Page: ......
majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
I love my hoops as much as I love poi and staff and I noticed there was a few other hooping hoppers out there. So I thought HOP needed a hooping thread for us to chat about tricks and share our love for hoops. ubblove
I have been hooping for quite awhile now and have mastered quite a few tricks but I still havn't figured how to flick it up off the ground and move it up my legs. I can get it from my knees up but I saw this chic at the a circus and she had the hoops all on the ground and was bringing them up her legs one by one. It looked awesome.
I've got an idea of what I gotta do but havn't quite got it. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on this?
Thanks
ubblovemajik
Happy Hooping! ubbrollsmile

Live, love, laugh and dance!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Happy wiggling Nigel! hug

The Royal Mail actually delivered a first class mail the day after it was posted eek I'm amazed! ubblol Does that mean the end of the world is nigh? confused

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
bounce

I ordered mine yesterday and it's already been shipped!! those hyperloop hoopers are fandabbydosey!! biggrin

I am muchly looking forward to receiving my new hoop, wiggle wiggle! x

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hi guys, I'm trying to learn chest hooping. Has anyone got any tips for doing it without looking like I'm performing some very bizarre mating ritual, only to have it fall to my waist or the ground after a couple of spins. No matter how many hours I seem to try, I'm not making much improvement... hehe

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Imagine you have a long piece of string attached to your sternum that has a weight on the end of it.You want to make the weight draw small circles so you wiggle your body from the top of the string at your chest. In other words instead of wiggling at your waist you will now be wiggling at chest level.

If you imagine this bit of string running down your body length all you have to do to get the hoop to stay at any point on your body is imagine getting the weight to move from that string at that particular place of the body.... hmm, this is so much easier to explain in real life than in text.... I hope that makes some sense to you.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Personally, I just practised it alone when no-one was watching me to laugh! ubblol

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
that is good. the mail is usualy ok although i had one hoop take over ten days to get there first class!!!

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Most of the hoops we send out via royal mail, we send first class registered post and the longest they take is 3 days and that's usually to the out of the way places or off shore. I'm happy to say the last 2 we posted reached their destinations less than 24 hours after posting.
bounce

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
yeah they usualy take about 2-3 days, but i just couldn't believe the ten day one talk about long, and it was just to the next county!! hug

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
hyperloop hoops all the way. Any other hoop just fails in comparison.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I just feel like sharing this.

Yesterday I took a beginner's hooping class/workshop (with Anna Lebedinsky, the Russian Hooper, who is an amazing, beautiful person.)

Oh. My. God!!! I'm still jazzed from it.

First off, I'm in Houston, where it's incredibly difficult to find people who do the spinning/poi/hooping arts for fun. There are some performers, but not a whole lot in the way of just getting together to learn and play. And it's all so spread out that when there is something, it's generally difficult to get to.

I've never been workshop or class type person. I've never been comfortable in classes where you do something physical. Too much gym class in school, you know? Plus I'm a really shy person. And I thought I'd just feel SILLY. But I've really been enjoying learning to hoop and I thought it would be fun. But I had NO IDEA.

Just being in a room with a bunch of new hoopers, and having that energy and connection of everyone being open and learning...it was amazing. I easily learned things that I've been struggling with. And the things I didn't actually pick up, well, I now have the intellectual knowledge so I can work on developing body knowledge over time (the left side of my body doesn't want to do things *grin*).

I guess I just want to say that if you have the opportunity to get into a workshop or group, TAKE IT!! I'm aching, all my muscles hurt, and I'm still grinning like a loon.

I just wanted to share my joy and feeling of discovery. I'm sure most of you huys are old-hat at workshops.

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
lol go you *hugs*

not too bad with worshops now although i prefer doing them than taking them!!! its far more scary but so much fun seeing the hoopers getting the hang of it and especialy when they learn a new move... i have taught a 60+ year old who remembers it from the 50's and never thought she would be able to do it again. seeing her face made it so worth it though hug

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
It's funny that you mention the 60+ year old. My mom is 67 and has never hooped in her life. I talked her into going to the workshop with me, and she was just so thrilled that she learned to hoop -- in both directions. She had this look of total amazement on her face when it clicked for her.

