Page: ...
majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
I love my hoops as much as I love poi and staff and I noticed there was a few other hooping hoppers out there. So I thought HOP needed a hooping thread for us to chat about tricks and share our love for hoops. ubblove
I have been hooping for quite awhile now and have mastered quite a few tricks but I still havn't figured how to flick it up off the ground and move it up my legs. I can get it from my knees up but I saw this chic at the a circus and she had the hoops all on the ground and was bringing them up her legs one by one. It looked awesome.
I've got an idea of what I gotta do but havn't quite got it. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on this?
Thanks
ubblovemajik
Happy Hooping! ubbrollsmile

Live, love, laugh and dance!

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Absolutely. If you're using one of those small, plastic children's hoops that you can get in a toy store or something, they are not made for grown-ups and you will have difficulty with them. I make my own, using irrigation tubing - they are about 4 to 5 feet in diameter and weigh a lot more than the toys. For tons of tips and hoop making instructions, check out hooping.org.

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Oh shizzle.

https://dizzyhips.com/

The vids kids, check out the vids.

wow!!!!!!!!!! wowowowowowwww!!!!! cool

Hula-cinations!!! ubblol

I AM working.

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
thanx rbmnyc...

last night i grabed some 20mm pvc tubing and a couple of straight connectors and made one, just to try it out!

got it right... still think i could go bigger tho, will prolly add a half meter or so onto the circumferance this evening... but will see.

Thanx for the tip tho!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
actually - I lied about the size ... most of my hoops these days are under 4 feet in diameter - so I hope I didn't mislead you into making it too big ... (I'm not so good with measurements and stuff.)

the best diameter is one where the hoop reaches between your navel and your chest from the floor.

Good luck and happy hooping. I keep meaning to make a video ... but you know how these things go .... as soon as I have one, I'll post a link here. There's so much you can do with a hoop!

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
pie are squared!

I AM working.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
an idea I just found on tribe.com...

Sparkely Hoops!

no, not of the wire wool variety, but sparklers wired to the wicks I suppose... would that work?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
That'd totally work! Except by the time you'd got the 6th one lit, the first one would be about half gone.

But it's worth a shot. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Yeah - I saw that post too - and I thought - why not just make a fire hula hoop? You could use kevlar, and soak it in lamp oil, and it would last longer and probably look more impressive .....

Ah - but we are ahead of the curve here, aren't we?

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
I've dismantled my fire hoop (saying I've dismantled Paul would sound odd) and I'm about to try to take it to Ireland with me tomorrow (wish me luck!)

Reagan - you're missing the point... the SPARKLEY bit! wink hug

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
But what music do you listen to while spinning your sparkley hoop?

wink wink wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FleaBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
Hello Hoopy people..

I just started hooping two months ago. If anyone knows of hoopers in Tassie..please tell me..thanks!

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
i dont hoop myself............

but i had the pleasure of filming Molly in ireland...........

her hooping rocks!!

biggrin ubbrollsmile biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Molly + Hoop = ubblove

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
Written by: pineapple pete

omg majik, you're in byron bay. im almost definetly coming up for the next blues fest. will have to meet you. hug

cheers, pete biggrin

Havn't made it to a blues fest for a few years but tell me for sure if your coming up. We can play. bounce2

Live, love, laugh and dance!

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I once hooped for 26 seconds.

That's my record so far.

I don't think I could ever do it again frown

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know where in Wales I can get drainage tubing to make a hop? I've looked about and everyone I ask thinks I'm crazy. Help before I lose the will to wiggle!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
No!

Well... you COULD order the stuff we do from the US. If you order a big packet it's not THAT expensive and you've got enough stuff to make about 9 hoops.

You should check it out as it might actually be cheaper. The tape can get costly too if you get too excited and order too many colours. biggrin

Yay for the Wiggle Wiggle!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Skully, I got some from Wickes although that may be no help if there isn't one near you. smile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Thanks Star we do have one up the road. What did you ask for? When I say irrigation tubing they keep taking me to see that hosepipe stuff with holes in.

NYC where in the USA do I order this from...... it is a pretty big place you know tongue

grouphug

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I just found it in the plumbing/drainage section. They had it in rolls or in 2m pieces that can be fastened together. It was quite cheap and if you buy a roll you can make lots of hoops ubblove

All i need now is lots of coloured tape to make it pretty!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Electrical tape is cheap.... but you are limited on colours, Black, white, blue, red, orange, brown and green/yellow stripe. Sadly no shocking pink........ I'll just have to stitch my hoops some furry tubes in shocking pink..... or maybe knitt them a very long thin sock in fluffy pink wool biggrin

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
a haberdashery near me sells fluffy tape/ribbony stuff. It seems like the perfect covering for a hoop, i just need to save up some pennies.. fluffy hoop ubblove

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I want one thats ultra padded ubblol Molly's Hoop bit me in Ireland. I had a HUGE bruise ubblol

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
I cant get the dizzy hips website to work... what am i doing wrong? is the addy wrong on here? xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
redface
Thank you strugz and fluff smile
You were rather fine wigglers yourselves (I'm sure I saw you have a shot strugz)

I thought you'd like to know that molly mole has taken up hooping!
There are pictures on tribe.net but I can't make them show up here rolleyes

Finger hooping for portable fun wink

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Molly... have you got a vid? xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
there's going to be some molly-hooping in the Irish Invasion video when it gets done I think *makes hopeful faces at strugz* otherwise no. smile

The dizzyhips site is down at the moment - try hooping.org for exciting links or groovehoops.com for a very funky video of some cool New York hoopers (but one with a rather scantily clad young lady in it)

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Is there going to be any hoopy goodness at falmouth??

I really want to learn more!!

I've just spent the last hour with lots of sparkly tape and my hoop. it looks pretty biggrin

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah id really like to be able to do it... it looks real pretty and could do with the exercise!!! xxx

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Ooo I had great fun playing fire hoop on the meadows last night - NYC even videod it. Now if I was only clever enough to work out how to put videos onto internet...

There should be a hoop travelling down for Fluff, that is if she still would like one smile

Page: ...