Page: ......
majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
I love my hoops as much as I love poi and staff and I noticed there was a few other hooping hoppers out there. So I thought HOP needed a hooping thread for us to chat about tricks and share our love for hoops. ubblove
I have been hooping for quite awhile now and have mastered quite a few tricks but I still havn't figured how to flick it up off the ground and move it up my legs. I can get it from my knees up but I saw this chic at the a circus and she had the hoops all on the ground and was bringing them up her legs one by one. It looked awesome.
I've got an idea of what I gotta do but havn't quite got it. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on this?
Thanks
ubblovemajik
Happy Hooping! ubbrollsmile

Live, love, laugh and dance!

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i'd say the majority of poi is done in vertical planes, whereas hoop is mainly horizontal

turning 180 with vertical planes means you're spinning (subjectively) in the other direction

whereas turning 180 with horizontal planes, you're still spinning the same direction.

so learning both ways is less important to hoop than poi.

unless you want to do vertical hoop with 180 turns.

or to do handstands.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Unless you want to pass the hoop from one person to another, in which case you either need to sneak up behind them to get it going in the same direction or learn stuff backwards smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

i'd say the majority of poi is done in vertical planes, whereas hoop is mainly horizontal

turning 180 with vertical planes means you're spinning (subjectively) in the other direction

whereas turning 180 with horizontal planes, you're still spinning the same direction.

so learning both ways is less important to hoop than poi.

unless you want to do vertical hoop with 180 turns.

or to do handstands.

It's really apples and oranges.

With hooping you're spinning in horizontal planes while turning horizontally. (Even though I'm all about vertical now.)

With poi you're spinning in vertical planes while turning horizontally.

There really is no direct translation in poi to 'hooping in the wrong direction'. In some moves (like corkscrew or windmill) it SORT OF makes sense but in moves like weaves and butterflies there is no 'wrong direction' in the same sense as hooping.

Hooping in the wrong direction has mirror symmetry whereas a poi butterfly is not a mirror image of reverse butterfly.

You could go your entire life not knowing how to corkscrew in the 'wrong' direction and nobody'd know the difference. I think the same is true for hooping. Though, in hooping you do often see people switching direction which is obvious to an external observer.

The fact that there are two things in poi and normally one in hooping further complicates the situation. If you were working with two hoops in different directions (which gives me a headache) you'd obviously have to know 'both ways' whereas there is no paralell for 4 poi (which also hurts my head.)

In my humble opinion:

Learning a corkscrew or windmill in both directions is not very important if you want to be a beginner or intermediate poi spinner. I never spin a corkscrew in the wrong direction and it doesn't hurt my poi.

Learning horizontal hoop moves in the wrong direction is not very important if you want to be a beginner or intermediate hooper.

Learning vertical moves like weaves and butterflies both forward and reverse is obviously very important to even a beginner.

Learning vertical moves outside the body is a completely different move set in hooping. I think it is important to learn it both ways or you'll never be able to turn with it.

Most importantly, most general hoop theory is years behind poi theory right now. Those VERY few hoopers that have reached a high level of technique would be just as attached to 'learning everything both ways' as the MANY communities of poi spinners that have reached an advanced level.

If there was a 'Simian' of the hoop world, he'd tell you to learn it both ways. wink hug

I can hoop both ways about as ineffectively as I can corkscrew both ways and I find that I notice it more when hooping.

Long story short (too late): You don't need to learn hooping both ways to be happy. Have fun and play and the audience won't be able to tell the difference. If, later, you find yourself lacking because you don't know reverse you can deal with it then.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
*slaps NYC and Simian* Haven't I already told you that we aren't going to allow hooping to get all techie and stuff! Sheesh BOYS!

ubblol

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
My hoop is miles and miles away up up in the north frown

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

*slaps NYC and Simian* Haven't I already told you that we aren't going to allow hooping to get all techie and stuff! Sheesh BOYS! ubblol

ubblol oh Skully, I do sympathize. But, I'm glad for the bit of techie-ness shared above.

I hadn't made the distinction between horizontal & vertical plane and how they impacted one's ability to spin in either direction. It seems so obvious now that it's been said. Thanks tech-boys, your comments helped a bunch!

Off the topic of this post, but on topic of this thread, last night I managed to get the hoop from waist to neck, then up over my head with my hands in prayer position then back down to my neck and back down to my waist! biggrin me proud & happy.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

*slaps NYC and Simian* Haven't I already told you that we aren't going to allow hooping to get all techie and stuff! Sheesh BOYS!

WE aren't going to ALLOW? Sweetie, you me and and a thousand simians together couldn't lay a finger on where hooping is and isn't going. The technical level is already exploding exponentially.

You can either jump on board or get run over by it.

As for me, I'm haning on to the shoelaces and getting dragged in the dirt as I desperately try to learn hoop theory.

The nice thing about hooping is that it MAKES you dance. So by getting techy you automatically combine the two. ubblove

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
good point!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
umm I never knew I could be SO confused by all that hoop theory. ubblol

I like hooping both ways at the same time. It confuses me and when they hit it makes a huge bang.

hug me!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Not sure if she's cute or scary.

The hoop is cool anyway.

Non-Https Image Link

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i'd say scary. It's the look on her face, the eyebrows. She's saying "yes, I can hoop, but this is just to distract from the fact I am going to kill you when the lights are off. muhahaha"
*shudder*

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
oh man I was about to go to bed! now look what you have stuck in my head.. bah. ubblol

hug me!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh, and for those of you that haven't seen this video from Hooping.org

THIS is technical hooping.

Kinda reminds me of an old PK poi video with the trees in the background or something.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Wow, that video's given me a grrrrrrreat idea!
Dressed up as sexy cowboys and cowgirls we hoop and hoop and make it look like we're lassooing! Yeeeeeharrr! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Or we could just learn to lasso. That's a badass toy too.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Work/ school friendly picture of a man with hoops...
he doesnt know how to use them though..
and he needs new shorts.. rolleyes

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Why wouldn't you just post the image?

Non-Https Image Link

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
aaaw thats cute! the elephant I mean not the fella with bad shorts..although I hope whoever taught him that isn't mean to him..or her.
cuuuuute:D

hug me!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Yesterday I mastered a new move called "spin the hoop below your knees and shatter and spray a drinking glass all the way across your living room." ubblol It made Jon jump!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
That's hot.

Can you do it both ways yet?

And more importantly, what was Jon doing in your living room? wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
hooping wink

Gayle.....!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
NYC: Cos I chose not to this time.. tongue

"what was Jon doing in your living room? "
Watching her butt as she was hooping.. wink

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I made a collaspible hoop!!
Its collasped and off on the train across Australia

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

I found the koolest hooping kitten ubbrollsmile

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

KupschSILVER Member
163 posts

Posted:
quality

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UraniumChipOxidationFacility

Watching her butt as she was hooping.. wink

spank You weren't supposed to be watching my wobbly bottom! You were meant to be wowed by the glass smashing trick and my great vacuuming technique! ubblol tongue

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"great vacuuming technique"

umm ubbangel

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
ubblol