She has really delicate hands, though and bruised one trying some of the neater tricks, so we have to get her some fingerless gloves to practice her upper-body work in.

It's going to be fun, since I was able to learn some things she didn't have time for, so later I'll be teaching her the stuff I learned. Which should be a whole different look at it for me. I'll sort of get to experience the workshop from both sides. ubbrollsmile

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
get her the bike ones as they are grippy, you can even wear a nice padded pair of wolly ones under them too smile makes it much more comfy... and yeay go your mum hug

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Thanks. I'll tell her to get those. She'll be thrilled that she can learn the hand tricks without her veins swelling up. And a little extra grip never hurt anyone! ubblol

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OieV55-MoPc&mode=related&search

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
That's depressingly good!

Except for the part at the end - cos I can do that! I'm good at dropping it! tongue

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
eek

Whoa, man. I'm really feeling my suck right now.

Glorious video. And it's giving me some good ideas on bettering my flow. mmmm...must study.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Thats so beautiful! thanks for that link! I know what I'm going to be doing all weekend! (Although, to be fair, I'd probably be doing it all weekend anyway).

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
yay! i just bought myself a hoop....now i just need to work out how to use it biggrin so i dont get put to shame by all the 7 year olds who are better than me next time i go to bristol! any are there any good websites with hoop tutorials?

if i could be a busy busy bee...

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
with hooping.org and tribe.net you will probably find more usefull videos if you look way back at the old posts. People post more performances style stuff now where as the old stuff is often just one or two tricks. : )

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
cool biggrin thanking you! i have banished myself and my hooping to the garage....i broke a candle holder this morning in the sitting room... and is it normal to get horrible bruises from hoops? i have one on my hip and one on the back of my shoulder!

if i could be a busy busy bee...

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
yes it is, but you will get used to it and they do not bruise every time you use it, althgouh you can still ache the day/days after you have a good amount of hoop practice hug

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I found that I stopped bruising after the first couple of weeks. I only bruise now if I try hooping somewhere I'm not used to, I'm currently building up my knee tolerance!

I think your body kind of builds up an immunity to it, and also I think you learn (subconsciously) how to move with the hoop in a way that causes the hoop to impact less on your body, therefore reducing bruising.

So, don't worry, it gets, much, much better pretty quickly hug2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Anyone got any advice on how not to bruise ankles when kick starting a hoop from the floor ubbidea

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Well, me and a freind were discussing this last monday. We concluded that the best solution is to firstly wrap lots of cotton wool round your ankles, before bandaging that up. Then you simply use mod-rock (bandages soaked in plaster) to produce a plaster cast around your ankles.

Hey presto! You won't feel a thing! wink

Ralph Waldo Emerson

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Apparently the hoops I use are too big and heavy for serious hooping. wink But I can at least keep them up.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I'm kind of jealous. I got bruising at first, but they didn't show. I got them on my tummy/abs, but they seemed to be below the skin. I DO have a good bit of padding, so that probably explains things. The only ones I seem to get are on my knees/shins where I don't have any said padding.

(and yes, it is a bit odd for me to feel that way, but I figure if I EARNED the bruises and I FEEL the bruises that I should be able to SEE the bruises!)
redface

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
As a separate statement:
I discovered chest hooping last Monday. Yay! So fun...soooo tiring! Played with it for quite a bit. And for some reason I can't do it anymore...? confused

What is it about hooping with a group of people? I can do amazing things, the hoop stays up for the most part, I can hoop for hours non-stop and pick up tricks almost effortlessly. Then when I'm by myself...it all goes away and I have to work SO hard at it.

Darned happy blissful group auras...makin' me think I can hoop. Makin' me have to be all social and stuff. grouphug

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I'm the opposite! Works a treat at home alone but as soon as someone is watching me - not a chance! ubblol

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
the hoop mocks me, just like every other object of manipulation...

as with poi, I managed to pick up the 1st handful of tricks really easily (counter-clockwise; I'm still working on clockwise). but I'm not getting very far, very quickly with anything else.

would help, of course, if I wasn't so easily distracted by every single shiny thing that...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Page: ......