Page: ......
majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
I love my hoops as much as I love poi and staff and I noticed there was a few other hooping hoppers out there. So I thought HOP needed a hooping thread for us to chat about tricks and share our love for hoops. ubblove
I have been hooping for quite awhile now and have mastered quite a few tricks but I still havn't figured how to flick it up off the ground and move it up my legs. I can get it from my knees up but I saw this chic at the a circus and she had the hoops all on the ground and was bringing them up her legs one by one. It looked awesome.
I've got an idea of what I gotta do but havn't quite got it. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on this?
Thanks
ubblovemajik
Happy Hooping! ubbrollsmile

Live, love, laugh and dance!

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
...passes me by

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Jed showed me how to keep it on my knees tnite

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Good for you Gnor! Knee/leg hooping is the bane of my (hooping) existence! It took me months just to be able to keep it going at my knees, and now I can do that but can't get it back up. I have some minor knee problems that I don't want to become major, so I don't practice it that much.

Pogo69: keep working the stuff you know, figure out transitions and get them smooth...the other stuff will come in time.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
thanks, khan... you know, it was your poi/hooping vids posted here and elsewhere fairly recently that inspired me to try hooping...? the seed of thought had already been planted, but watching you hoop convinced me. so... hug

that's exactly what I need right now, I think... start looking for some flow (transitions etc) instead of just a bunch of isolated tricks like I have to play with now.

also need to start clockwise wiggling more... is sadly lacking, so reversals become a lil bit frustrating.

as for the knee/leg hooping... I got to the point where I could knee hoop relatively quickly, but it's still not solid.

chest and/or shoulder hooping is where I really wanna go next, but... I think I'll predominantly concentrate more on getting what I already know to become a bit more natural.

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
pogo69: hug that makes me happy. biggrin

~ ani di franco

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Yep...and with a bit of a push from me and my push having come from Caroleeena... biggrin

My daughter picked up the knee hooping and moving from waist back up to her neck like she'd been doing it from birth...but it's taken me weeks to figure out how to do lifts...is what happens when you start getting *cough*old*cough* I guess...

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
fyrespirit you know Caroleeena!?!? she's so lovely...I saw her around a bunch on tribe and then we finally met in person when I went to a hoop retreat in Carrboro back in July.

~ ani di franco

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Yep...met her this summer...we live in the same general area...

Caroleeena is great...a true free spirit that just loves to spread the love...and just so much fun, too...

She told me that she knew you after I mentioned that Pat (Pogo) had been watching your vids to learn...and we all have been kind of giggling over what a small world it can be...

Love your new vid, btw...saw it on the hooping tribe...and I agree with the jumping up and down, hissy fit...that's my general 'frustration dance,' too... ubblol

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
*squeeeeeee!!*
I am about to do my first All-hoops show! Been hooping forever and performed hoop sets in shows - but this is 30 minutes and 16 hoops of awesome hoopy goodness - sooooo much fun smile
*bounce bounce bounce*
I'm excited can you tell?

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
fyrespirit: biggrin thanks. hug

Eveish did your show already happen? 30 minutes 16 hoops: that's a lot of hoopin'!!

~ ani di franco

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Yeah it was last week - It was awesome smile 16 hoops, and fire hoop finale biggrin
went down really well.
Happy hoopin' all

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
wwwhhoooooo Eve,,pics? vid?

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Performance Hoopers, please read here
[Old link]

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
starring me and Mech and my friend Kate

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Not half as sexy but good value

Is it the Truth?

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
ubblol heheheh that's awesome gnor! *giggles* good on him 'ey? biggrin hehe*:.

Eve! sounds like you rocked it! biggrin got any piccies? that *is* a hell of a lot of hoopin! woah.... you must be super fit! ...or totally buggered after all that! Hoop till ya drop! ubbrollsmile

EDITED_BY: .:* Moon Pixie *:. (1204096931)

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Jo I'm loving the sexy moves, and who knew Mech was so wiggly! I'm going to have to train him up to be our Hyperloop Hoops male model hooper!

The guy in Gnor's vid was great. I love his cute little wiggle up from the knees. Watch that bootie go!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Jo - Awesome video... loved the boogy (and the booty wink )

Gnor - What a fantastic video! That guy can hoop!

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Jo has a smile that lights up the room biggrin. Mech is simply Mech. hug

Is it the Truth?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkh0vdhAfKs

Does this slinky thing with a horde of hoops. How strong must her core be.

At 2.35 and 2.49 looks amazing. Not sure if its good for her but looks amazing

Is it the Truth?

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
That IS pretty cool looking...

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

Does this slinky thing with a horde of hoops. How strong must her core be.
At 2.35 and 2.49 looks amazing. Not sure if its good for her but looks amazing

Pretty awsome hey.
It would probably not be that bad for her, most people that do circus style hooping use lighters hoops than the hoop dance kind.

When we made our slinky we looked every where for the lightest pipe beacuse once you have five or six going it gets to heavy and pulls you of center if they are too big.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

CaveyBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
I just got sent a fire hula hoop from QLD from my friend for my birthday.

Can anyone teach me? I've been watching videos but I'm kinda boarding the fail boat most of the time

Help? Pretty please? ^__^

I'm in Sydney btw :-D

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Cavey have you ever hooped before? If not I'd advise learning with a non fire hoop first. Practice with the spines taken off first and once you have learned things without the spines try it with the spines, before lighting up.

CaveyBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Skulduggery

Cavey have you ever hooped before? If not I'd advise learning with a non fire hoop first. Practice with the spines taken off first and once you have learned things without the spines try it with the spines, before lighting up.

I can walk and hula hoop at the same time, that's the extent of it redface but I really want to learn it

I have so much fun with my staff and poi so this could possibly be even more fun ^__^

I know I have to practice with it unlit first for quite some time I think. I'm trying to find someone that would be able to teach me. I wouldn't light it up before I knew exactly what to do. It's definately not as easy as some videos make it look.
EDITED_BY: Cavey (1205056068)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
That's good to hear Cavey. You never can tell, some people would light up straight away. I'm glad to hear you are not one of them smile

There are some videos of lesson on You-tube and hopefully more will be getting put up. We have been working on some for our site, but it's been a bit slow going lately what with other commitments.

Have you tried looking in the events & the meets sections here on HoP for people to link up with. I know there are other hoopers in your area, but for the life of me I can't remember any names right now...

[EDIT]

A quick search reviled that there ia a meet that happens Thursday nights at the park at the end of Glebe Point Road -Blackwattle Bay, Glebe. There maybe hoopers there?

Maybe worth a try.
EDITED_BY: Skulduggery (1205057177)

CaveyBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
I know where that is smile

I'll have to con my flatmate into taking me there though... the only problem with being given a hula hoop is that I can't take it on my motorbike frown

I'll def go check it out though ^__^ Thank you

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:

... some videos of lesson ... We have been working on some for our site,

Do they have Mech in them?? smile

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Nope. We were not that lucky. Maybe next time he comes to visit.

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:

Nope. We were not that lucky. Maybe next time he comes to visit.

Well then I don't know why you're bothering. He is clearly the master of all things hoop, just put links to Jo's video on your site instead... smile wink smile

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Page: ......