only payment.

If you can seriously do this, let me know, PM or phone, and I'll pass you the contact details.

Thanks.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Simian should so do that!!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I've finally cracked chest hooping!

All it took was the courage to go out in just a sports bra (and pants). I pity the neighbours, but no one's complained yet.
I'm working on "the monkey" now.

Yay me.

That is all.

Knee hooping hates me, by the way.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by :mparker

...lucky simian biggrin

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
We've just decided that we're going to drive to burningman this year (instead of flying), which means I'll be able to take my hoop with me.

So far I've done all my hooping in our very cramped living room, so having the huge space of burningman to hoop in is rediculously exciting. Some of it's even rubbed off on spitfire, who's occasionally been getting her wiggle on.

biggrin

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
ooo Mand that is indeed ridiculously exciting! Nothing like your first hoop on the playa, except maybe your first burn on the playa.

Written by :mparker

What's the monkey? Should I know what the monkey is? What's the monkey? Where's the monkey? Show me the monkey!

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
We also call the monkey the disco move some times.

It is a bit hard to explain but it is the move where you have the hoop going around your neck but with one arm in it and one out ( one up near your ear and one down by your sided) Then you swap them back and forth.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
yup think go go dancer, also a great move for doing a little bit of Saturday night fever, you can do it while hooping round the chest to, and round the waist but by dipping your hands into the gaps. it is all about finding the gaps in the hoop when it is going round.
I have no idea about hooping techy names, after the hoop girl training i grew an aversion to it, lol. don't get me wrong she is a lovely person, very happy all the time.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Okay. I know what the monkey is and do it all the time while shoulder hooping, I just didn't know it was called the monkey.

I don't really use Hoopgirl's names. I tend to refer to hoop moves by names that describe what's actually going on with the hoop. Hoopgirl's names for moves, while creative, don't give any idea of the actual movement involved, which is why I find them confusing.

Don't know why with the hoop I'm so literal, when with poi I was perfectly fine with flowers and butterflies...

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Yeah i don't like some of the hoop girl names either. I really can't see my self using the word booty with out falling over and dieing with laughter.

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i agree they are a but too.... fluffy.

i tend to do hoop and see what i can do, am stuck if people ask me i usualy just say "errrr i can do lots" lol not very techy, but i am the same with al the spinny type stuff i do, it's for fun after all

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it is funny every time sombody ask what i can do i imidiatly for get all my tricks smile

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
ARGH! The interweb ate the message I posted yesterday!

Yeah. Sorry. I watched too much 60's & 70's TV reruns growing up. There was the dance called The Monkey, so I assumed that's what it would be called when hooping, too. Some of you young'uns here might not remember that. ubblol

I also Charleston sometimes when I do poi, and that goes Waaaaay back!

I never thought of doing the "monkey" move around the neck our waist, only the shoulders, so I might have to try that next time.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Yeah it does look very monkey like. So many hoop moves remind me of crazy dance trends and styles.
Sholder hooping really reminds me of that african style dancing.

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
mparker if you slowley turn the same way the hoop is spinning it helps you practice putting your hands into the spaces when you do it around your waist as it slows the hoop down,

Blueberry i agree i find lots of the hoops moves rather tribal... or would be without the hoop lol especialy once you get the hange of the rythm and put a bit of bounce in your step

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by : Khan

I don't really use Hoopgirl's names. I tend to refer to hoop moves by names that describe what's actually going on with the hoop. Hoopgirl's names for moves, while creative, don't give any idea of the actual movement involved, which is why I find them confusing

ditto

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Thanks, GothFrogette. I'll keep that in mind. I've done that single-handed, but never thought to switch.

Blueberry, I always thought that chest-hooping was incredibly african tribal, which may be why I like it so much. It's not often a pasty white girl has an excuse to get into those kinds of movements and rhythms, which I have always loved. wink

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Ooo good tip gothfrogette. That tip works for lots of other tricks that involve timing like the lift up and down.

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
yup it makes it alot easier to practice and once you get the hang of it you can turn and bend in style making the simpler moves look more fluid and elegant. biggrin

i found out the other week that my knees can not take hooping around them (old injury) so am trying to work out some more moves to get the hoop from floor position up to my waist, any ideas? it wouldn't be too bad if i could already get the hoop from the floor with a 'kick' start but the practice that does the damage. So far i have managed to not include them into my routines and it is going well so i could just leave them out after all it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be a nice thing to do as i like linking from poi to hoop and back again.

*yawns and goes off for coffee* hug

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
whith a little bit of practices and a big scoop kick you can actually do a kick up straight to your waist. It has happend acouple of times to me by accident now i'm working on getting is solid.

I also have another trick that might work for you but i don't think i can explain it in text, i'll see if i can make a little video some time this week if you like.

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
that would be wicked and loads of help hug

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I call that move nightfever when teaching also!

I tend to use some of hoop girls names when they are descriptive (but then I work for a burlesque/pole dance company, so booty bump is fairly exceptable! took me a long time to get used to using that one however!)

However, I'm not a fan of names like warrior! Its a figure of eight for god's sake! I think its really important for names to have at least a bit of description in them, otherwise its really hard to remember them.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i too am a fan of the booty bounce lol but the worrior stumps me as do most of the others to think of it, which is why i am not a big fan lol

do you incorporate hooping into burlesque? i am working on it but would love to meet another who does to swap tips

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
wooo, well i managed to walk the hoop up my arms today and get it round my neck, only problem was, once it was round my neck, it did a few rotations and no matter how vigorously or calmly i bobbed my neck about it fell off my shoulder.

Any tips on neck hooping greatly appreciated smile

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
I move more in a forwards-backwards direction, much like you'd teach someone to do with regular waist hooping in the beginning... rather than trying to rotate; and it works, but it looks kinda (actually, very) stiff and whatever the opposite of smooth/flowing is.

more like zombie hooping, than hoop dancing... I'm guessing that's just more practise shrug

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i think it may be a case of just more practice, to get the feel of the hoop and it's rotation. extending your neck so it makes the most of it's length and looking up may help too. Are you more used to shoulder hooping? i get the exact oppostite problem when i am hooping around my shoulders...it like to go up round my neck more, and i think it is because i am more used to neck hooping than shoulder. hug

lol on zobie hooping, i have seen quite a few people like that, someone should do a hoop routine to thriller ubblol or maybe i should i go for more coffee biggrin

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Seriously, I am more of a waist bum and thigh hooper! ubblol This was the first time i successfully got it up there!!

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
ubblol you see i have no problem getting it up there which is my problem as it seems to have a mind of it's own and doesn't like staying around my shoulders

Page: ......